Vox AC4TV combo 4W mode problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pedal4plus, Feb 9, 2012.

1. pedal4plus

pedal4plus Member

I bought a Vox AC4TV combo and it's been 3 months and is played 7 to 8 hours every week. In the 4W mode, the clean sounds great as expected at low volume. But when the volume goes past noon, it starts to break up, but the break up is not too pleasant/smooth/warm. On the other hand, in the 1 and 1/4 W modes, the breakup is sweet like marshall crunch to some extent. It has a cheap Celestion 10 inch speaker and I use ibanez rg570. Any thoughts of what might be the problem in 4W mode?

2. 440gtx6pak

440gtx6pak Member

I think the various watt modes are just a built in power soak. So the amp is clipping the same, as it is not power-scaling as far as I know. If anything people usually complain in the reverse that attenuation changes tone. It sounds like to me in this case, there is at least the chance that because it is a small inexpensive speaker in a tiny cab that it just sounds more pleasant at the lower volumes. That can happen sometimes.

3. pedal4plus

pedal4plus Member

Thanks for your input.

4. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

You have the stock EL84 in there? If so, might want to try a new tube... not sure what might work in that amp... JJ? And if you're rolling with both stock tubes, might as well try an upgrade on the pre too.

5. steve108819

steve108819 Member

I bought one of these two years ago. Still using the stock el84 but replaced the 12ax7 with something that I can't recall right now. Mine sounds fine, but it also sounded fine while completely stock. I'd try replacing the preamp tube and see what happens.