1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

VOX Night Train 50 - anyone tried it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ShavenYak, May 20, 2011.

1. ShavenYak

ShavenYak Member

Just wondering if anyone has played with one of these bad boys yet. They're in stock at PGS, maybe Andy will do a demo soon.

I'm looking for a head that can do passable AC30 chime and (possibly with some help from a pedal) Marshall crunchiness and has the power to keep up with drums, bass, and two other guitars. I think with a 4x12 this might be just the ticket. Then again, I could probably get a used AC50 even cheaper....

2. boost

boost Member

I tried one and wasn't impressed. The gain channel was buzzy and small sounding regardless of where the gain was set. The normal channel was probably my favorite. It did get chimey a bit and wasn't too bad.

My the clips I heard I was really excited to play one. At the price point I thought it was a no-brainer. The head is very small and light also which was a plus.

To be fair this was plugged into a crate 4 X 12 cabinet with unknown speakers. This probably contributed alot to what I didn't like about the sound. I was able to turn it up, so the buzziness wasn't from low volume playing. I really needed to take it home and plug it into my 4 X 12 (which was offered), but I just wasn't feeling the amp so I declined.

3. ShavenYak

ShavenYak Member

The gain channel sounding small was exactly what I didn't want to hear.
    And unfortunately, the cab I'm planning on using is precisely a Crate 4x12 with unknown speakers (our other guitar player got it as a package deal with an amp he bought off Craigslist). It's incredibly light so the speakers can't be anything great, but I do plan to upgrade them at some point.