Vox amp, but metalcore on the side?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ming, Dec 23, 2009.

1. ming

ming Member

Hey guys,

I'm using a Vox AC15 amp with an Epiphone Les Paul standard, as i mostly play on my church's worship band. but i'm also into metalcore, and would like to be able to play some metalcore on the side. I KNOW the amp is totally not the right amp for this, but are there any pedals that you would suggest that would produce that heavy tone? I listen to bands like Bring Me The Horizon, Every Time I Die, Asking Alexandria, Underoath etc.

thanks in advance.

2. Pat of the Dead

Pat of the Dead Member

The thing is, you really don't need a lot of gain. So I would get a bbe maximizer or the like to pronounce the bottom end a little more which seems to be a must in metalcore, and whatever overdrive/distortion that suits your fancy, mic the amp and let it rip. Other effects that would be useful would probably be an analog delay and maybe a phaser. I would suggest though possibly getting a bigger amp down the road, if you want to start playing about. Might as well save the money instead of buying the pedals and get the amp.

3. patrickisbusy

patrickisbusy Member

I can play metalcore with a Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde or a Zvex Box of Rock through a Vox AC4.

You just need to experiment with different pedals. Just remember that more gain DOES NOT equal a good metal tone.

4. Cap'nMayhem

Cap'nMayhem Member

If you can keep your amp clean enough the Menatone None More Black is a killer metal pedal, but to get the full blackness out of it it's best to have an amp with a decent bit of clean headroom.

5. mspizziri

mspizziri Member

This is very important, especially if you want to have a tone that stands out in the mix. I've always gone by the idea that you should turn you gain down and volume up, then increase your gain to taste

6. Pat of the Dead

Pat of the Dead Member

Exactly. The less gain the better, unless you happen to be playing black metal/ most death metal/ or you are john petrucci. his lead channels are really angry.

7. ming

ming Member

What do you think about the Visual Sound "Son of Hyde" pedal?