Vox in a box?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ziggy Stardust, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust Member

I'm looking for a pedal which can give me the sound of an overdriven vox. I got a Vox AC15, which sounds just brilliant turned all the way up. The dirty, overdriven sound I get is just perfect. When I play at home I just use the top boost and the mastervolume to krank it. But I need something I can get this sound with live. When I play live I'm in need of more sounds than just the overdriven one. So, which pedal am I looking for?

2. Rock72

Rock72 Member

Not the cheapest one on the block, but IMO one of the better one for this:

BJF Emerald Green Distortion Machine (EGDM)

3. erksin

erksin Member

Menatone Top Boost in a Can - there's a few for cheeps in the emporiums right now I think...

4. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust Member

5. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

dude.... tc electronic vintage tube primer/trex moller.

its an extremely transparent pedal. In front of my AC30 its almost indescernable form actually cranking the amp.

6. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust Member

I'll check it out. Couldn't find any decent demos of it on youtube, neither on TC Electronics website. Know where I can find it?

7. Teahead

Teahead Member

8. seiko

seiko Member

Found it worked well into an EL84 amp not so great with a Fender 6V6 in my experience anyway.

9. benjisaynomore

benjisaynomore Member

OCD was made to sound exaclty like a cranked AC15. See fulltone's website description. I own one and it can do the cranked marshall sound better then the vox I play through an AC30 with it. But I love the od it gives. +1.

10. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust Member

Thanks for the answers. I'll check them all out.

I've started going through some of the demo videos, most of them actually
    doesn't sound that dirty as I would want it to. May just be the preset,
    but I love my sound real dirty and crunchy.

Perhaps a Vox in a box type of pedal isn't the right way to go?

11. seiko

seiko Member

Tried a lovepedal death of a vox in a store, it was really dirty and possibly even brighter than the cranked vox ac in the rehearsal place I use sometimes, so that might be something to look into. Also, tech 21 liverpool is getting good early word.

12. shngn7

shngn7 Member

I agree completely. My OCD can turn my Fender Super Reverb into a carnked Marshall/Vox in the push of a button.

13. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I guess i'm not quite following the question. You state you have the tone you want but need more tones for live work? What other tones are you looking for if you already have the perfect cranked OD tone from the amp?

FWIW, i've tried a TBIAC and it didn't really sound like my buddies cranked AC 30. Cool pedal but it fell short for me. Nothing like a real AC 15 or AC 30.

14. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust Member

Clean, and other types of distortion.

15. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Tough to find a pedal that sounds just like the cranked amp. I'll also give a nod to the OCD. It's a great pedal to run thru a clean amp. It won't sound exactly like your cranked amp but it's the most amp-like pedal I've tried into a clean amp. Sounded much better than the "amp in a box" pedals. Your milage may vary.

I use a single channel JCM 800 and I kinda went thru the same search... trying to find a pedal that sounded great into the amp set fairly clean. I had a decent, usable clean with the OCD off and the guitars volume down, a semi-dirty grind with the guitars volume up all the way and then a great higher gain with the OCD. Also, the OCD is pretty versitile with different settings and the HP/LP modes.

16. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust Member

Yeah, lately I've been checking out a lot of pedals but no one really does it for me. They all sound good, but they're all missing that last little touch.

Should definitely have bought a two channeled amp.

I'm not giving up my tone just to have a more versatile rig. I can clean it up with the volume on the guitar, even though that's not the best option.
    I'd love it if I could find a way to fit a Menatone Crazy Horse and a Crunchbox into my rig.

Any ideas what I can do? Buying another amp is not an option, as my budget is rather tight..

17. gravy

gravy Member

i know you said another amp is out but if i`m getting your question it may be the answer. a vox pathfinder is pretty cheap- set to taste with the ac15 sound you love. then you have options and your sound. cheaper than most pedals!

18. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

Proguitarshop has a youtube demo of the TRex Moller. The TRex is the same pedal but in a different casing. TC electronic just distributes them as the tc tube primer.

he uses a 65 amps soho i think in the demo, which is sort of Voxy so you should get a good idea of how it works.

Also the clip in my sig was done with the tube primer, boosted by a tube screamer.

19. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Thats kinda my thought too. For the money some of these pedals go for, your almost in new amp dollar range. You'd also need a grounded AB/Y box or somthing to elimintate ground loops but it would be a very good route to go.