Vox Heritage AC15 or Divided RSA 31

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by michael c, Mar 24, 2008.

1. michael c

michael c Member

I'm going to be using it 85% of the time for sessions. Is it worth the extra $1,300.00 for the RSA 31? Anyone have experience with both of the amps?

Thank you.

2. michael c

michael c Member

3. JBarlow

JBarlow Member

Never used the AC15 for recording, but I have used the AC30 version. My RSA31 did everything the Vox did and more. I've used it anywhere from old-school country to hard rock. But, that's for me. What kind of music are you primarily doing? Play them both, though, because a lot of people get amazing tones from the Vox Heritage amps.

4. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

The RSA31 is much larger-sounding, much more on par with an AC30. the AC15 Heritage is an incredible amp, I love mine, but the 15's are a little different animal. I think of them as the evil little brother. The Heritage has, in my experience, become a great session amp and with the different tone switches has a lot of options.

lgehrig4 likes this.
  5. blondeorphan

blondeorphan Member

Michael, if you're wanting to cop that cool U2 thing and that's the sound you're going for I would say go with the AC15. The RSA31 is a lot more versatile of an amp though IMHO. The EQ channel, which is very vox inspired, can do everything from the AC 30 Normal channel to the Modest Mouse "We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank" tones, which are Plexi & Super 6 Fender tones. The tone controls are ridiculously interactive. The CLICK channel with the 5879 pentode (low cut) control is less compressed, more 3 dimensional and marshall-esque. It's a very versatile EL84 amp and if session work is your primary goal, I would definitely say it's your pony.

I have a track I can email you if you're interested in hearing it in a mix.

Regards

6. Teleking

Teleking Supporting Member

I've played and owned a ton of amps. The Heritage AC15 was the best I've ever played, especially for lead stuff--it LOVED pedals. I'd love to buy one just for that. I bought a Heritage AC30 and I like it for my live situation, but I don't think it sounds as good as the AC15 Heritage I played through. I originally bought the AC15 and had it for two days and played more those two days than I've ever played. I almost cried when I took it back. I'm definitely going to look for one as soon as I can. I didn't try to record it, but I record constantly and I've got to believe this thing would record very well.

7. michael c

michael c Member

Did you not have enough clean headroom with the AC15 or why did you go with the AC30?

8. Teleking

Teleking Supporting Member

Yeah, just not enough clean headroom with the AC15 for me. I also think they sound different. The 15 is a different sounding amp than the 30. I prefer the 15, but need the 30 for clean headroom.