Vox Pathfinder as backup gigging amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by WorkinSteamin, Apr 2, 2015.

1. WorkinSteamin

WorkinSteamin Member

I gig with a Peavey Delta Blues which can easily be run unmic'd at the 100-150 capacity bars we often play. I also own a Vox Pathfinder R and was wondering if this would be an acceptable backup just in case my big tube amp takes a crap in the middle of a gig. These places don't LIKE to mic guitars but would probably do so in a pinch. If not the PF, I'll pick up a Pro Jr. which I'm pretty sure will do the trick un-mic'd even. As you know, they can be had for less than $250.

Our band is moderately loud and plays classic rock covers.

2. WorkinSteamin

WorkinSteamin Member

Surprised no one has chimed in here. There are zillions of VPF15 owners. Aren't some of you using the amp as a backup? Or maybe no one is but I'd be shocked if there wasn't some opinion. Thanks!!

3. petty1818

petty1818 Member

I have used the Pathfinder with my acoustic group and it worked perfectly for that. I think if I was using it with a full band, I would get a second and run them in stereo. They can get pretty loud but IMO there's a sweet spot where they are still clean but just close to breaking up. Unfortunately that level is not all that loud with a drummer. They are so easy to find used now that getting two would make sense.

I got a mint condition Pathfinder a couple of years ago and at one of my acoustic shows, an intoxicated audience member tripped on it while we were loading up our gear and put a nice big rip in the tolex.

4. lareplus

lareplus Member

it should do nicely when mic'd. A friend used a 15R through a Marshall cab with his loud band and it was mic'd and sounded great! Feist and Norah Jones have been known to gig with the Pathfinder.

5. SurfGreenTele

SurfGreenTele Supporting Member

I know Feist uses (or regularly used) a pair of them mic'd.

[​IMG]

6. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Must be mic'd and possibly run through a bigger cab IMO / IME.

7. petty1818

petty1818 Member

That's why I think two Pathfinders would be good. Both Feist and Norah Jones use two live. Getting a bigger cab would definitely help. However, it is only a back up so I am sure that with a mic you could get through a show with just one.

8. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

The tiny speaker will show its shortcomings. In Boost mode, it can work with a tame combo of musicians that know how to listen.
    Running the PF into the cab of the Peavey might be an option if your main amp blows a tube or something.
    The Pro Jr. Is a nice option but you lose lots of clean headroom when pushing for volume.

Crate Power Block is the official answer.

9. LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL Music Room Superstar Supporting Member

Totally dig the PF, and if you can mic it, you're good to go. Bigger cab with bigger speaker(s) helps that amp sound much bigger and a lil bit louder. Either way, I wouldn't want to rely on it without knowing I could be mic'd.
    I've heard the Vox modeling amps live, and they sound really good for what they are.

10. jayn

jayn Member

I've gigged with one as a duo. I also used it for practice with a previous band and for jamming with friends. In those situations the volume is under control, but I also don't have it up too loud. I've taken it as a backup on out of town gigs, so I assumed it would work.