Vox Copies: JMJ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ridecat, Aug 3, 2006.

1. ridecat

ridecat Member

Like a lot of folks, I'm looking for a Vox AC30 type amp. I had pretty much decided to order a Hayseed, then I found out about JMJ amps:

http://www.jmjamps.com/index.html

Love the fact that I could get power scaling on a JMJ! Looks like a JMJ and a headbox from North Coast Music and I'd be set.

Anyone tried one? Of course, I'd love to hear from anyone that has tried a JMJ and Hayseed. Once I get either I may order one of the AC30CC heads to compare...

TIA, Ridecat

2. le_plastique

le_plastique Member

That is the coolest. Consider this a bump. If anyone owns or has played one of these it would be really cool to get an opinion.

3. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Great amps! Use an A/B/C switch and you have a 3 channel amp, all with independent vol and tone (except normal chan of course). You can put a different set of effects to each channel as well, matching characteristics of the effect to the channel. The power scaling is just icing on the cake and works very well. The JMJ is probably the closest thing (physically and sonically) to a real reissue JMI being built today, other than perhaps the new UK "JMI" namesake amps. Since you live in DC, you are probably 20 minutes from Matt so you won't have to deal with shipping and you can get some personal attention or tweaks if you want...

Compared to a Hayseed, I've not heard the two side by side so I won't comment other than to say that the clips on the Valvetech site sound very good. I don't really like the concept of adding tone shaping components to make one tranny sound like another, but if it works, it works.:YinYang

Buildwise, JMJ is amazingly good and true to the AC30 style. It will fit in any JMI style amp cab. The Hayseed has more of a kit look internally (IMHO) but seems neat and perfectly functional. I don't like the lack of vents on the top or the vent holes on the back of the Hayseed cabs, but that's just personal opinion. AC30's get hot, and hot air rises is all I have to say about that.

Here are some shots of the internals of each:

Hayseed:
    [​IMG]

JMJ (note the Sozo caps!):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. cranqued

cranqued Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, the JMJ + power scaling combination sounds really appealing. I've been fighting off the urge to pick one up. Obviously hanging out at the Gear Page isn't doing much to help...

By the way, ridecat, there seems to be more discussion of the JMJ's over at the Plexi Palace board.

5. wildmanmatt

wildmanmatt Member

Do not, I repeat do not buy a CC. They are crap. I hate to be so brutal, but, Korg has slaughtered what once was a great amp. I had one of these for about 6 months. I toured with a few other bands and the consensous was, between players and soundguys, its very thin and brittle. I finally purchased a ZVex SHO to make it tollerable. Now I have sold it off and have a Bad Cat/Black Cat 30. Not Exactly and AC30, but its a great EL84 sound, and its a qualitly company. Again, I hate to bash, but I spent a lot of money and had a lot of faith in a corprate piece of shee-ite.

6. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

^ really? i thought the CC's are quite good. mine was pretty thin at first but some ei tubes took away a lot of the fizziness. i've had quite a few other guitar players compliment my sound. although it might be down to that even in these modern times amps can sound different from 1 to another. maybe you got a really bad one and i got a good one...?

7. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Disssaaagreee.

8. cranqued

cranqued Gold Supporting Member

uh oh... before the thread disintegrates, I hope ridecat won't mind if I quote part of his original post:

"I'd love to hear from anyone that has tried a JMJ and Hayseed."

9. le_plastique

le_plastique Member

Agreed.

I do have a question though, it seems as though this thing is trying to capture every AC-30 sound that ever was. However, weren't their differences between the top boosts, normal ac-30s, and 4 inputs besides just the preamp tube topology and the circuits?

10. lazaruslong

lazaruslong Member

care to fill me in on these JMI ones? sounds interesting...

11. littlejohn

littlejohn Member

+1 for JMJ, love my amp! You will too.

Johnny

12. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

13. lazaruslong

lazaruslong Member

Has anyone heard these JMI ones? How do they compare to all the other boutique JMI era VOXes?

I cant image Korg will let them keep those grill-cloth and cabinet aesthetics for long.

14. Ian Anderson

Ian Anderson Supporting Member

I have an orig '64 which is my benchmark amp. The CC sounded really good. Alot more versatile for sure. Without getting too descriptive my '64 with mullards, telefunkens and OG blues had the edge by far in overall musicality and tone. I would like to spend more time with the CC to really get to know it as it is a really good amp. fwiw I tried it with both blues and celestions.
    What really blew me away is the new Brian May AC30! Holy smokes what an amp! I would love to get that together with mine and do a shootout!

15. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Silver Supporting Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    AFAIK, the JMI ones go for about the same price as the handwired Vox AC30s, e.g., around $3000+ You can get a Hayseed with Blues for half that. I think the JMJ's are a little bit more, but still a great value compared to the JMIs, IMO.

16. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

I have a Hayseed. Never tried a JMJ but it looks like a beautiful amp. The main advantage of the Hayseed is that you get the classic AC30 TB tone at a bargain price. It is a hand wired amp with top quality components. I believe one way Rob keeps his prices so low is by using a simplified chassis layout. The JMJ is obviously more authentic when it comes to layout and cosmetics. It also appears to use some more expensive components like the sozos and upgraded transformers which would cost extra on a Hayseed.

The JMJ looks like a work of art. Personally I would never buy one for $3k+ regardless of how good it sounds. You can easily find candy panel AC30's in the $3k's as well as top boost grey panels in that range. For some people the JMJ might be a great option.

17. chetsmith

chetsmith Member

Smart Man:D

18. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Just to be clear, the JMJ's are not $3K. The earlier poster was referring to the new UK JMI company when he mentioned $3K. The Vox HW's are also $3K or so, used. Contact Matt for a price on the JMJ's, you might be pleasantly surprised.

I do agree with all your other comments comparing the Hayseed and the JMJ.

19. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Silver Supporting Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    As far as I can tell, the JMJs are $1400. A Vox AC-30 cabinet from North Coast is $450 shipped. Pair of Celestion Blues -- around $500; so you're looking at around $2350 for a fully equiped JMJ. Still a better value than the JMI offering.

20. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

That's cool. I (mis)took it from that previous post that the JMJ's were over $3k. They look like a well built amp. Given their cosmetic similarities to the real thing I wonder how long it will be before they get a nasty letter from Korg like Hayseed did?