• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Vox AD120VT vs new AD50VT vs Vypyr 50w

mototpsychel

My search continues for a bedroom volume ss amp. At first I was comparing the new Vox valvetronix 50 watter to the Peavey Vypyr 75 watter. Vox 50 cost $400.00, Vypyr 75 cost $300.00, for me the Vypyr was starting to edge out the Vox due to feature set and price, I thought quality of sound was good on both.

However....my local GC brings in a used but mint 2004 Vox AD120VT with blue cloth grill that sounds really rich in comparison and seems a bit more tweakable due to it's lack of locked in presets. Cost: $500.00 (I'll ask for them to bring that down) I only had a few minutes with each today and was wondering what the general consensus was on these blue vox's.

Are there any major problems associated with these amps, any know glitches or other need to know stuff ?

Are they considerwed by those who use them as tonally superior than the new ones ? I worry that being solid state technology that it may already be a dinosaur and vastly inferior to the new brood - although in my brief time with I didn't hear that being the case.

Is $500.00 a fair price or out of line ?

Any help is greatly appreciated and welcomed positive or negative.

Thanks

guitarman_nebr

Silver Supporting Member
i use a valvetronix amp. there was some glitches in the first run of these amps (2001?) they were resolved in later offerings. they quit making the AD60vt and the AD120vt because production cost got too high. they targeted a younger market with the cheaper versions you see out now from Vox.

they are tonally superior to many modeling amps. very tweakable and giggable. there is a loyal user group with many discussion forums dedicated to the Valvetronix amps.

i have not played the Vypyr, but i have played the cheaper vox. the AD120vt is head and shoulders above them.

the Vox AD60's and 120's and the Yamaha DG80 and DG100 are still what i consider to be the bench mark amps for modeling. they still sound great today!!

Wesman61

Silver Supporting Member
Roland Cube 80X $399
Sorry for the brief hijack but if Roland made a Cube model with 4 foot switchable user definable presets it would be my next amp. I like the Vypyrs but the reliability issues are keeping me at a distance.

mototpsychel

i use a valvetronix amp. there was some glitches in the first run of these amps (2001?) they were resolved in later offerings. they quit making the AD60vt and the AD120vt because production cost got too high. they targeted a younger market with the cheaper versions you see out now from Vox.

they are tonally superior to many modeling amps. very tweakable and giggable. there is a loyal user group with many discussion forums dedicated to the Valvetronix amps.

i have not played the Vypyr, but i have played the cheaper vox. the AD120vt is head and shoulders above them.

the Vox AD60's and 120's and the Yamaha DG80 and DG100 are still what i consider to be the bench mark amps for modeling. they still sound great today!!
Very encouraging guitarman, this one was purchased new in 2004, so I'm thinking it may be a de-bugged one.

Y'know I originally came at this looking for a cheap ss practice amp. Started looking at $100.00 ones. That led me to looking at $200.00 ones, that led to...well you know how it goes - now I'm looking a 120 watt ass kicker because I usually end up following quality and tone and end up straying from my original guidelines. Self-control ? Never heard the term.

So, how is this 120 watt amp for bedroom playing and practice ?

Is $500.00 out of line ?

jefrobie

Silver Supporting Member
I've had the Vox Ad30Vt. Went in to buy the newer version. I ended up with a Fender Super Champ XD. Not so flexible, but tone wise out of the park in comparison. And cheaper. And Tube. Not all tube for sure, but flexible enough the tone was unbelievable for a little 15 watter.

mototpsychel

Yeah, I've got the tube thing covered but the volume I need to play it at to make me happy ;) makes everyone else in the house un-happy :mob .

guitarman_nebr

Silver Supporting Member
i bought a Vox AD60VTX, a Vox chrome stand, and a VC-4 footcontroller (all with owners manuals and very minty new) just a couple weeks ago for $450 shipped halfway across the U.S.

if that is a guage, you are adding a speaker, stereo sound, and another 60watts of SS power. i would say you are in the ballpark.

mototpsychel

i bought a Vox AD60VTX, a Vox chrome stand, and a VC-4 footcontroller (all with owners manuals and very minty new) just a couple weeks ago for $450 shipped halfway across the U.S.

if that is a guage, you are adding a speaker, stereo sound, and another 60watts of SS power. i would say you are in the ballpark.
Hmm sounds like I could do better price wise - but I figure I've got it home now and can live with it for awhile to see if I like it.

I have pretty wide ranging taste, everything from Blues, to Hank Williams SR, to Frank Sinatra, to Elvis, Beatles, Classic era rock and punk. Anyway, I remember reading an interview with Ron Asheton, guitarist of the Stooges where he was saying their first two albums were recorded with Vox amps and not Marshalls. So tonight I set that baby on ac30tb and took a stab at the intro of "I Wanna Be Your Dog" and holy sh*t, the spirit of Ron Asheton was in the room, god bless his rock n roll soul (tell everybody you know).

So far I"m very happy, and a bit giddy - I'm just hoping the honey moon continues.

Ben Furman

Silver Supporting Member
I think you made a good choice, especially since you say you were looking for Vox tones anyway. The bigger amps do sell for a bit more than their 60W counterparts, and the stereo effects are a nice plus. Besides, it has the variable output wattage to give better feel at lower volumes.

I think Peavey will get their QA together better than Korg in the long run... but for now just enjoy your amp!

-Ben

Trending Topics