Vox Cambridge 30 - mid 90's - amazing sound but?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by PHI_JAMMA, Dec 26, 2009.

1. PHI_JAMMA

PHI_JAMMA Member

I have one of the mid 90's Vox Cambridge 30's and no it does not have Cambridgeitis. In fact, this thing is super good. What's weird is i bought it off a real techie and he swears no modifications are on this thing. What's weird is it is extremely loud. I would like it to be less so. It does not seem to have a quieter volume for playing in my apartment. It goes from no volume to loud in a slight turn of the volume in both channels. I had the mods done in a previous one I owned and it was low volume until you got to about 7...this thing is quite loud from just less than 1.

Any suggestions?

Is there not a trim pot I can adjust??

2. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Sorry, there is not just a trim pot to adjust to reduce the overall volume. Most likely the mods you had done to a previous one boosted some of the early preamp gain, so it broke up way earlier in the volume. You might have to look into modding this one to be like the old one.

3. PHI_JAMMA

PHI_JAMMA Member

I played it (finally at a jam) last night and this thing is awesome. After having one before and having problems, I must have lucked out and got the only one that ever worked.

4. schmidlin

schmidlin Member

Glad it's working for you. But it sounds to me like you have linear pots in there when you should have audio ones. Perhaps he didn't mod it, but fixed it using the wrong parts.

5. TimmyP

TimmyP Member

Yep.

If the difference between full and half is about 6dB, it's a linear pot.

If the difference between full and half is about 20dB, it's an audio taper pot.

If the difference is something else, it's an oddball pot or the circuit impedance is affecting the pot law.