Vox, Blizzard of Nails, Celestion Alnico Blue?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gasp100, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Maybe the amazing chime that I love about the cleans and edge of breakup from a Vox amp is tempered with the Blizzard of Nails, brittle, raspy, high gain sound when driven hard? I've been testing my AC15CC with the Wharfdale and while the clean at lower volumes was quite nice, any additional gain (locally or from a pedal) REALLY sounded rough on the edges. I then dropped in a Blue which sounded excellent clean, really nice with slight breakup but it still had a very harsh, almost violent raspiness when driven hard with the gain or with a pedal.
    So -- the amp is gone, the Blue stays. Now it's in another 1x12 and my Winfield amp head is pushing it -- the cleans and edge of breakup are dialed in and sound freaking fantastic... but, once the gain kicks in (from the amp, admitedly it's an old school, rock and roll crunchy as hell breakup) it's still pretty harsh. I haven't tested it with pedals yet.
    I have a Vox AC15 Heritage HW head on the way... this will be the definitive (and last) test for me and Vox. I'm just wondering if this is IT? Or, if the blue just needs to be seriously broken in more? The chime is amazing, but the raspiness of the harder gain leaves little to be desired. I'm hoping the AC15 Heritage head + Blue in the 1x12 is a match made in heaven ;)
    The weird thing it that when I played the AC15CC in the store (with a Wharfdale and a humbucker guitar) the gain was much smoother, creamier. Opinions?

2. soldano16

soldano16 Member

It's obviously a question of personal taste but I understand what you are saying. I bought a Celestion Gold to go in a 1X12 cab that was to be used with both my 63 AC-30 and my 50 watt plexi. I figured I'd use the cab more for the JMI, so that's why I chose the Gold.

It's a great speaker, incredible really but it does have a certain harshness that does not match that well with certain types of gain. Now that I've decided I'll be using my Plexi much more than the JMI, I've sold the Gold and replaced it with a Scumback that is much more suited to the kind of tone I want.

I guess a speaker is no different than an amp, hard to get everything in one package.

3. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

FWIW, to my ears, an AC-15 does not sound like an AC30 at all. It is not the same amp, only quieter.
    The AC30 is known for the Blizzard effect, there is a reason for that. It has to do with everything from wattage to T-former specs, and yes, the pair of Blues.

Just not the same thing.

I also think that the harshness is a product of the CC at volume. My BM model has ZERO harshness at all volumes and it only sweetens as it gets louder, and still sounds like you need to duck for cover from the schrapnel.
    Emee

4. Dave

Dave Member

Blues can be harsh right out of the box. A well broken in Blue is actually very sweet in the high end. I think that's what makes them so great. They have plenty of high end, yet they're easy on the ears. I have an AC15 clone that I run either into a 1x12 loaded with a Blue or a 2x12 loaded with Blues. The speakers in both cabs are well broken in and they're very smooth, even with the amp cranked and totally pissed off.

5. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

nail > head

6. Gasp100

Awesome, thanks all. It's almost as if I can tell there is greatness in that blue. Like I said, Cleans and slight OD = Fantastic. Running the Winnie in there sounds much better than running the AC15CC in it's own cab. I think the Winnie is just a better amp than the CC truth be told. But, I also don't think the Winnie is a great match with the blue <it's old school marshall and needs a different breed of speaker>
    So, I'm hoping the AC15 HW Heritage + a really broken in blue does the trick. I'll just crank it up and play the crap out of it!
    :BEER :RoCkIn :BOUNCE

7. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

To me, lots of amps do not drive smoothly enough. Pushing harder over the acceptable breakup level just makes it worse, as you notice, too.

One way to help is to pick a pedal that maintains the right amount of high end at the levels at which you play, so you don't drive the amp much harder and the extra harmonic content is rolled off a little by the pedal instead of being exaggerated by the amp. Think SRV.

8. Dave

Dave Member

Have you seen the video demo on the Vox site? Check it out if you haven't. The sound quality isn't the best, but you can hear how good the Blue sounds with that amp.

9. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

i'm blown away that they would go to all the trouble to make video clips w/ sound that is not, at all, flattering to the amp. theu should get leon to do clips for the amps.

10. Gasp100

It has the ohm selector on the back of the head so there should be no issues running into my cab with the Blue @8ohm, 15 watts right? I see their cab is 16ohm, 15 watts.

11. Gasp100

I'm quite certain I'll just have to break in the blue a lot more... Vox and so many other people can't be wrong. I think I would agree with you on the Marshall + Blue though. It is pretty interesting to compare speakers in this type of context. I've seen so many posts about how a speaker, is just a speaker. But, I have to tell you there are some pretty dramatic differences that I can hear when comparing / contrasting speakers and cabs and mixing and matching using the same amp. Pretty cool.

12. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

Agree with previous comments on break in time for the Blue speaker.
    When I think of a really nice (broken in) Blue I associate it with a throaty kind of midrangey tone with a sweet top end. Kind of like Brian May from Queen.