Vox AD60VTH valvetronix:Like it or not?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by crj55, Jun 28, 2008.

1. crj55

crj55 Member

Kind of interested in the Valvetronix series. Have not played them all but what do you think of the AD60VT head in comparison. I know they are probably not tube quality but I am looking for tone versatility for live use in a cover band playing all kinds of music. Just wanted something with user preset tones and a footswitch to change the tones.. Anything else out there better? Have thought of Spidervalve, and Switchblade but I play mostly cleans and thought the Vox would do better there..

2. mike361

mike361 Member

I have a vtx combo and it is a great amp. vox cleans and crunch plus the fender stuff is all very good.I really like all the models except the early marshall stuff is kinda poor. It has so many cool effects that you will never need a pedal for anything. The head would be nice so you can taylor your sound as the neo dpeaker is mid voiced. I would use a vintage 30 or the vox blue if going for the vox tones more than the fender stuff. Or even a jenson.

3. GeorgeSunset

GeorgeSunset Member

got a AD30VT combo - i like it. i life in a small apartment in CPH – that means no room for a loud tube amp L

but this amp is cool. It can do a lot of things pretty well – at ANY volume.
    In my opinion the clean sounds aren’t the best, but useable. Drive sounds are better though.

have to mod it though (will try to install a fx loop next week :))

4. geng

geng Member

AD60 and 120 vt or vtx (blue cloth) is much better than later 30/50/100. Better sounding and much more flexible.

I have gigged with AD120vt and Mesa Lone Star for many year and prefer Vox over my Lone Star in many cases.

Great sounding, great effects and features.

5. 5E3

5E3 Member

I had an AD30VT for a while some years ago. I spent more time playing with the settings than playing my guitar ;) They are highly tweak-able. The power nob on the back was nice for home practice. You may not know if it is a good fit for you until you use it for a few weeks. Buy it with a "no questions asked return" policy from some place like GC or MF, or buy it used so you don't have to take the big depreciation hit if you resell it after a short time.

6. Old Fuzzface

Old Fuzzface Member

I'd agree about the VTX combos being the best of the Valvetronix line but it's only the cab material and speakers that differ from the earlier amps, so if you get the head and use a decent cab, then you're doing OK. You should also get the VC12 foot-switch to get all the functionality, the VC4 is plastic nasty.

The VTX is a great cover band amp, especially for cleaner sounds, that's what I've mainly used mine for.

7. Digam11

Digam11 Member

I have an AD30VT as well. Haven`t used much since I got an AC15 but had it out last week and it`s alot of fun to play around with. I used it constantly until I got he AC15. I`ll definetly keep it.

My friend has the 60 version and wants to either sell it or trade it towards an AC15 after playing thru mine for a while.

8. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

I have owned the Vox AD60VT head and played the AD120VT head. The amps were really strong for clean and low and mid gain tones. For higher gain stuff I found I liked to use an overdrive pedal and with the JCM800 patch, instead of using the recto model. The effects were good too. Overall they are nice amps. They don't feel like a tube amp to me, but are closer than other modelers I have played.

My buddy has a line 6 spider valve 112 combo and its a nice amp. The effects are not that great though.

Peavey is coming out with its Vypyr series you might want to check those out...