Vox meets Marshall?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Dylan Fagan, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Dylan Fagan

Dylan Fagan Member

Hey guys,

I gotta ask: Is there an amp out there that has the articulation, chime and openess of a Vox, but the punch and singing quality of a Marshall?

Is it an impossible task?

I've heard talk of the Dr. Z Prescription ES fitting this bill nicely. From what I've heard in clips, as well as the latest Brad Paisley album, it sounds pretty darn sweet. I suppose I just need to find one to try out, but I thought I should probably ask if there's anything else I should check out too. And well, there's not a more knowledgable g.a... I mean gear forum on the net, so I look forward to everyone's replies.

Thanks a million in advance!

edit: ok, I found this thread from earlier in the year, but if anyone has anything to add, feel free to 'chime' in! OH man bad pun.

2. tjs

tjs Senior Member

Kingsley D30 or D32.

www.kingsleyamplifiers.com

It can also get some nice Fender-ish tones, and some say it can do a decent approximation of a Dumble as well (although I haven't been able to achieve that on mine yet.)

3. guitarman_1

guitarman_1 Silver Supporting Member

The Heritage Britton II. Its exactly what you have described.
    Awesome Vox, Marshall, and some Fender tones to boot. Power
    is perfect and not as finicky as the DR Z. I do love the Z, but the versatility and sounds of the Britton II are more player friendly.Great master volume too.

4. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, Guytron that's the premise of the amplifier. Two El-84s driven class "A" into 4 El-34s driven a/b. It doesn't get much better then this.

5. telebuck

telebuck Supporting Member

I see my Aiken Invader (2 El-84s) as somewhat of a cross between marshall and vox. It has the nice chiminess of a vox but can also get a good (older) marshall sound as well. Unfortunately, these have been discontinued, but they seem to pop up fairly often on the used market.

6. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I recently aquired a Tophat Club Royale 2x12. It's taken me awhile to fall in love with it, and I'm not quite there, but it's growing on me. It does remind me a bit of a Marshall with some extra chime on top. I like to put a DGTM in front for extra drive, but it's got a great grinding overdrive on its own. I love how it gets better and better as the master vol. goes up--plus it's a 20 watt amp that you can actually crank the heck out of. Not sure if it's the BEST amp for your application, but I think it would work.

I finally recorded with it last night and I came away impressed. Not sure about the mismatched Celestian greenback/V30 comination.

7. Blueser

Blueser Member

Komet Constellation. Go to www.Kometamps.com and check out the soundclips. Those clips are truth in advertising!!

8. fatback

fatback Member

The Aiken Tomcat is much more of a Vox/Marshall hybird than the 18 watt Invader/Intruder. The Tomcat also runs 2 EL84's but uses a tone stack more similar to a Vox; tone & cut. It also has a bright switch and a gain boost. Think AC-15 on steroids meets an old 18 watt Marshall and you get the idea. The Tomcat gets a great glassy, chewy lead tone, but with very nice Marshally low mid grind. It's only 18 watts, but it's a very loud 18 watts. I have to turn the built in attenuater down a click when I play it cranked up though a 4x12 with my drummer. There was talk of Randall buildind a 4xEL84 version at some time, but he's pretty busy with other projects right now. He told me he built one Tomcat that runs on 2 EL34's, class A, and puts out about 30 watts. I'd love to try it.

9. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Supporting Member

+1 Guytron

10. amc

amc Member

Actually,the original Dr.Z Prescription is the bastard child
    of a Vox and a Marshall

amc

11. e-z

e-z Member

65 Amps London.

18 Watts (more like 22 really) from two el84s with a Marshall side and a Vox side. The marshall channel has a 12ax7 in the preamp and can get great 18W Marshall crunch. The Vox side has an ef86 in the preamp and can get the Vox chime. That channel also has a switchable boost. If you use a Switchbone or some other amp switcher that has phase reversal on one channel then you have both at once.

I have had one for a few months and it is a great amp. On top of that they have excellent customer service.

12. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

if 20 watts is enough......check out the TopHat Club Royale.

The new tube recto'd model in the deeper 1x12 cab is particularly nice. Vox-meets-Marshall all the way.

13. tonedrip

tonedrip Member

14. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

i just played one of these recently.
    golly!

15. mtndog

mtndog Gold Supporting Member

You might want to investigate the Gabriel Voxer. I don't have direct experience, but guys are describing this in similar terms to your criteria. Good hunting!

16. Profklamen

Profklamen Member

17. B Vance

B Vance Member

+1.

Love the 65 London. Played it on Black Friday down at Willcutt. Very nice amp. Peter Straub tone for days. Can't go wrong with Bad Cat either. Black Cat especially.