Vox ac4hw or Marshall class 5 for an in the mean time amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by marleyblues, Mar 2, 2012.

1. marleyblues

marleyblues Member

Alright guys, what should I do?

Ill get something nicer when the time comes...maybe a 65 soho or London.

But for now Im rebuilding my rig a little at a time. Gonna buy an r8/g0 and one of the two amps mentioned in the title.

Some of the stuff I play: led zep, black crowes, stones, beatles, Lennon solo stuff, who, cream, bluesbreakers, faces and assorted blues stuff. Blues, rock, & pop.

Which would work better for me? Price....not a big deal. Volume...not really a big deal, not gigging right now. Build quality? Obviously the vox has the class 5 beat, but which would work better. What would you do? Also open to the bigger handwired ac amps. But the more I spend now on the amp the longer I have to wait for the 65.

2. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

Geez... the Vox is ~$800. The Class 5 combo is about ~$400. If this is intended to be an interim amp, I think you'd lose less coin on the C5. Does that mean the C5 is a "better" amp? No... ain't going there. Just saying... for an "interim" amp, I'd go for the one I'd get the better return on. Ain't saying the C5 is a dog, not by a long shot... it's a great amp, imho. And... I'd rather lose $100 on the C5 than, just guessing... $300 on the Vox.

3. marleyblues

marleyblues Member

I hear you on losing some coin, but itll probably be my main amp for atleast 6 months to a year. Just wanna be happy with the tones. Ill probably head out to LA this weekend to see if I can try out some of the voxes. Theyve intrigued me for a bit.

Maybe I should just buy a decent tele and wait for a used london pro. But thenid be without a les paul. Which is the guitar I tend to gravitate to.

4. Nork

Nork Member

haven't even seen a 4HW up here yet, but i liked the C5 when i played it. Different tones, but i'd think that the C5 has a little more versatility in it than the HW with the eq controls.

5. eschoendorff

eschoendorff Member

It's hard to go wrong with a Class 5. Inexpensive and has that Marshall sound. Run it into a 4x12 and you're in classic/hard rock heaven.

6. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

Couldn't you get an AC15C1 right in the middle...about $600? That amp would last you indefinitely....small enough for home but big enough for most gigs.

7. eschatts

eschatts Member

Get the regular ac4. There is a video on YouTube by allenweinkranz. It is awesome.

8. traynor_garnet

traynor_garnet Member

Traynor Bassmate or Bassmaster. Same money as the Class 5, killer well built amp, you may not want another amp after playing them.

I play all the same stuff you do and owned a Class 5 in the past. It's a cool amp, but you can do MUCH better for the money.

TG

9. magicaxeman

magicaxeman Member

I'm in a similar situation myself and really leaning towards the AC 4 TVH and cab..for me it has more useful tones than the marshall and if I want the marshall sound I can just stick a plexi drive in front of it..

I agree about the AC15 thought, its more versatile than the AC 4 and of course there's also the new Burdon modded vox's as well.

But all said and done.. bang for buck its the AC 4 TVH and cab, leaves plenty of cash to put towards that soho or london later.

10. North

North Member

FWIW - I just purchased my 3rd Class 5 for a W/D/W setup with a couple of Hardwire distortion pedals, a Flashback delay, a Hall of Fame reverb and, as of today, a Timeline for fancier delays.

The sound of this setup is so full of tone, harmonics and so pleasing that it lets my Axe-Fx II rest. Incredible sound and value for money.

IMHO.

11. bbutler123

bbutler123 Member

I've owned the Class 5. It's only fault is the small 10" speaker.

I've never been impressed by Vox except by the Pathfinder and that is solid state! Vox seems too brash and kind of weak, for me.

I certainly WOULD NOT be concerned about getting a hand-wired amp, ESPECIALLY as an interim amp.

12. Ryan

Ryan Member

This. If it's just a temporary solution, why not?

13. marleyblues

marleyblues Member

Played a heritage ac15 today. Cleans were very nice. I didnt care for the way it broke up. I think im more of a marshall/fender guy.