Vox back in the rotation - what an amp!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by soldano16, Aug 20, 2008.

1. soldano16

soldano16 Member

So ever since I got my Ultimate Attenuator, my world has been 100% Marshall. Getting cranked Marshall tone at Deluxe Reverb volume is such a treat. But having the Vox doing nothing was a bug so I got a Radial Headbone to be able to have both amps in the rig and switch amps on the fly.

Folks - as stunning as a 68 50 watt Marshall is, my 63 AC30 (no Top Boost) head is the most amazing amp. The clean is to die for. A touch of Fender sparkle but with so much more body. EARTHY? With this amp, it's like a direct connection to tone. Pedals? All I use with the Vox is a Lovepedal BBB07 set up as a Rangemaster.

And then when you push it, the magic really comes on. I don't run the AC30 with the UA. It's totally clean. But the Vox seems to have more meat and girth than even the plexi. I've never heard an amp that can touch the beauty of a cranked up AC30. It's got it all.

When I bought the Vox several years ago it wasn't at all because I knew what I was getting and wanted THAT tone. I actually bought it because on a thread on The Les Paul Forum I was shocked at how many of those I considered the best players chose the AC30 as their desert island amp. It might sound like a silly way to spend $2K on a amp but it's been one of the very best musical "gambles" I've ever done. The amp was a eBay purchase - It had been fully services by Todd Sharpe's shop.

Sometimes you win big. This AC30 is magic+

[​IMG]

2. Telephile

Telephile Member

Oh man your killing me. That is my dream amp. Theres a studio here in town that has a 63 or so Ac30 that I've gotten to play through a few times. It haunts me with it's tone. I've been trying to find something like it for years.

3. Wagster

Wagster Member

4. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

That sounds amazing... my AC30cc chassis is on it's way to Lyle Caldwell for his mods to get is as close as possible to JMI specs. Hopefully he can work his magic and get me a killer Vox on a decent budget!

5. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

That is one of the reasons that I am SO STOKED that my JMI AC30-6 is coming in tomorrow.

AND I AM WORKING FROM HOME TOMORROW!!!!:dude

Emee

6. plexirocker 68

plexirocker 68 Member

Yep nothing like a AC30. I just picked up my first one about 9 months ago and I feel like I've "graduated"

If I had to get down to one amp it would be a Ac30. Tone and response are second to none IMO

plexi

7. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

I have a '62 AC-30 (added TB) and a '52/'59 LP conversion with all vintage parts and electronics.

I was playing that rig last night and thinking "there is no better guitar tone on this planet." :dude

8. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Member

can someone tell me the love of AC30's

its the one amp line I really have no experience with

9. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

Ya know, it's one amp line that you really have to experience first-hand to know what it's capable of. You can listen to records and clips and all but I'm not sure I could point to any particular recording that gets across why the AC-30 is so great. (although the clips on the D'Pergo site where Julian Kasper plays a D'Pergo Strat-style through a vintage AC-30 are a pretty good clue)

The amp is actually new to me as of about 6 months ago. As soon as I played it, though, a whole world of "oh... yeah!!!!! THIS is how electric guitar is supposed to sound and feel!!!" opened up to me. I felt like I'd been playing it my whole life. It's just so flattering to a good guitar, I feel like I'm getting all the frequencies I want to hear and none that I don't.

I mean, it's noisy... it's not the sturdiest thing ever... changing tubes is brutal... it's too loud... but who cares. It's the greatest amp ever IMO.

10. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Member

that alone sells me. when an amp is both beautiful and brutal i can't not go test one out for myself

11. soldano16

soldano16 Member

That's an AC30.

The softer tones are beautiful. Turn the sucker up and it's one hell of a roaring beast. It really is a do everything amp.

12. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

I've recently migrated to the Vox camp. I have yet to try a vintage one, but I have the heritage amps, a CC, and some vox-inspired designs by Bruno, Fargen, and Overbuilt. Not a better or worse thing, but they just do it for me.

I'd like to try a vintage one at some point, but based on what I've seen it can be a gamble and it'd be a PITA if it needed work right away...

13. 909one

909one Member

I have had weird experiences with Vox. Everytime I see someone playing a Vox live, it sounds amazing. I saw Daniel Lanois play live once with his vintage AC-30 and it was the best tone I have ever heard.

Now, when I have tried them out, its a different story.
    Sometimes they sounds amazing, other times they sounds like complete garbage to me. I have tried the CC's, the Heritage series, JMI's. I have owned two Vox type amps, Dr. Z Maz 38 and a Stangray. I sold the Maz because it just wasn't right to my ears. I sold the Stangray purely because I needed the money.

I really want to love a Vox, but I am still not sold.

14. soldano16

soldano16 Member

That was the deal maker for me when I bought mine on eBay - knowing the amp I was buying had been major league serviced by one of the best.