Vox AC30CCH Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Adam79, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Adam79

Adam79 Member

I'm thinking about buying a used Vox AC30CCH head. Is it true that these newer Chinese made Vox's are more reliable than the older UK models? Is there anything inparticular that I should look out for when testing it out?

Thanks,
    Adam

2. Staticbuster

Staticbuster Member

I don't know about them being more reliable than the old UK models, I've never heard that before. One thing to mention is this: I assume the head is the same as the AC30cc combo model, in that it's tube rectified. If so, don't bother with the standby switch. Just keep it set to on, as using the standby switch puts undue strain on the rectifier tube and will cause premature failure of the tube.

FWIW, one day I am going to get one of these models, be it the head or 1x12 version. I love my AC15cc, but I'd love to have the 30 watts too.

3. Gretsch&Vox

Gretsch&Vox Member

They (UK & Chinese) are equally reliable.

Agree--->don't use the standby switch. That applies to both UK & Chinese series.

4. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

I had a CC head and didn't know about the standby switch thing.

I always used it an never had an issue.

5. geek-mo

geek-mo Supporting Member

I have one and love it! I just use the power switch and it works every time. I actually bought it to mod at some point, using Lyle Caldwell's suggested changes. However, it sounds so good as-is that I am not in any hurry to do it.

I've opened up the amp and the build quality looks quite good. I also recommend these amps because they have some rudimentary power scaling. You can change the output bias and run the amp at 22 watts and adjust the filtering as well.

6. Adam79

Adam79 Member

I'm only thinking about buying the head cuz it's the cheapest tube amp that's avialable locally. I'd rather a Fender, but don't have the cash. The last time I tried out an AC30 was too long ago to remember well. From the demos I've listened to online it sounds overly bright.
    It's a decent drive to the seller, so I'm thinking about going to a local store and trying one of the new AC30s to make sure I like it. Do the new ones sound close enough to the the CC models for it to be worth my time?

Thanks again,
    Adam

7. damian1

damian1 Member

The cc's are great amps. Get it.

8. acemcguire

acemcguire Supporting Member

Agreed. I have the AC15CC and the AC30HWH. Both are excellent toneful amps for the money that sound much better than Fenders in the same price range.

9. rolsen

rolsen Member

Mines going strong after over 8 yrs! Standby blew the rec tube and fuse, but I followed advice at the time and switch to JJs all around, keep standby 'on' always. I keep it on 30 watt, 'vintage' filter, use the effects loop and an aby setup to use both inputs, but 'normal' for gainier tones, too boost for edge of breakup tones. Pretty sweet sounding head!

10. Gretsch&Vox

Gretsch&Vox Member

Agree.

I miss mine; but it was too big, and loud, for my apartment living room. A great amp, nonetheless.

11. thebard42

thebard42 Supporting Member

I have been gassing for a new amp lately, but last night I had a chance to really open it up. It sounds so glorious loud.

12. geek-mo

geek-mo Supporting Member

Yes, indeed! It's rare when I have a chance to do this, but it sounds amazing. It's not just louder, it's bigger and better in every way. These amps sound great at lower volumes, but they are meant to be cranked.

(The same holds true for the AC15.)

13. Adam79

Adam79 Member

JJ's? I've never tried these cuz most of the reviews I've read were negative. However, I've never had an amp w/ EL84s.. mainly 6L6 and a couple EL34. The AC30 I'm looking at has EH tubes, whose reviews haven't been much better than the JJ's I've seen. But again, those were for their EL34's.

A local store has an Ampeg V4 at the same price. I'm gonna go down there today n compare it to whatever AC30 they have (most likely the new CC2).

Also, if I get the CCH I'll be using it w/ my 1960A cab that's loaded w/ G12-65's. These speakers are a good match w/ bright amps, as they tend to tame their brightness.

14. thebard42

I use Tung-Sol preamps and JJ Power tubes. That seems to be the combination that works for me. If it is too bright just use the cut knob to taste. I also did the Lyle Caldwell mods and they made the normal channel much more usable.

15. rolsen

rolsen Member

Haven't tried tung sol preamp tubes, but it seems they're just as popular as JJs. Could you describe the difference? I've read tungs are brighter, which worries me, but maybe they're richer sounding, nicer overdrive characteristics?

16. thebard42

I would say the Tung-Sols have more clarity and break up in a manner that I find pleasing over JJs, EHs, Sovtek, and Grovetubes. They might be brighter, but that is easily corrected by adjusting the cut knob. Normally I run the cut completely off on the normal channel and just use the tone knob on my guitar if it is too bright (and I play telecasters).