Vox AC30's reliability???

kevod23

I have a buddy who has an AC30 and he just had the inputs literally melt together. I had never seen that on an amp and thought it might be something that is a sign of a much bigger problem. A coworker of my wife's just offered to sell me his AC30 and given what I've seen my buddy go through, I'm a bit apprehensive. Anyone have any info on what the most common problems are and the relative cost to fix them? I love how the amps sound, but would rather spend the extra money on something that will work instead of paying a repair shop over and over...

Cirrus

I've got a cc series ac30 I got 2 years ago that's not had anything go wrong with it.

They do run hot so weak/defective components are quite likely to go at some point. I'm pretty sure it's the 60's and 70's ac30s that are most likely to do things like catch fire in the third set.

I think if you look after the amp with the occasional service I don't think it'll be any less reliable than another brand. A good preventative measure is doing a little to cool the inside down - I took the spill guard out from above the power tubes because they were basically being cooked in a metal box, for example.

mcdes

Member of no importance
Been playing with one for over four years, no problems here.......

alschnier

Silver Supporting Member
there's a big difference between the JMI models from the '60s & the amps being offered today (w/ a lot of variety in between too).

I've owned several JMI era amps & am currently touring w. 2 of them. I play 3 hr. shows, speakers are vintage, tubes NOS. HIGHLY recommend both, the VOX book from Jim Elyea, as well as the Field Guide from Stephen Grosvenor.

I was always hesitant to take mine on the road. But, I figured if Mike Campbell can do it, THe Edge can do it, TP, Brian May, they must be OK.

kevod23

OK here's another question. Given that the amp is in relatively good shape, but he has had some things repaired mostly due to heat related factors. what do you think is a fair asking price? I've seen new ones ranging between $1,100 - $1,500.

iainmc

there's a big difference between the JMI models from the '60s & the amps being offered today (w/ a lot of variety in between too).

I've owned several JMI era amps & am currently touring w. 2 of them. I play 3 hr. shows, speakers are vintage, tubes NOS. HIGHLY recommend both, the VOX book from Jim Elyea, as well as the Field Guide from Stephen Grosvenor.

I was always hesitant to take mine on the road. But, I figured if Mike Campbell can do it, THe Edge can do it, TP, Brian May, they must be OK.
& that guy from Moe. oh...

/i

kevod23

so in looking around at the differences, the cc1, cc2 and from my understanding, all new Vox amps are made in China. Is this a downside like most other things that are outsourced to asia or are the amps still soundly built? Do the cc_ have a seperate Tube Chasis or are the tubes on the circuit board. The Vox website doesn't give much info in that regard and I saw they had a Handwired version which usually mean the other version is a mass produced former shell of what the amp should embody??

Cirrus

so in looking around at the differences, the cc1, cc2 and from my understanding, all new Vox amps are made in China. Is this a downside like most other things that are outsourced to asia or are the amps still soundly built? Do the cc_ have a seperate Tube Chasis or are the tubes on the circuit board. The Vox website doesn't give much info in that regard and I saw they had a Handwired version which usually mean the other version is a mass produced former shell of what the amp should embody??
The CC series were made in China. The components aren't all "top of the line" - in particular things like plastic jacks and flimsy toggle switches. But the cabs are VERY well put together using decent wood and good workmanship. For the first couple of years of production there were some flaws in the manufacture that led to a reputation for unreliability. But by the last few years they'd been ironed out and the amps were really solid beasts. My amp's constantly transported around, has been used on 80+ gigs and run in its flightcase over cobbled streets, gravel, uneven surfaces, and in the last two years the only thing that went wrong is one of the stock power tubes started cutting out.

The power tubes are chassis mounted in the CC series, so no worries with ehat damaging the board.

All the above is a moot point though - the CC series is discontinued. the new C series in made in vietnam with cheaper cabs. The power tubes are mounted on the circuit board.

I can't speak for the C, never heard one, but the cc certainly isn't a shell of anything, it's a solid gigging amp with great tone, especially once you learn how to avoid the pitfalls that are presented with some of the extra features - for example, the master volume.

JMItones

The new C series in made in vietnam
There is a long thread already about the AC30C2 and AC15C1 so I won't waste time repeating. However i thought I would point out the above is incorrect. C series is built in China - not Vietnam.

Rev2S

I have a AC15CC made in the same Chinese plant as the AC30CC. No problems after several years...

Cirrus

There is a long thread already about the AC30C2 and AC15C1 so I won't waste time repeating. However i thought I would point out the above is incorrect. C series is built in China - not Vietnam.
Apologies! I read they'd moved there from the factory they made the CC in, is it still the same factory or is it a different factory in China?

Trending Topics