Vox Night Train vs. Blackheart Handsome Devil

dumbass

What amp do you think is the better choice?
I think I like the Blackheart better - cleans up better with volume knob, and just sounds simply better to me - the night train sounded kinda fizzy if you know what I mean. I only tried it with a tele in a guitar shop though. The night train is more expensive, but looks much cooler IMO and is a little more portable. What do you guys think?

enigma

Silver Supporting Member
I just bought a Vox Night Train and has to be the best little amp I've played; better than the Tiny Terror and absolutely better than Egnater Rebel.

I get so many tones out of it that I'm tempted to get another so I can have both set with different tones (almost use it as if it was a pedal).

Night Train sounds especially good with my 1x12 Two-Rock cab.

Try yours with different cabs. I've tried it w/ my Mesa Recto 2x12 w/ V30's (8 out of 10); Mesa Thiele w/ EVM12L (8.5 out of 10); Egnater 1x12 w C80s (9 out of 10); Fuchs 2x12 w/ Eminence RWB (9.5 out of 10) and the winner, 1x12 Two-Rock!

Also, check out YouTube demo - it shows how to dial in great tones.

Last edited:

RIMRAK

I owned both at the same time. As far as im concerned the vox is waaaaaay better. The blackheart looked cool and seemed very well built,(probably built better than the vox) but as far as tones go no comparison. I dont have either any more, but i will get a used NT sometime soon. I also had the actv4 head at the same time, cool tone, but does not even approach the NT as far as nice vox tones go.

dumbass

I have an AC4 and I love it - it makes everything I throw at it sound fat and good when distorted, and nice when clean. I thought the Night Train sounded somewhat fizzy, it also haves way more gain than I need. I tried it with the vox night train cabinet. It seems to me it is hard to go from good sounding drive to good sounding clean without touching the amp, which I found pretty easy on the Blackheart. Any other amps you guys think I should try?

enigma

Silver Supporting Member
Vox Night Train sounds especially good with my 1x12 Two-Rock!

dumbass

I have an AC4 and I love it - it makes everything I throw at it sound fat and good when distorted, and nice when clean. I thought the Night Train sounded somewhat fizzy, it also haves way more gain than I need. I tried it with the vox night train cabinet. It seems to me it is hard to go from good sounding drive to good sounding clean without touching the amp, which I found pretty easy on the Blackheart. Any other amps you guys think I should try?
Anyone that can comment this?

dumbass

I went to some stores today. No one had the Blackheart in stock, but I got to try the Jet City 20H. Also tried it up against the Vox.. I don't like the Night Train. It just doesn't feel or sound good to me! I liked the Jet City, and I bought it. :)

enigma

Silver Supporting Member
Well, you didn't ask us about Jet City! :) Congrats ~~~ I've heard good things about this little bugger, too.

dumbass

Well I didn't really know about it until I saw it in the store. :)
Satisfied so far. Going to use it at band practice in a few days.

jimmyohio75

Well I didn't really know about it until I saw it in the store. :)
Satisfied so far. Going to use it at band practice in a few days.
I have the Jet City also. It's an unbelievable bargain! Of course there are many here that won't even consider it because of its price point. IMO it's a great amp regardless of price!!! Nice choice!

tonedover

This Is Fine.
Platinum Supporting Member
as an owner of a blackheart 5w im smitten by those amps!!!

i would give serious thought to the blackheart!!

lot of opinions on here going for the nighttrain... wonder how many of 'em have played through both????

you should demo em both!!! (and get the blackheart LOL )

enigma

Silver Supporting Member
I went to GC and tried Egnater Rebel, Night Train and Blackheart. For me, Night Train won out and Blackheart came in second. I would put Tiny Terror above Blackheart. Egnater was not even close.

Waxhead

I went to GC and tried Egnater Rebel, Night Train and Blackheart. For me, Night Train won out and Blackheart came in second. I would put Tiny Terror above Blackheart. Egnater was not even close.
everyone's different on tone - totally subjective.
Many people, including myself, much prefer the Rebel 20 for better tone and versatility to everything you mentioned there. Choice of cab is very important with the Rebel. Get the right cab and it's excellent. Plus it has more clean headroom than the others, particularly on its 6V6 side.

But any single channel amp without a series loop is almost useless to me - that includes the NT, Blackheart and the Terror.

IMO by far the best low wattage amp that none of you guys mentioned though is the Mesa 5:25. Best for many different reasons :cool:

enigma

Silver Supporting Member
I admit Egnater has the best package with effects loop and all . . . . I wish NT had one.

RyanFromQA

I recently enjoyed a Bassman Reissue, a Night Train, a Lonestar 2x12, and a vintage JTM45 at Guitar Center . . . I was in the "champagne room" lol. While out on the floor I also messed around with an AC4 long enough to not like it. In short, the AC4 just lacks dimension.

To me, I thought the Night Train had a fantastic drive tone with the switch set to thick. I played a bit with the settings, but mostly just enjoyed that saturated, bright, crunch-for-days vox tone. The bright setting I thought was WAY thin, and didn't really care for the cleans. This was using a '74 Les Paul on the neck pickup.

So I thought the vox was fantastic (especially in triode mode) for dirty.

I had a BH5, and while it's not the same as the BH15 at all, I will say this, Blackheart cleans are nice. Marshally, if you will.

StudioRat320

The Jet City has become my go to amp for small to medium gigs and recording. Just amazing and sound great with all my guitars. i also noticed how much quieter if was compared to the Egnater, Blackheart and Vox.

i swapped the tubes for JJ power and NOS Brimar in the pre. HUGE difference. sounds like a $2000 amp now. well worth a look

Trending Topics