vox ac4 mini tv

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by e???, Feb 24, 2015.

1. e???

e??? Member

Anyone tried it? Opinions? I just grabbed one yesterday and was kinda disappointed when I got it home and started playing. WHERE'S THE BASS??? I'm totally used to champs, fender, and supro amps, which are probably all more defined as bassy, creamy, warm. This thing is just the opposite. I know people go on and on about Vox chime but this is insane... All top end, but it does distort pretty cool this way. Just as I was about to return it, I tried it running at the same time as my champ (line split using a reverb pedal with 2 outs) and that changed my mind. All the grit and sparkle from the vox, and all the bass and warmth from the champ. My girlfriend even said; "it sounds like the champ is doing the bottom strings and the vox is doing the high strings". I don't like the idea of not being able to play an amp by itself, but the combination of the two was pretty magic... anybody else had this experience? I know people will say it's the 6 inch speaker, but the 10" speakers sounded really similar, and my champ with the 6" speaker is bassy and full so that's not the culprit completely. Love to here of any encounters you guys have had with it; Thanks!

2. jonassweden1

jonassweden1 Member

Hi, had one couple of years ago. To my ears, it breaks up really quickly and I think the distorted tone is not pleasant. I think there's some bright cap mod you can do.

Another option is upgrading the tubes, the stock ones are harsh and fizzy.

If you're ready to invest some money, I'd recommend NOS tubes for the preamp.
    That will help tame and smooth out the highs.

Good luck, cheers
    Jonas

3. elicxirmixer

elicxirmixer Member

I have a mini. I modded it like crazy and now I plug it into an external cab with a greenback. It doesn't really leave my house, but it's become my favorite basement volume level amp.
    The 1/10th watt setting is crap. Use 1 and 4 watt.

Swap out both c4 (up it to 470pF) and c5 (from 4.7nF to 22nF) with different/better valued caps. It will give you the bass you want.

Change c6 from 22nF to 47nF to give it more of a "tweed champ" like distortion.

Follow this thread:
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=564524

4. lareplus

lareplus Member

I don't think it produces any bass. . .it's the speaker mainly. I wonder what it would sound hacked into a 15" external cab. .

5. e???

e??? Member

I couldn't get along with it at all, I tried for a few days and then started not even liking the sound of it with my champ. Returned it this morning. I'm just not a Vox guy i think... I do wanna try an ac30hw or a matchless before I conclude that. I'm pretty in love with 6v6 & 6l6 sounds though. But you gotta explore right? Test every thing till you're fully sure you have gear that helps your style? It's a fun ride. not too big of a deal though because I bought it at Guitar Center, cuz I knew I was unsure and they have the no questions asked return policy. Better than pissing my local guitar store off...

6. e???

e??? Member

Thanks for the mod tips though, I do appreciate them and was considering it, but I basically would have tried to get it to sound like a champ. Might as well stick with thl champ then right? But it is good to know and learn. I don't have to spend time daydreaming about vox sound now...

7. sacakl

sacakl Silver Supporting Member

Interesting since I think the AC4 gets really muddy instead of bright, especially with P90's and humbuckers. The tone knob doesn't do much. Sounds decent with my Tele but that's about it, but bright is not what I would call it if using the volume and tone controls on the guitar.

8. jstoffick

jstoffick Member

9. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

Had one, couldn't sell it fast enough. I was surprised how loud it was for such a small thing. But it didn't work for me.

10. jstoffick

jstoffick Member

What kind, brand or style caps did you use for the swap?

11. elicxirmixer

elicxirmixer Member

Orange drop.

Of course the gas has got to me since I wrote that and the amp is long gone. I remember it being hard to notice the bass difference unless you're using a 10" speaker or larger.

12. Laurence

Laurence Supporting Member

There are AC4 1X12 (non-HW) combos out there and they have a bit more bass, but it's still a single-ended low watt amp with small iron. There's only so much you can do with one. When you start to think of them as a Champ voiced like a Vox I think the whole things starts to come into focus. Very nice home and recording amp.