Vox Custom Classic And Clips!! Killer Amp!

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by Tag, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I HAD to pick one up! :eek: FRIGGIN KILLER!

Top clip here called VOX... http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=271268

It can hang with my Brunos. Yes, they sound better, but its CLOSE! This however, is TRUE Vox tone! The limitations and hard treble (Blizzard of nails to th eardrum) have always stopped me from buying a vintage and RI Vox. Well, with the adjustable EQ, internal routing of both channels, MV, and other cool features, this one was just a MUST have. The tone is 100% world class. INSANE!! Even the reverb is darn good! Another point. I THOUGHT they had solved the SS rectifier problem by finally getting one to sound like a tube, but it IS a tube rectifier! YEEEEHAAA!!!
    :BEER Vox made their OWN transformers and everything for this amp. They got it RIGHT to my incredible ear. :D

Here is about 3 minutes of sound clips in varying styles. Dont worry, I rock out a little. LOL! I plug in with everything about halfway, and just adjust EVERYTHING from the volume knob on the guitar. My fingers were frozen, so I started with a simple little blues with my Chapin Stratahoula. Volume on the guitar at about 1\2. Then I crank the volume on the guitar and play the intro to "PAPERBACK WRITER." VERY GOOD! Then I plug in my PRS, and play some standard blues licks, then I played a chord melody to the Beatles "Yesterday". I tried to play really simple and just show the amps tones. There is some digital clipping as usual, but man, the amp sounds INCREDIBLE. I am NOT easily impressed! You guys HAVE to check one out. SMOKING AMP for $839 bucks!!!!!!!!! I got the 1\12 combo, as I have a 2\12 with celestion Blues already. the clips are with the stock 1\12 speaker.

Top clip here called VOX... http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=271268

2. haslar

haslar Member

Tag,

That is impressive indeed.

I particularly like the Paperback Writer bit.

I tried that amp in a shop a few months ago, and was not exactly overwhelmed, but when I hear you play I think that I prefer hearing others play on Voxes, rather than playing Voxes myself!
    :rolleyes:

3. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

moved to the clips section

4. Tag

Hey Alec. The Trainwreck clips and all kinds of other AMP CLIPS stayed in the amps section. Moving mine where no one will hear it is not fair. No others were moved. What gives? I put a lot of effort into that. I would appreciate it if you could move it back. Thanks.

5. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Hate to say it...but I agree with Tag. :eek:

Seems a bit of a double standard to me.............more fair would be MUSIC clips here and AMP demo clips in the Amps section.

Anyway, good job, Tag-o.........rip some Brad Paisley on that sucker, for me....I know you have a nice tele!!!

-Jim

6. scottl

scottl Member

Agree with Jim too.... No double standards please.

I loved it Tag! Makes me want one! Very good.

7. aleclee

Here's the deal:

When I come across a thread that appears to be created to discuss a clip, it goes in the soundclips section. I don't see everything. If you want to report threads you find questionable, I'd be happy to review them and apply the same criteria.

If you don't think that's fair, I'm sorry.

8. Tag

Alec,

That is a MAJOR double standard. The Trainwreck was on the main page for WEEKS with CLIP in the title. It was ALL that thread was about.
    Give me a break man. I post ALL of my jamming clips in the members section. this was an amp demo.

9. aleclee

Tag, please check your email.

10. Tag

Nothing. Its tag303@optonline.net

11. scottl

scottl Member

Yo Tag. Give me a buzz. Now... lol

Cell please.

12. aleclee

We don't differentiate between tone clips and jam clips because, frankly, I don't think that there's a good line to be drawn between the two. If we can't distinguish between the two, there's no point in having a clips section in which case the next logical place would be in the Lounge. I think we can agree that putting jam clips in the Lounge isn't very appealing.

If you want to start a thread in the amps section discussing how cool the CC, there's no problem with having a link to the thread in the clips section. Bottom line: if you're using a clip to stimulate discussion, it goes in the clip section. I don't know that there's a way that's more fair that that. If you want us to discriminate between jam clips and tone clips, there's a lot more room for interpretation which I believe would lead to even more cries of unfairness.

I don't know what to tell you besides there's one standard. If it doesn't always get applied, that's because we dont' read every thread. If that really bothers you, I'd your effort might be better spent by reporting those threads rather than griping about unfairness.

13. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

I'm very impressed... considered the head version when they first came out, but wanted to read some reviews first. You actually did one better by providing clips!

Was seriously thinking D13 RSA31, but I'd save a heck of a lot of money by getting a VOX to get the VOX sound! Go figure!

14. Tag

So you have seen the last three of mine, and moved them within minutes, but no one elses? The Trainwreck clip was there for weeks. OK, someone is reporting me I guess. Im sure I know who that is.

15. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

This is bad. I am agreeing with Tag again...... about the VOX.
    I played one for a while at Guitar Center and rather liked it!

Nice to hear something good for < 1K

16. aleclee

Allow me to reiterate:

I don't read every thread.

If I run across something (like 20-something clip threads in the FX section the other day), it gets moved. Don't take it personally and, more importantly, don't make this a personal issue.

17. Woodyworld

Woodyworld Member

I'm very shocked I did not expect to like it but have to agree it's a wonderful tone. I Particuarly Love the way the clean is on the edge of break up. It's such a sweet sounding tone...............

Congratulations.

18. Tag

Hey Alec,
    I sent you a return PM. Ill try your recommendation in amps and cabs.
    Thanks!
    Tag

19. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

I will say that the Voxy flavor is attempted, but this tone is nowhere near the tone that my highly trained ear knows as true Vox. The tone gets the point across and is familiar, but it is nowhere near a JMI era tone OR an English reissue. What I heard on the clip is exactly what I heard regarding tonal qualities when playing them in person. Ahh well. M.E.

20. Tag

I will have to make some A/B clips with one of my buddies vintage ones and test you!!! Ill make three different clips of each, and do it in a random fasion. It will be interesting to see what is actually heard compared to what is imagined!! I will also record it in full CD quality, and maybe Scott lerner can host the clip. (It will get rid of any MP3 degradation) FUN! :) I had it right next to a "Normal" RI, and they sounded almost exactly alike to my ear. The only difference was the normal one was totally limited in tone, and you had to make your ears bleed to get any overdrive at all. The RI took second place in the blind testing against all kinds of originals,(with VOX fans no less!!!) so its a given they sound as good as originals anyway.