Vox or Vox clone makers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gasp100, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

I made the mistake of checking out yet another amp yesterday, the Vox AC15 (I suppose it's the "cc" model <custom classic>)?
    After an hour with it I was able to pull some pretty sweet tones (sans the lame reverb) from sort of chimey clean to slight breakup (which I really liked on this one) to nice, gritty, dirty. It was loud even at 15 watts. I can't imagine what the 30 watt version can do.
    Anyway, I suppose this doesn't have the vaunted Ef68 (?) tube/channel? I don't really know my Vox stuff, but apparently this is the good stuff for Vox.
    I've seen some decent TGP deals on these and on ebay as well. What concerns me on the cc versions are the hard to reach tubes, questionable reliability, etc... I would assume the HW (hand wired versions) are where it's at but they are pricey and I've only seen them new so far.
    With that being said, anyone making a similar voiced amp off the beaten path for less than $1k (maybe WAY less?). I'm thinking a low wattage head would be pretty sweet. Hayseed maybe?
    Or, are my concerns about reliability with the cc models unfounded? I wish they made an Ac15cc head or similar. I do see there is a hand wired heritage head, but that's $1k new -- too much just to get a different "voice" into the house. Thoughts?

NOTE: I guess it's more than a few comments like this that scare me away from a Vox:
    "on the verge of ordering a hayseed 30 after being disappointed/shocked as i watch my ac30cc2x fall apart..."

2. M I K E D.

M I K E D. Member

how bout a used Top Hat Club Royale- can do the vox sound +

3. Gasp100

Mike, I'm not familiar with the TopHat amps at all. I do see they are high quality and sell used for big cash. Is the Club Royale the only model that does the Vox (and then some) thing? Or is that their main "voicing" through most of their amps?

4. scott1568

scott1568 Member

Winfield amps I think

5. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

Dan Torres makes a British Invasion 15 watt; it's his version of the AC-15. I've heard sound samples and they sound great: www.torresengineering.com

6. M I K E D.

M I K E D. Member

The Top hat Club royale is probably the least expensive of Top Hats voxy options- supreme sixteen has a vox circuit as well i think but it goes for more $$$....

There are plenty of other options out there but I would try a a CR if there is one avalable...I love my 2x12.

but the Hayseed looks like it has made a few folks very happy as well

7. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

I own a Hayseed 30 and am very happy with the tone of the amp - very voxey.

Check with Rob at VAC. I believe he is currently making a Hayseed 15 which may be just what your looking for.

The Tophat Club Royal is also a fine amp and worth looking into. I agree that Tophat amps are expensive, but if you get to see one your know why. The build quality in super.

Hope this helps.

8. meterman

meterman Member

You could find an older TopHat Club Royale for $1000 if you're patient, and they are superb amplifiers (I have three).....

9. pickslide

pickslide Supporting Member

Check out the Brown Note Voxy Brown. www.brownnote.net The sound clips are just awesome.

10. Gasp100

Wow, thanks fellas. Looks like there are a lot of options out there just from these posts alone. That Winny site looks pretty nice and he sounds like a killer player too. I always wondered how people who live in Vermont make enough to actually live there year round (I used to ski up there alot).

11. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

jeebus, greg. . . you's got da itch sooooooooooo bad.

meanwhile, the rottweiler is getting killer vox grind at high volumes (can't be in the room with it though).

i'm wondering if a lower wattage alessandro might be your ticket. . .

just a thought.. . .

still love those gries clips. . ..

12. Crikey

Crikey Member

Sort of depends what you want to do with it. If you are touring and can't guarantee a pampered life to your amp, it's a different story than if you're mostly playing at home or locally and can/will take proper care.

Crikey

13. Gasp100

That's true, I'm not going on tour anytime soon... but still, it sounds like a beyaaaaaaaaaaaatch just to replace a tube (I believe you need to drop the entire chassis?) and I think I've heard reports of tubes going microphonic too quick, tolex issues, etc...
    I have one question - how can they possibly rationalize selling the AC15cc1 vs. the AC15CC1x and you pay $300+ MORE for the x (a vox/alnico blue speaker)??? Give me a break, that's insane.
    I think the AC15 new or an AC30cc (head or maybe even cab) might be in my price range. I can't justify going over for the pricier/new Vox stuff when there are so many sought after companies making amps with these circuits PTP, handwired, etc...
    Well see what happens... my Tiny Terror hasn't even gotten here yet. I'm losing my mind.
    :dude

14. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Supporting Member

Divided by 13 RSA 31 is a real chimey Vox sounding amp. Probably a little more on the watts then you are looking for, but sick none the less

15. 22µf

22µf Member

Check out Gabriel Sound Garage - his VOXER sounds fantastic!

www.gabtone.com