Vox Night Train with Greenback or Vintage 30?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mims2, Dec 23, 2009.

1. mims2

mims2 Member

I have a Vintage 30 but thinking about getting a Greenback for this amp. What would be the differences clean and dirty and which would be better?

2. mims2

mims2 Member

Thinking of a Warehouse Green Beret if that makes any difference...

3. diminishedlogic

diminishedlogic Member

I tried the Vox NT with an egnator cab and the night train cab.

To my ear the egnator cab with whatever speaker it had in it sounded a lot more alive and full than the night train cab.

Different constructions but I figured i'd give you some input. I'd say try the vintage 30, the night train seems to have a lot of nice bass and treble, but midrangey I would not describe it.

4. samuelson

samuelson Member

I replaced the greenback with a green beret on the advice of a friend and it sounds great. not that the greenback is a bad speaker, as celestion speakers are the industry standard, but in that small little night train speaker cab it seems to sound better.

5. gtTelejoe

gtTelejoe Member

I have a 212 with a Veteran 30 & a Hellatone 60(V30)in it and it sounds great with the NT. I also have a 412 of Greenbacks that I run it through. That is great too.

112's aren't as full sounding so in a 112 cab the difference is way more noticeable. I have 2 open back OS 112's one with a Veteran 30 and the other with a k100. To me lowend is lost as a 112 and you will notice this more with the V30 speakers. The K100 has a bit more lowend but still the brightness of the amp is way more noticeable compared to a 212 or 412. So with 112's its harder to manage the brightness with this amp. I haven't tried a 112 with a GB but I imagine the brightness can still be a problem unless the open back 112 is near a wall. I don't know if a closed back 112 will give enough lowend cause I actually haven't tried it due to not having one.

The bigger the cab the less boxy it sounds too.

6. mims2

mims2 Member

Thanks for the input! I am actually gonna be using an Avatar 1x12 widebody cab. Low end is important to me. Can anyone suggest something that may retain the low in in the 1x12? Maybe from the Eminence line?

7. mims2

mims2 Member

8. gtTelejoe

gtTelejoe Member

Don't worry too much about the low end. The amp only has so much any ways. Its an amp that cuts in a mix and sounds good there. A bass would cover that frequency any ways. There is only so much lowend you can get out of a 112. Get a speaker with a decent frequency range and good efficiency, unless a GB is what you want. I hear blue alnicos sound good too. I think down the road I'll try one in one of my 112 cabs...

I've never tried Eminence speakers so no advice there...

9. nsriley

nsriley Member

I use a Greenback and G12H30 in a large 2x12 with my NightTrain and really like that combo with it.

10. Jef Bardsley

Jef Bardsley Member

I have to agree I'm not pleased with the GB that comes with the Night Train. I haven't compared them side by side, but FWIW, my Green Beret with my C30 makes me happier.

11. GeekG

GeekG Member

i use the same, well instead of a greenback an eminenze legend GB, but this speaker is supposed to sound even better than a real greenback, people on harmonycentral say.

i am thinking about getting a cel blue, because in a 2x12 cab with now for me 80 watt, and driving this cab with 7,5 watt sounds horrible.. i don't know if it is the speakers or the amp but i think it is the amp that sounds horrible.. my marshall vs-65 r sounded better. after i do some modds i will sell it if it doesn'T get better. i tried more than 10 different preamp tubes and 6 pairs of output tubes, always the same tinny sound and no warmness or creamyness to the sound.
    the guitarshop pro videos are a total ripoff it seems, my amp doesn't sound anything like what you hear on this nighttrain video. the cleans are not chimey they are tinny, no sustain, no compression and with gain it gets even more harsh and worse.. maybe my amp has a problem, but i can't compare it to some other nt

12. gtTelejoe

gtTelejoe Member

How you like this?

13. Cirrus

Cirrus Member

Have you tried different valves? I don't like the ones vox sticks in its amps.

14. andrewgreen

andrewgreen Member

don't use an eminence texas heat ... it just sounds weird IMHO.

15. brewbaker

brewbaker Supporting Member

He said plain as day that he'd tried about ten different preamp tubes and numerous power tubes.

16. jackbart1960

jackbart1960 Member

I don't know about bottom end but I put a Weber AlNiCo Blue Dog in a Egnater 1x12 and hit with the Night Train it sounds awesome!!!! Vox rock tone spades!!!! And running into my 2x12 with Egnater branded Celestion Lead 90's and is as loud as ever need be. And sound very full doing it. Not an iconic tone but not bad by a long shot. And as far as valves the only swap I've made(ones that I could afford) that really made it sound any better was to throw a EH 12AX7 in V1, To me gave it a little more of the Voxy chime. I've had mine for a little bit and still digging it after the honeymoon. Peace. J.J.B.