Vox "Heritage 50th Anniversary" Amp Speakers

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by MrKite89, Feb 2, 2015.

1. MrKite89

MrKite89 Member

Hi everybody, I'd like to know your opinion (and your experience) regarding the Vox Heritage series (2007-2009) especially, what do you think about the speakers?
    Here's my opinion: I bought an AC30H2L (limited edition mahogany cab) first and I liked it so much that I bought an AC15H1TV also! Both amps sound incredible from the moment you plug your guitar in, these are very well made, wonderful sounding, CHINESE MADE amps, and I discovered that also the Blue speakers are chinese made! They don't have the same cone as the UKs, but maintain the same magnet...now, they sound different! But that the UK ones sound better could be just an old cliché...listen to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1md0UNyoIU

Note that the amp is an AC15H1TV, and it is cranked, no OD pedals...I think everybody can tell the difference: tighter bass and more mids from the UKs, more open and "flatter" sound from the chinese...But which is closer to an original 60's Silver Bell for example? I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6mXTa7LC1g

Note that here the amp is a CLEAN british made (Korg era) AC30TB and the overdrive tones come from an OD pedal, not the amp itself...
    Anyway I can hear an open, flatter sound from the Silver Bell, closer to the chinese one...

My opinion is that these were GREAT amps (the Heritage), made to SOUND GOOD, and people recognized this, but after a while they started writing in the forums what they didn't like: master volume missing, no footswirchable options, no "real point-to-point" construction AND the speaker that "sounds good but not as the UK one"...so Vox came out with the Handwired series, a pathetic try on "making everyone happy", but a poor sounding amp compared to the "raw, no-compromise" Heritage Series...

What do you think about? Could it be that they made a really "special" amp and that they "ruined it" trying to give people what they ask, even if people often doesn't know WHY they want something?

Conclusion: to my ears, the UK one has the typical Brian May "wall of middish treble booster sound", the chinese seems more 60's, clearer, brighter, flatter and maybe even more versatile...you won't find these speakers anymore: they were shipped with the Heritage amps and are not purchasable alone...

2. jeancoltrane

jeancoltrane Member

ive got a mahogany ac15htv... great amp and i cant imagine being without the ef86 in the newer series. cant say ive compared the chinese to uk blue, but i did recently swap the blue for a weber blue alnico 30w. i find the tone cut has way more range now and that it takes fuzz a lot better. also less high freq fizz and cone cry.

3. MrKite89

MrKite89 Member

Thanks for your contribution!
    And congratulations for the amp! I have both the mahogany and the "standard" cab, and I can say that the warmth of solid wood resonating is unbeatable! And yes, the EF86 is THE channel in this amp! ;)
    For the speaker, I found that the AC30 takes pedals way better than the AC15, if you want clarity, but if you want massive distortion at resonable volumes it's better the AC15! It's a question of headroom...maybe your new speaker adds clarity and has the same effect of having other 15 watts!
    You can try also a 5751 or a 12AY7 in the PI: very pedal friendly setup! My AC15 has a EH 5751 and sounds warmer and clearer at the same time, just a little bit of personality lost, but that's what you want if you're looking for a clean platform for pedals...

4. jeancoltrane

jeancoltrane Member

haha good to know paying the extra $$ for the mahogany cab has an advantage other than looking cool. $2400 for the ac15 at the time in canada.. ouch! i usually run it on edge of breakup, which with the ef86 is really sweet and 3d as im sure you know - no bright switch with a strat and 2nd bright switch with humbuckers. usually in triode ef86 mode for the extra headroom but the overdrive in pentode mode cant be beat. thanks for the tip on the PI, more head room would be nice - i settled on an old mullard 163 which really smoothed the breakup at higher gain and have had good luck with an amperex bugle boy and tesla for the ef86

5. MrKite89

MrKite89 Member

Wow, a lot of money, but it is an ultimate amp! I paid 1700€ for the AC30H2L new and 450€ for the AC15H1TV used, here in Italy...
    Yeah, position 2 on the bright switch sounds really cool with humbuckers: reminds me of a treble booster tone but without the extra gain, really sweet...
    I have problems finding a non-microphonic EF86: the only one that I found is the NOS Winged "C" EF86 from the 60's that I buy from a guy who test them...it's built like a tank and the sound is better than a modern version, but a bit harsh compared to a NOS RTF...if I only could find a "solid" one!

6. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

I've got an AC30H2. I'm surprised there haven't been more posts from the TGP faithful about the Chinese Alnico speakers in that amp. Mine is stock, and I think it sounds incredible (loud). Frankly, I'm grateful for the scuttlebutt concerning the non original cone in the Chinese Blue. It allowed me to acquire this amp new in box and shipped for $1000 USD. I have a NOS Mullard EF86 meshplate and JJ EL84 tubes in it now. Very nice.

7. MrKite89

MrKite89 Member

Congratulation for the amp at such a good price!
    Yeah, the stock speaker is just fine with this amp, they made it well from the beginning...Do they sound closer to the vintage Silver Bells or is it just me? ;)
    What about microphonics with the Mullard? Do you have to buy 10 and keep 1? I'm looking for a good sounding, RELIABLE EF86...
    Thank you very much!

8. imbuedblue

imbuedblue Member

I've been gigging with an AC30H2 since they came out. I've never played through an old Silver Bell so I can't really comment on that, but I've never felt the need to re-cone the stock speakers.

I bought a handful of EF86s--Amperex, Telefunken, Mullard--when I first got the amp, but settled on a mesh plate Mullard. It's still going strong after seven years.

9. TimmyP

TimmyP Member

You could not give me an EF86 amp. NOS tubes are way too expensive, and finding a good (meaning microphonic, but not too microphonic) new one is a big PITA. The only thing worse than having one is having more than one.

10. MrKite89

MrKite89 Member

I know what you mean...damper rings are stupid and a good old EF86 is unbeatable! Now I'm using a NOS Winged "C" dated 1965 and is not microphonic at all, but the sound can be harsh when really pushed...

11. MrKite89

MrKite89 Member

Ah, I mean, the Winged "C" is quite cheap: 16 euros if I remember!

12. MrKite89

MrKite89 Member

The two videos I linked in the first post can give you an idea of the frequency response of the three models: UK reissue, Chinese (stock Heritage speaker) and vintage Silver Bell...

13. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

Mr. Kite, I got my Mullard meshplate EF86 from Mike at KCA tubes. Not cheap, but within reason for a NOS, and no microphonics. Most highly recommended. Nothing else sounds like an EF86 in a Vox.

14. MrKite89

MrKite89 Member

Thank you very much Stratobuc! It seems that a Mullard is the way to go! :)