Vox Handwired Handles

spence

Silver Supporting Member
Anybody find decent replacement handles for those ugly plastic ones on the Vox Handwired series? It seems like most replacements have a longer center to center (length wise) and won't lay down flat.

jsboswell

Silver Supporting Member
Contact Bob Schell of Brookwood leather and have him make you some nice custom leather handles. He can match the dimensions and the cosmetics of your amp. I love mine!

spence

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks, I looked at Brookwood's website and they look nice. I'll need 3 of them for the head and cab, so it looks like it would cost me over $100 for leather ones. I've seen some heavy vinyl 'leather look' ones that were made pretty nice and a lot cheaper, but they wouldn't be near as classy as the real leather that's for sure, and it doesn't look like they'll fit anyways.

Last edited:

WhoJamFan

Silver Supporting Member
http://www.brettunsvillage.com/trunks/howto/parts/schandles.htm

Scroll to almost the bottom of the page, they are real leather with steel reinforced bar running through them. I installed 2 on my 50 anny Vox 2x12 cab and one on my Vox AC15 TVH head.
Fit perfect, will lay flat, and probably last forever.
$25 each shipped and will arrive in well inder a week.
If you have to have them in that ugly light brown, all I was able to find were custom made ones or the crappy PVC ones they used at the factory.

spence

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the link. The mounting holes on my amp are only 6" apart, and the whole handle is only 7 1/4" long, so I'm not sure if that handle would fit laying flat. What's the distance between your mounting holes?

spence

Silver Supporting Member
I'm wanting to change to a different handle completely. The ugly plastic ones are just that - ugly. I may just go with the Brookwood suggestion if I can find a place that sell the mounting brackets. Brookwood doesn't have them. The brackets on my current handles won't come off. It's like they're molded in there. Northcoast has them, but they're $10 each plus $2 shipping!

Last edited:

WhoJamFan

Silver Supporting Member
You can get those footman loop brackets at the same place I posted in both chrome and brass.
I'll measure my amp and report back.

spence

Silver Supporting Member
I emailed Brettuns Village and inquired about the handle hardware. I couldn't find it on their website. Hopefully they'll have them. Thanks again!

WhoJamFan

Silver Supporting Member
Both my head and cab measure 7-3/8" from screw center to screw center. I'll try posting a pic.

spence

Silver Supporting Member
I really appreciate your help man. It looks like I can get 2 sets (4 per set, I'll need 6) for $20 shipped. That's 1/3 the cost of North Coast Music. I guess I could always cut the brackets out of the plastic handles too. It surprises me that the hole spacing on your smaller head is wider than my AC30. Your amp looks great by the way.

WhoJamFan

Silver Supporting Member
My pleasure. I brought the cab back from the dead as it had no handles, speakers, was scuffed and beat up, and the grill cloth was seperated from the top for about 6 inches. A lot of scrubbing and tlc and now she looks almost showroom new. I got a great deal on a pair of used UK Celestion Blues and it sounds fantastic.
I had to go through the same problem looking for handles, and wasn't thrilled with the light brown/orangish ones I saw online at dealers, ebay, Reverb etc, but these ones looked like they would Be better made and last longer. I wasn't aware that the stock handles were similarly built with the steel reinforcement until I scored the head, but man, that handle feels like pvc and looks like it's gonna unravel any minute.
So
Back to Bruttuns Villiage for a third handle to match and I'm quite happy with the result.
Thanks for the compliments.

WhoJamFan

Silver Supporting Member
Don't destroy the plastic handles getting the footman loops out, just ebay them or keep them somewhere if you ever decide to sell the amp.
Chances are, no matter how nice your replacement handles are, some weenie will cry that "it's not all original" and try to get you to signifigantly knock down the price.

spence

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, the amp won't sound as "creamy" without those plastic handles huh? Brettun's just got back to me and said their bracket is 2" center to center. My bracket holes are 1-7/8", so I'm not sure it that'll work.

Last edited:

Otto Tune

I'm wanting to change to a different handle completely. The brackets on my current handles won't come off. It's like they're molded in there.
The brackets will come off. I went the other way, I put a VOX handle on my pedalboard and the brackets were too large, so I grabbed them with pliers and pulled them out. I found a leather Marshall handle and used the brackets from it. But you could put the VOX brackets you have into a leather Marshall handle.

spence

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks - I tried using pliers, and couldn't get them out. The molded handle plastic is really hard. I need to put the handle in a vice to get more leverage. I'll keep working on it!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom