VOX AC4C1 Users - Get in here!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Sammicus15, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Sammicus15

Sammicus15 Member

Seriously considering one of these bad boys. I've been watching a ton of demos lately and it sounds pretty cool. My question is this: Do I go for the 10 or 12 inch speaker? Any of you played both?

I really like the custom colors available with the 10 incher, but a 12" would be nice. Although, since it's 4 watts, it's going to be mic'd up at a gig (if it's ever used that way) so it probably doesn't matter.

Big sound quality different between the two? How's it holding up after you've had it awhile?

FYI, I'm not interested in the AC4TV, and please don't suggest the HW1, that's not in the budget.

Thanks!!

2. leftycajun

leftycajun Member

Get the 12. No comparison. Sounds like a much bigger amp than the 10.

3. garret

garret Member

4. sarcoid

sarcoid Member

I have the 10" and it's a bit harsh. I replaced the tubes in it which made a difference. Next will be the speaker. It sounds awesome through a 12" cabinet. Go 12" imo

5. Prince

Prince Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Here's my voxy lady. She may be petite and fair skinned, but she can still scream!

I clipped the bright caps, swapped in a Weber ceramic Blue Pup (10in), JJ EC803s, and JJ EL84. From my research, the benefits of springing for a Alnico speaker over the ceramic approximation weren't that justifiable (for me) since you need higher wattage to really make the alnico compress properly. Also some folks have had trouble fitting the Alnico Blue Pups or Celestion Gold 10's, and I think some have had to remove the bell cover from the speaker.

At the end of the day, I love this lil bugger. If the 12in was available when I got this, I would have gone for that instead, but overall I'm pretty pleased with the tones I am getting out of it for the $425ish I have invested in it.

6. Gretsch&Vox

Gretsch&Vox Member

I had an AC4C1-BL; I retrofitted (with some mods) a Celestion Gold 10" and my favorite tubes (see signature block). It was very nice, but a little too "small". I would go with the 12" speaker.

7. jwmanz

jwmanz Member

I have the 10" version. I tried replacing the speaker to a ceramic Blue Pup and that helped, but it was still boxy. So I ended up building a new enclosure that would accommodate a 12" speaker. Much better. Of course after I did all that Vox comes out with the 12" version. So may advice is definitely the 12" version.

8. Frungi

Frungi Member

Although the OP excluded the hand wired version: how would that compare to the cheaper ones? Anybody tried both?

9. garret

garret Member

I'd be surprised if there is a huge difference with such a simple circuit.

10. sliberty

sliberty Member

The hand wired version is not the same circuit as the AC4C1. The C1 has an additional 12ax7, and is based on the top boost circuit.