• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Vox AC4C1-12 - speaker change?

John N

Just wondering if anyone has swapped the stock speaker for anything else? I had an AC10c1 a couple of years ago and remember that very few speakers fit in there. Waiting on delivery of this amp...

Is the AC4 with the 12" speaker a similar situation? Will an alnico fit in there? or even a Weber Blue Dog ceramic?

I want to keep the Vox chime, so would be looking for a speaker to compliment and augment that. If alnico won't fit, then ceramic BD or Silver Bell?

Thanks
John

ccalda

I have a vox ac30s1 and have been wondering the same thing.

I am curious about the celestion gold or wgs blackhawk

Laurence

Gold Supporting Member
I have the AC4C1-12 but I've not changed speakers. I did upgrade tubes and played it through some old Blue Dogs, WGS Vets and an old Silver Bell. The stock speaker did not sound all that bad in comparison, so I just left in there.

Tubes were changed to NEC 12AD7 and NEC EL84.

John N

I do have a ceramic Silver Bell 8 ohm in another amp I could try. Impedance mismatch shouldn’t matter for overall tone test - I’ll just lower the master a bit since the 8 ohm will be less resistance and louder

I do have a ceramic Silver Bell 8 ohm in another amp I could try. Impedance mismatch shouldn’t matter for overall tone test - I’ll just lower the master a bit since the 8 ohm will be less resistance and louder
SS amp then? Higher impedance tends to be slightly brighter though.

fescue

I’ve got the AC4-12 with Weber Blue Dog ceramic. It improves tone but not a ton over the stock speaker. And, my opinion, it’s not the Weber’s fault: I feel the amp’s cab is way too small for a 12 inch speaker. Response is flat and bass is lacking. However, again my opinion, this amp does come to life with reverb and a compressor pedal.
And unless you are gonna cut a hole in the back of the amp, I don’t think an alnico would come close to fitting in there.

John N

I’ve got the AC4-12 with Weber Blue Dog ceramic. It improves tone but not a ton over the stock speaker. And, my opinion, it’s not the Weber’s fault: I feel the amp’s cab is way too small for a 12 inch speaker. Response is flat and bass is lacking. However, again my opinion, this amp does come to life with reverb and a compressor pedal.
And unless you are gonna cut a hole in the back of the amp, I don’t think an alnico would come close to fitting in there.
This is great info, thanks! I have a barber tone press comp in almost all the time and a sweet delay/verb pedal.
Which brings me to an interesting question : I have a 12>10 baffle converter and wonder if the amp/cab dimensions might work better in favor of a 10” speaker? I’m looking for a low volume alternative to my ac15 w Celestion Blue. I know the ac4 isn’t going to have the girth of the ac15 and I’m prepared to live with that for low volume gigs.

Glitch Magnet

Yes! I have an AC4C1-12. It will accommodate a Celestion Alnico Blue, which does provide a more authentic Vox tone and chime. Even better, go with the WGS Black & Blue. I've tried both in my AC4, and the WGS is warmer and less ice-picky. The WGS has all of the magic of the Celestion with less peaky highs and more lows.

Eliminating this amp's boxiness requires converting to open back.
Makes a world of difference.

One other simple mod I highly suggest to reduce fizz at low volume: remove the master volume bright cap (but keep the input volume bright cap).

With these mods, the AC4C1-12 makes a very worthy low-volume substitute for my AC15HW1X.

Trending Topics