1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Vox DA5 - Questions about upgrading the speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by johnnylighton, Feb 17, 2009.

1. johnnylighton

johnnylighton Member

I have a Vox DA5 and a Weber Signature 8S Alnico on its way to me. Two questions:

Do I have to enlarge the speaker hole opening? Or can I mount the speaker where some of it is behind the fiberboard?

Will this new speaker reduce my battery life? If so, by how much? Most of the time I will be playing softly on the 0.5 watt setting.

Any other tips before I start this project? Thanks!! :)

2. ruger9

ruger9 Member

Do you even know for sure if the magnet will fit in there? It's not a very deep cab.

3. johnnylighton

johnnylighton Member

I got the idea and the speaker choice from posts on this site - so hopefully yes...

4. johnnylighton

johnnylighton Member

Amp is here! Speaker is here! I would be so appreciative if anyone with experience could answer my questions from the first post. :D

5. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

ooooo, waiting to hear...I'd like to upgrade my DA5 too....just throw it in there and see-

6. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

does it fit?

the stock speaker is 5.5"

7. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

I think I measured once for an 8 in. speaker in there and thought it possibly COULD fit...pretty tight though-

8. johnnylighton

johnnylighton Member

I will know if it fits most likely next weekend (have to have my woodworker buddy help me). Should I enlarge the hole? The stock speaker is 6.5". I can use the original hole, but the additional 1.5" will be behind the fiberboard. Or I can enlarge the hole.

9. phild

phild Member

I enlarged the hole in mine for the webber - though you probably don't have to, I wanted as much air/sound as possible to make it out.

I can upload a couple pics if you like.

10. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

that would be very cool!...and please tell us how you did it-

how do you like the Webber in it?

11. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I think it might be worth it to enlarge the hole. I put an Emi 8" in my DA5 and used the stock hole. It sounded a little more full, but it lost some of the sparkle and liveliness of the original speaker. I used an Emi Pro Audio speaker with a freaking big magnet, an Alpha 8A, http://www.eminence.com/proaudio_sp...ail_link=ALPHA-8A&speaker_size=8&SUB_CAT_ID=2 , overkill.

I ultimately put the stock speaker back in because overall the amp lost a lot of its charm with that Pro Audio big speaker. Maybe if I'd have enlarged the hole? Glad I didn't because I couldn't put the stock speaker back in then.

I think with an 8" guitar speaker you're much better off.

12. phild

phild Member

It does sound a lot better with the webber in there. Not sure if it was worth the money for a practice amp though. I couldn't get a good pic through the front grill, and was too lazy to take it off. The hole I cut out ended up being more of an oval shape due to the logo on the upper baffle - then once I cut it, I did a quick shot of black spray paint on it, I had the paint already. And you have to take the amp right apart to instal it, but it's not very difficult.

Anyway here are a couple of pics through the back.

[​IMG]
    You can see the speaker fills the entire cabinet, and also some of the overspray from the paint.

13. phild

phild Member

14. ruger9

ruger9 Member

Very nice! So the 8" fit no prob, just had to enlarge the hole?

Describe how it sounds different than the stock speaker... more bass? more highs? What?

Good job!

15. phild

phild Member

More lows - a more full sound, not as harsh. Nothing extreme mind you - just warmer basically.

16. johnnylighton

johnnylighton Member

Thanks for the photos and the additional information!

My speaker upgrade project is delayed a little while because I exchanged my guitar (Traveler Speedster) for one that's more comfortable to play for extended periods while sitting down (Washburn X-50Pro) and that means I will have no guitar for a couple weeks. But I will post again to this thread when it's done. :)