vox pathfiner , good recomendation thanks

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rouss, Feb 19, 2012.

1. rouss

rouss Member

Just got it yestersday. I honestly think its the warmest sounding SS amp I ever had. It kills the peavy vyper and fender FM I used to own. Clean channel is beautifull and loud and the gain is great . Its the only SS amp that I ever had that can do mild breakup well. It actually sound good distored(not digital sounding). Its even a lil sesitive to pick attack The only downside is the reverb kind of sucks . Awesome bang for my buck
    :rotflmao

2. wreckfan

wreckfan Member

Glad your happy with it . Friend and fellow guitar player uses 2 Pathfinder heads with a pair of 4X8 matching cabinets and gets some great sounds out of that setup.....plus its loud enough to play out with !!

3. rouss

rouss Member

I have been curious about a 4X8 cabinet . Its not to common. where did you find yours?

4. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

Just grabbed a Pathfinder 15r yesterday. It is super sweet little amp. Really just blows the mind all the big beautiful clean tone coming out of this thing. I am not a big fan of the onboard dirt. Not a dealbreaker at all. The trem is pretty good too. I only need a little verb and this does it just great.

5. bbutler123

bbutler123 Member

Agree on Pathfinder. I love the thing. When I run it into a 1x12 or more, it's big. But the speaker in it (the Bulldog) is GREAT if you don't compare it to a bigger speaker.

6. GtrDr

GtrDr Member

When a parent comes in to buy Jr his first guitar and amp, I like to recommend Vox amps. Of all the modeling stuff, they sound the best. I see very few come back for repairs. It also gives a young player some effects to play with. As their playing advances & they start making some money, they'll have a good idea of what they want from personal experience & not playing music store Roulette. and they'll still have a good practice amp.

7. rouss

rouss Member

This pathfinder sounds much better than the blues jr I used to have. I sold the junior because it just sounded conjested and nasaly. When I get a tube amp again im deffinantly going to consider the vox ac15 . If it just sounds a lil beter than the pathfinder Its worth it

8. Andy J.

Andy J. Member

A question: pretty much everyone that raves about the Pathfinder mentions having the 15R, despite pretty much everyone's comments that the reverb in those is less-than-stellar. Isn't the 15R the same amp as the 15, just with added reverb and why isn't anyone buying those, the sans-reverb versions?

9. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

Yeah, by far the best solid state amp I've ever owned or played... though, those old Polytones sound cool too for very different uses than the 15R.

I've never played a Pathfinder 15 mainly because I don't ever recall seeing them out there in shops. The 15R version is much more readily available. But, yeah, I could live without the reverb & certainly without the gain. But, given that you get all that for just over 100 USD (new!), it seems sort of of unfair to be very critical.;)

10. walkers

walkers Member

I picked up a 15r last week with an online coupon...one of the best $99 I've ever spent. I had a practice last night and didn't want to take out the Morgan so I took the pathfinder and mic'ed it in the house with an SM57...same pedalboard settings as usual and I was pleasantly surprised - it sounded great! No Morgan, but good enough for a quick practice!

11. I-IV-V

I-IV-V Member

I got one 10 years ago (still have it) and the reverb version wasn't out then. I didn't now the non-reverb version was still available.

12. Andy J.

Andy J. Member

Ah, makes sense: hadn't considered the availability thing at all... Thanks guys!

13. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

The more I play it the more I like it. :)

Vox really does good work.

14. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

It's a great little amp; has been raved about on TGP (and pretty much everywhere else) for many years. I've had mine for probably 10 years. Don't play it much these days since I have a soundproof room, but it was great when I needed a really low volume solution. And it sounds great cranked up a bit too! Just an all around fantastic value.

15. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

Given it's popularity, it seems crazy that Vox have never made a higher wattage version with a bigger speaker.