Vox in the AxeFX

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gasp100, May 10, 2008.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I just re-read Scott's manifesto on the AxeFX (for at least the 10th time). I am SO stoked for this "amp". At this point, I'm just a bedroom player (although I hate to admit that because of my past experiences and such). But, I really would LOVE to just have a killer sounding amp that I can play at lower levels, through studio monitors, through head phones late night (SO I CAN PRACTICE MORE!) and with the option to plug through a power amp and cab and just jam. FX are icing on the cake (huge Alex Lifeson and Andy Summers fan, but I rarely use FX anymore -- my kids pick them up off the floor and whip them at each other :messedup so it's not safe to use pedals when they are home).
    Anyway, My Gries 5 is sounding so sweet for BF cleans and some tweed grind with my Tele I'm completely satisfied. I just got my Winfield 18/30 modded with an MV and the amp is just a jangle king. I mean, I play LOW volumes when the crew is home and the both sound so freaking good to me. The only thing I'm missing is great Vox tones. I've had an AC15CC and an AC15 HW head and I liked them both -- someone on the AxeFX please jump in and tell me the Vox tones are "there"! Scott used some great adjectives including the magical "swirl" and "shimmer" -- I need more clips, opinions, something to keep me afloat on the AxeFX.
    :banana

2. AndrewSimon

AndrewSimon Member

Hmm... I don't know much about VOX the only patch I ever did with the VOX sim is this one:

http://www.andras-shimon.com/AXE-FX/PANNER.mp3

If it speaks to you great, if not don't let it discourage you, it's probably my lack of knowledge on how the original sounds.

:)

3. Gasp100

nice... there is some "air" in there -- was that recorded direct?

4. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

This is from last August; but it'll give you a taste. The main melody hook (panned center) is a crunch Vox type of tone. All guitars recorded direct and all are 100% Axe-FX.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=5635391

5. Gasp100

6. AndrewSimon

AndrewSimon Member

Yes, it's direct.

:rolleyes:

7. Gasp100

Sounds great... the trem is way cool, but I really dig the "rawness" of the tone. I'm getting excited!

8. AndrewSimon

AndrewSimon Member

9. soldano16

soldano16 Member

I must admit that everything is so heavy with effects, I have no idea what the amp sounds like by itself. Since I basically play just guitar-amp, I can't compare the clips to my AC30.

Anyone have totally clean clips?

10. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

There are no effects outside of some reverb in my little clip there.