Vox Bedroom Options

CptSensible

Looking for a strictly home-based Vox amp. Considering an AC15, AC10, or Mini Super Beetle. Single-family home. Play primarily clean. Thoughts?

Dan R.

Silver Supporting Member
For strictly home based, I think the mini is your best bet. If you ever plan to jam or play outside, you may want to consider the ac10. I've owned all the above and currently own the 15. They're all great, but the ac10 and 15 can still shake the walls, so it may be overkill for at home.

Claytone

For the Vox sound at home I would look for an AC-4 with a 12" speaker. I think Vox calls it an AC-4TV12 or something like that. It sounds great and has enough clean headroom with the larger speaker.

WillLane

Looking for a strictly home-based Vox amp. Considering an AC15, AC10, or Mini Super Beetle. Single-family home. Play primarily clean. Thoughts?
Those would all be fine options, also consider the VOX Cambridge 50. It's a great sounding bit of kit for pennies. The AC30 and DRRI sims sound dynamite considering the price.

MaxTwang

There's a hand wired AC-4 that looks interesting. AC-15's are pretty dang loud. AC-10 is great but loud too. A Morgan AC-20 Deluxe or Abbey is a really sweet option and has power scaling.

Henry Terry

I have a Vox AC30S1 for home use, and it sounds really good to me. Two years ago, I had a Vox AC15C1, and it also sounded really good to me. Both are too loud for home use, unless you use their Master Volumes.

Axe-Man

AC15C1(X)

It doesn’t need to be loud to sound great for cleans and edge of breakup which probably is you wheelhouse.

The inbuilt trem is lovely and the verb is useful. Change to a high end tank for $35USD if you want better.

Blue for classic Vox or Greenback for a classic Brit sound. I tried both (broken in Blue) and actually liked the GB for all round tones (but I play rock etc too). Blue is in my HW.

I like the AC15 a lot more than the AC10 which I already liked a lot.

MaxTwang

AC4 hardwired is class A and single ended is it not? Aka, classic and high quality, could record an album with it
I like to refer to the AC4 Hand-wired as "the one that got away" as a couple years ago I hesitated on one that was under $500 shipped :jo

I've been tempted to try the Vox MV50 AC hybrid head with Korg's nutube. I'd love to see a demo with a Tele going for a Brad Paisley vibe.

Last edited:

blownirocz

Suppoutin' Memba Sinss Dem Oud Dayz...
Gold Supporting Member
I realize it is a name of ill-repute here, but my Morgan AC20 Deluxe with power scaling and a well broken-in Celestion Alnico Blue is the Vox tone I've been searching for all my life. If you're mostly searching for clean sounds as you mentioned in your OP, and don't require speaker breakup, I doubt you'll find much better.

Alabamarama

AC15's can thump pretty good. With the master volume, you can get it pretty tame and keep some of the characteristics as if it were cranked.

A Pathfinder is a great choice as well, and they sound killer.

Mark White

Just demoed an AC10 with the same solution in mind. I'd say that very nice clean tones (gain at 2ish) with the master cranked are a perfectly reasonable loudness for home playing, so there is quite a bit of variance to play with safely.

I'll be getting one.

Trending Topics