Vox Like Tones Winfield Typhoon vs Frenzel Lil 15

chimaera1982

Hi All

Am considering a low watt vox amp either the Winfield Typhoon (5w single ended class A) or the Frenzel little 15 (15W push pulls). The frenzel seems like the better deal as it has more controls 2 channels vs the Winfield but I do like the clips online for the Winfield. For the Frenzel if I get I will go for the ef86 option so it should be similar. However am partial to class a single ended my 2 out of 3 amps are class A single ended Reeves Custom10HG (el34) and Cornell Romany (6L6).
Any thoughts? This will be hopefully my last amp purchase so now I cover all the bases: Marshall/Fender/Vox and yes I have one Mesa Recto for the chugs...

Thanks guys..

southy

The Typhoon sounds fantastic and has a great touch response - very fun amp to play. I haven't played or heard the Frenzel, only have seen his stuff on ebay. I would go with the Typhoon based on how much I liked the one I played, and on Winnie's stellar reputation.

Sherwood

I will never regret buying my Frenzel Li'l 15 but i said it around here before and i'll say it again: Don't expect Vox chime from that amp. It's a cross between fender blackface with a hint of vox in feel.. Definitely more fender in tone quality. A beautifull tone, by the way. And holds clean loud enough for rehearsals and medium gigs if you play both channels simultaneously as i do.

If vox chime is what you're after, i'd look at an actual vox or, if you have more $ to spend, check some Dr Z amps and 65 Amps London Pro.

Disclaimer: I never played a Winfield amp

chimaera1982

Thanks for the response guys I can't try either of them and I'll be buying blind as I live in HK. Actually the Winfield the cyclone is also on the radar as its closer to the AC15 but it maybe too much of an amp for me.

Peppy

Thanks for the response guys I can't try either of them and I'll be buying blind as I live in HK. Actually the Winfield the cyclone is also on the radar as its closer to the AC15 but it maybe too much of an amp for me.
I get the Hong Kong issue (I bought guitars and amps at Tom Lee, and the old Tsong Fook stores, when I was a teenager), so if you are interested in a Cyclone I can go play several locally for you. Just let me know what guitar(s) to match up with. I do not have a cell phone though so I can't record but I take 'good notes'.

chimaera1982

Hi Peppy

Thanks for the offer, I don't see that much cyclone clips on the Web so that would really help. Am waiting for a shipping quote from Winnie on a Typhoon actually let's see how crazy it is compared to the actual price of the amp.
If by chance you drop by to a local music store, and there is a Cyclone if you can try and get impressions I would be really grateful.
I play mainly Tele's with PRS and yeah usually I play clean-crunch and use guitar volume to adjust gain. I would be interested to know if the chime is there as well.
On another note, Tom Lee is still going strong here I have a preferred member card LOL. I got my Mesa from there but the other amps I got mainly from states..

Peppy

The only Cyclones available, in a retail setting, are in my city. I can tell you beforehand, they have "chime". However, it is of a somewhat more 'open' tone than VOX. (I have owned three VOX amps so I am familiar with them.) Anyway, hit the www.rainbowguitars.com site and see what colors you like. I can try 'em out.

chimaera1982

For the amps that use ef86 is it much better to go for head and cab driver format rather than combo? As in the Winfield cyclone/typhoon

Understand that ef86 is a temperamental Tube and minimizing vibrations that head and cab provides is much better for the Tubes. Is this correct?

Thanks.

Teleplayer

Moder8er
Staff member
EF86 can be temperamental. It's good to have a nice stash of NOS on hand. I have Dario, Telefunken, Valvo, RFT and Tesla (the real Tesla, not JJ). And they all sound a bit different. I run an EF86 in V2 of my Dr. Z Prescription Extra Strength combo with no issues at all (although it's not the driver slot). I also used to run EF86s in two different Dr. Z Stang Ray heads.

Great tube; a real basis of the Vox sound. As long as you get ones that are well tested, you should be fine.

Trending Topics