Vox-ish amp: lighter, effects loop, maybe two channels

Always-Ben

Silver Supporting Member
Hello,

I like the base Vox AC15 combo for what it is, but I'm hoping to use a type of setup where I put my line 6 M9 in the loop for all delays/mods/filters, and either use one channel plus volume knob, or two channels for different gain stages. Thanks to a recent recovery from a hernia surgery id say a Vox is too heavy for me, so something lighter than 45 lbs. I have to worry about stairs so handtrucks are out.

I don't need a exact replica of the Vox sound, but something 90% of the way there would be nice. If it came down to it I prefer one with better overdriven tones than cleans.

Budget: willing to buy used, $800.

Last edited:

Rod

Vibrato & String Bender on Overdrive
Gold Supporting Member
These best solution for weight is a separate head and cab... Here's my 1/10 setup. Head and cab each weigh about 20 lbs...

Should even the AC15 be too heavy for you then it's really a neodymium driver that could shave off a few lbs. Other than that I have a hard time envisioning what would be substantially lighter yet retain this level of quality and tone.

btjguitarman

Silver Supporting Member
Dr z just dropped an ultralight cab option. Not sure exactly what it'd weigh out to but I'd say a maz 18 with that ultralight cab. It'll cost quite a bit more coin than an ac15 but you're getting quite a bit more amp than an ac15 as well.

Rod

Vibrato & String Bender on Overdrive
Gold Supporting Member
Should even the AC15 be too heavy for you then it's really a neodymium driver that could shave off a few lbs. Other than that I have a hard time envisioning what would be substantially lighter yet retain this level of quality and tone.
Those amps weigh almost 50 lbs.... :(

draelyc

Budda Superdrive 18 combo is I think less than 40#. The 1x12 cabinet for my Shiva weighs more than the Budda combo, fwiw.

The Budda's also two channels with a loop and master volume.

Kerry Brown

When I got my TA-30 I sold my AC15C2. The Mesa sounds more like what I think is the Vox tone, takes pedals better, and it is lighter.

btjguitarman

Silver Supporting Member
Budda Superdrive 18 combo is I think less than 40#. The 1x12 cabinet for my Shiva weighs more than the Budda combo, fwiw.

The Budda's also two channels with a loop and master volume.

Yup the SD18 combo is stupid light for how much amp you're getting

nic'o'caster

Gold Supporting Member
Mesa TA-15 Vox side sounds fantastic and the format is ultra compact. For FX loop get the TA-30. You still can find TA15 or TA30 used for less than the half they used to be !

Always-Ben

Silver Supporting Member
A lot of these suggestions sound good, but will it fit my budget of $800 used?

Also the Budda: I've heard they could be very different depending on the year they were made?

btjguitarman

Silver Supporting Member
A lot of these suggestions sound good, but will it fit my budget of $800 used?

Also the Budda: I've heard they could be very different depending on the year they were made?

Budda will fit that budget or pretty close. I'm not sure on details as far as differences by year.

Always-Ben

Silver Supporting Member
So far we have the Lionheart, Budda SD, and Mesa TA-30. It sounds like the first two's gain channels are more Marshall-like though. Is the Mesa's drive more like a cranked AC?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom