VOX All Closed Cabinets?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Kylote, Aug 15, 2016.

1. MmcGrouty

MmcGrouty Member

So the 4 and 10 are closed back.. That's not exactly the entire range, and those aren't really classic vox amps anyways. Just get a handwired 30 and stop messing with toys.

2. Laurence

Laurence Silver Supporting Member

I wouldn't call them toys, but I get it. Personally, I'm moving into Vox after being a Fender guy for 40+ years. I have a nice vintage Fender collection and play them out all the time. Been through the vintage Marshall thing as well. For some unknown reason, I'm just now getting into Vox style amps and don't want to put a lot on money into it unless I'm really sold. I've played AC30s in back lines for years and know they're great, but way too loud to open up - even outside. They're heavy as well, even AC15's (I'm getting old).

I had a little extra $ and fell into a AC4 1X12 at a good price. It's a nice amp. Some upper mid-grind that was pleasing, but not enough nuts to gig on it's own. I played some AC15's and decided an AC10 might be a good addition (unfortunately the AC4 was fawn/tan, so I had to get a matching AC10; I'm vain that way). I have an incoming AC10 and am looking forward to it. If I'm feeling the urge to go "all in" I may, but I may also get over my amp snobbery and just play a current production amp (which I have not done since the mid-70's).

Kylote likes this.
  3. MmcGrouty

MmcGrouty Member

That's cool. In all honesty, I got good tones out of the ac10 when I tried it at a store, and the handwired ac4 looks like it's pretty cool. I have a 15 and 30, and the tones I like are with them cranked up. Not exactly house friendly.

Kylote and Laurence like this.
  4. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Those closed cabs mean changing tubes would be a PITA.

Even the HWAC30 with the open cab is a PITA. I changed tubes in mine a couple of weeks ago and you have to pull the whole damn chassis out to change tubes.

Laurence and Kylote like this.
  5. FFTT

FFTT Member

Sofa cushion amp fort!

Worked with 3 kids sleeping upstairs

Kylote likes this.
  6. Kylote

Kylote Member

I already attenuate my AC15 -8 with a Hot Plate and is still pretty darn loud. I don't really have a scenario that warrants an AC30. Too loud for band practice in a small room, if we played any gigs I would mic or direct-in and it isn't like we're in playing any concert halls and 1w is enough for folks to complain at church.

7. DrainBamage

DrainBamage Member

I would assume the little amps 4 and 10 are sealed to have a better bass response out of the small cab and maybe to support the chassis being mounted to the back panel.

8. Laurence

Laurence Silver Supporting Member

Super true, not looking forward to it. It was a less than a serviceable design to begin with, and just got worse as the years and regulations mounted.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
    Bluesful likes this.
  9. DeaconBlues

DeaconBlues Member

The AC10 appears to have a removable lower panel. If my eyes aren't deceiving me. Looks like it might give "some" access, at least to the speaker.

Kylote likes this.
  10. alamere

alamere Supporting Member

I would think closed back cabs are cheaper, quicker, easier to manufacture because you don't have to cut as much wood, there are fewer measurements involved, less waste, etc.
    At least, that would be my guess as to why the 2 cheapest Vox offerings are in a closed cabinet.
    Even if you are setting up a machine to cut, there is less time spent cutting and programming etc.
    I really doubt Vox made the closed back decision based on sonics..

That being said, I have an AC10 and it sounds fantastic for what it is.. I've used it at several shows in a multi-mono configuration with my Princeton Reverb and the combo of the two is pretty beautiful. I bought it as a literal 'bedroom' amp and assumed that I'd just leave it in my bedroom so I could strum a guitar at low volumes every once in awhile.. but..
    It's getting a ton more use than that. It has something the Princeton doesn't and is a perfect compliment to it.

There is definitely no removable lower panel on the back. It's just one piece of wood with a few holes cut out of it for power and a speaker out..

11. DeaconBlues

DeaconBlues Member

So, there is a "speaker out"?