Vox Handwired Owners: Hot/Cool switch?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by buzzp, Nov 6, 2013.

Do you use the hot/cool switch?

1. Yes

2. No

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. GuitarSwan

GuitarSwan Member

Guess I'm in the minority here (I'm new) but I love the hot mode. I used it as the base sound for my band's album, and I run it that way when we do "showcase" type gigs doing mostly original sets. For all other gigs I don't use it because I need a cleaner base, and I find the volume jump to be too much and unpredictable compared to an OD pedal. I wish there was a way to make it a smoother transition, though.

2. ken374

ken374 Member

when I had one I used it a lot for higher gain with a SG or Les Paul

3. earthmud

earthmud Supporting Member

I run my HW with channels jumped, bright switch on, and prefer the top boost to the normal. Different strokes for different folks.

4. gbyrnes77

gbyrnes77 Member

I did not use it when I had one. I found using a pedal to boost more useful.

5. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

Same here on going between top boost and normal modes and now avoid the hot mode completely. I would like to do some light mod to this amp to take it up a notch, haven't figured out all, perhaps will start with tubes and see what else I can mod. It has potential to get to a higher tone place.

6. playthecray

playthecray Supporting Member

My amp stays in cool mode. I do jump the channels and either use the MV or bypass it.

7. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

I've had my HWAC30 for about 3 years and never once used the Hot switch. Just not for me. The amp though, just brilliant.

8. eigentone

eigentone Supporting Member

Yes.

I normally use the Normal channel. Bright on for Humbuckers and sometimes P90s.

Initially I used the TB channel occasionally and favored the standard (cool) mode. Then for some reason I decided I liked the Hot mode. My typical approach: Open the Tone Cut. Turn the TB Volume up (pretty high). Turn the Bass up all the way. Turn the Treble all the way up. Then turn the treble down until the sound thickens up -- about half way. Here's the important bit - the rest comes from the guitar's controls and hands. Maybe it was the tube changes. Maybe it was a developed/acquired taste. I occasionally EQ before the amp. I use the High input, and hit it very lightly (attenuated).

Not jumping here with this AC30.