Vox....C'Mon Man AC10 handwired head already!!!!

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
Yep, I've never even considered swap it for something else.

By the way, the new AC30 S1 looks like an AC10 C1 with a 12", and two more EL84 ofc
Yeah The new S1 looks pretty damn ideal :)

ford

Modz
Staff member
Are there any boutique builders that make something close to an AC10?

And.. are the current AC10cc1s or whatever they are exactly easy for techs to work on if there is a problem?

I almost bought one a couple of times but have held off....

Or maybe I can get my local tech to turn my Trace Elliot Velocette 1x10 15 watter into something similar to an AC10 type amp...

... heck, I could maybe even get it into a bigger cab that would hold a twelve inch speaker...

Last edited:

dewey decibel

3 years later and... still no handwired AC 10. :(
IMHO, some of the magic within the AC-10C1 is the fact that it’s made cheaply with cheap parts in a too small cabinet. I feel like taking that same exact circuit but “upgrading” everything would result in a less interesting sounding amp (kinda like I’ve heard with a couple upgraded Blues Jrs).

But, more importantly, the AC-10c1 is NOT the amp @Soothsayer posted about in the OP. Now that was a cool amp, and one Vox should def think about reissuing...

dewey decibel

@dewey decibel Yep, I was and still am inspired by the tones of the AC10 SRT from the Doug and Pat show. Its what prompted me to post originally. What a beast of an amp!
I daydreamed years ago about starting a little boutique amp company with two models; one based of the AC-10srt and one the AC-50 (the vintage one of course, sounds more like a Marshall than Vox). Always thought they were sort of sleeper amps that would do well in today’s market. I heard one of the 65 Amps is supposed to be inspired by the AC-10, don’t remember which one

chas49

Supporting Member
This will be useful for people that are new to this thread:

gillman royce

Silver Supporting Member
I daydreamed years ago about starting a little boutique amp company with two models; one based of the AC-10srt and one the AC-50 (the vintage one of course, sounds more like a Marshall than Vox). Always thought they were sort of sleeper amps that would do well in today’s market. I heard one of the 65 Amps is supposed to be inspired by the AC-10, don’t remember which one
Lil' Elvis. Co- designed with the late Derek Underdown of JMI era Vox. True AC12 with tremolo and Master Voltage. Prototype #1 was bought by Don Felder(Eagles ); #2 by John at Bad Cat.

s360guitarist

Silver Supporting Member
Corporate over at Vox knows just how long the current ac10's will last. You won't see any talk of the handwired ac10 till just prior to that point. ;)

JPH118

3 years later and... still no handwired AC 10. :(
But, more importantly, the AC-10c1 is NOT the amp @Soothsayer posted about in the OP. Now that was a cool amp, and one Vox should def think about reissuing...
@dewey decibel Yep, I was and still am inspired by the tones of the AC10 SRT from the Doug and Pat show. Its what prompted me to post originally. What a beast of an amp!
@JPH118 makes a version of the AC10 SRT. It's even been featured on the Doug and Pat Show.
Henry Amps

Hey guys, yes we do indeed make an AC10-SRT-inspired amp that we developed along with the incredible help of Doug & Pat (they each own one of ours, along with their friend Dale from the show).

It's a very different amp from anything else Vox ever made, and I believe it was their attempt at an American-style circuit using tubes they already had available in the UK. It's got aspects of both Fender tweed and early Ampeg designs, neither of which can be found in the more common AC10 combos (the original SRT was only available as a head & 2x10" cab). The circuit then morphed into the UL710 head before Vox began adding solid state elements to their designs (I'm currently trying to get an SRT+ to Johan Segeborn in Sweden to compare with his vintage UL710).

We've recently added a "Pull-Boost" function to allow for the natural overdrive and compression that D&P love earlier on the Volume dial. We looked into power scaling, but frankly, I felt that keeping DC voltage optimal throughout the circuit makes for a better representation of the original amp.

Here are a few videos, including the Doug & Pat show episode...

Premier Guitar review...

And RJ Ronquillo demo...

Thanks guys, Happy Holidays!!

BSOD

Gents, the AC10 SRT pictured above is a totally different animal from any other AC10. The SRT uses an ECC83 for the front end, not the typical EF86 used in other JMI AC10s. It also has a few other oddities in the circuit that make it the oddball that it is. Also, it is not fair to compare current Vox AC10s. They sound nothing like the originals. You will not get the sound of the posted amp with any other AC10.
JMI AC10 twins have 2 Channels, one with an EF86, other with an ECC83. FYI.

HotBluePlates

JMI AC10 twins have 2 Channels, one with an EF86, other with an ECC83. FYI.
The Twin combos have two channels, but the SRT head is still entirely different ...
The EF86 is for the Trem channel, and the ECC83 is the phase inverter for both channels.

The Normal channel in the standard AC10 (single or Twin) is powered by the triode section of the ECF82 (6U8). It has a Mu of 40, so the gain is like a 12AY7. But unlike a tweed Fender, there's no additional gain before the phase inverter/output section, so this channel is quite clean & wimpy.

I own a ~64/65 AC10 Twin, and only ever use the Trem channel. Even that doesn't have the gain of the AC10 SRT or the Henry Amps' version (I almost bought the AC10 SRT offered by North Coast Music earlier in the year, but decided against it).

Trending Topics