Vox Night Train Combo Cab connections

noyty

I have a single 8 ohm Celestion Gold speaker cab that I want to connect to my night train combo. I want to also use the internal 16 ohm greenback. I want to make sure I am making the right connections. Now I have the 16 ohm internal speaker plugged into the single 16 ohm output jack and the 8 ohm cab plugged into one of the two outputs labeled 1 x 8 ohm or 2 x 16 ohm. Here's what the manual says about the outputs:

16 OHM Speaker Jack – Use this to connect the Night Train to any 16 ohm Cabinet

8 OHM Speaker Jacks– Use this to connect the NightTrain to one 8ohm Cabinet or two 16ohm Cabinets.
(NOTE: If using a 16ohm extension cabinet, both the internal speaker and the external cabinet must be connected to the 8 ohm jacks)

I think my connections are correct but the manual has this warning:
Do not connect speaker cabinets to both 8ohm and 16ohm jacks at the same time.

Here's a link to the manual for reference: http://www.voxamps.com/uploads/SupportPage_Downloads/NT15G2C1_OM_EFGS1.pdf

noyty

The manual is correct. You can plug in either a 16 ohm speaker into the 16 ohm speaker jack, or an 8 ohm speaker into one of the 8 ohm speaker jacks. If you had two 16 ohm speakers, you could plug both into the parallel 8 ohm jacks (two 16 ohm speakers in parallel equals 8 ohms).

You don't want to plug an 8 ohm speaker and a 16 ohm speaker in at the same time. To use the 16 ohm internal speaker with another speaker, the other speaker would need to be 16 ohms and both would have to be plugged into the 1x8 ohm or 2 x16 ohm jack with nothing plugged into the stand alone 16 ohm jack.
Thanks for your reply. So the way I have it set up now with the 16ohm internal and an 8 ohm cab will harm the amp? The output transformer or the tubes?

noyty

Possibly. If you short out the OT, it might take the tubes with it.
Ok. Looks like I'll have to get a 16 ohm rated speaker for my external cab. Bummer, I have two Celestion golds rated 8ohms: EBay or Craigslist they go!

Trending Topics