Vox AC4 Extension Speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by anewstatic, Mar 3, 2012.

1. anewstatic

anewstatic Member

Anyone have any experience playing an AC4 through an extension cab? I want get one to use as a practice amp but wonderee if they still sound boxy, even through a cab. *I've got a Morgan 1x12 loaded w/ an Austin Speaker Works Elegante.

2. kirkham13

kirkham13 Member

Yes they do. I just played mine through a TK meteor 2 x 12 bout 5 minutes ago. Still sounds great though, just not much power. Maybe a champ xd/xs head would be better, or a reason bambino head....

3. thosk

thosk Silver Supporting Member

I've got the the head version so nothing to compare it to regarding "boxiness" in the combo, but it sure sounds good thru an open back Avatar 1x12 Greenback cab :aok.

4. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

There's an interesting twist to this: the internal speaker is 16 ohms, but the amp is actually happier driving an 8 ohm speaker. The mismatched 16 ohm internal speaker is a form of attenuator, so an 8 ohm 12" cabinet is considerably louder. This is well documented...perhaps more on TDPRI.com than here.

EDIT - Only run the amp at 4 watts if you're driving an 8 ohm speaker, unless you change a component value in the attenuator section. Here's sixteen pages of detail from the Telecaster Page:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/amp-owners-clubs/171536-vox-ac4tv.html

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  5. feet

feet Supporting Member

ran one into a power amp then into a 2x12 and it sounded pretty big, but i didn't get it up to gig volume.

6. anewstatic

anewstatic Member

Cool, thanks guys. I'll check out the head.

7. jkamp20

jkamp20 Member

I've got the 10" combo and run it through a 1X12 with a green back routinely. I actually bought and AC15C1 and returned it because it sounded almost identical to the AC4 run through the extension cab. I'm thinking about picking up one of the new Jet City JCA24S+ 2X12 cabs (Only 250$!!!!) to run it through. I would recommend picking up the combo, since it can be used as a head or a great grab-and go practice combo.

And it sounds way less boxy ran through an extension cab.....almost like a completely different amp.

8. kirkham13

kirkham13 Member

I love mine, not trying to sound otherwise. I would get the AC4tv mini, sound awesome with the 6 1/2, much better looking than the head, same price. It works great as a head and is dirt cheap. I have seen them go for as little as 100 new, granted you have to catch a sale.

9. bluesmule

bluesmule Member

Hey, so I'm thinking about building an extension cab for my Vox ac4tv. I really want to run a Celestion alnico blue, but it only comes in 12" and 8 or 15 ohms. Would I be able to build an extension cab that would run it without blowing my amp? I really don't know much about amps, so an explanation would be nice!

10. Boris the Blade

Boris the Blade Member

I ran my brothers ac4tv through a 1x12 with a weber blue dog alnico. I personnally thought it sounded better through the stock speaker