Vox Practice Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by aman74, Sep 16, 2005.

1. aman74

aman74 Supporting Member

Interested in the Pathfinders, Deacy and the VR15 or 30.

How new is the VR series? It uses a 12ax7 in the output stage like the valvetronix series and a "virtual OT". I'm wondering if that's mostly just marketing.

What type and amounts of gain on all these amps? And can they handle pedals well? Or even be boosted with a SHO that I have. I know it won't boost like a tube amp would, but since you can goose other solid state pedals I wonder if this would be similar or if the front ends on these little practice amps give out under pressure.

Other amps I'm considering are the Tech 21 TM10 and maybe a Peavey Transtube, but I would need a speaker out to run to a Detuned cab at times as well.

I've played the Tech21 and found it pretty nice, but would appreciate any thoughts on it especially concerning it's handling of pedals and it's effects loop.

Thanks!

2. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Happy Pathfinder 15R user here. Great, simple, but feature-rich little amp. Sounds great. Thing is amazingly responsive and takes a lot of pedals very well.

3. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

+1 .... well my son is anyway

4. Ryan

Ryan Member

I had a Cambridge 15 for a long time...loved it!

5. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

Another vote for the Pathfinder 15R. GREAT little amp at a dirt cheap price.

:)

Chuck

6. chago04

chago04 Guest

If you can, head over to a local GC (I know, a sin), and see if they have any mini-stacks left of the pathfinder. It's really sweet, and loud enough for small gigs. It's a pathfinder 15 head with a 4x8 cab. Cool looking set up as well.

7. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I've got the vox ad30vt the best two hundred bucks I've ever spent on gear. tons of usable tones. It should be noted that I haven't had a single coil axe since I got the vox. It has several great distorted tones: boutique od, us gain=soldano, modern gain=mesa, 70s marshall, etc.

8. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

+1 . Got a used 15R off the bay for $80 based on a post of Leon's awhile back , nice being able to footswitch it too . Doesn't have tubes , but " flip on & play" is nice to have around . Bang for the buck solid state sleeper . Thanks Leon :AOK

9. aman74

aman74 Supporting Member

Thanks for the help guys.

I saw a post about those Pathfinder stacks, but didn't see them on the Vox website and from the comment hear sounds as if they are discontinued?

GC around here doesn't seem to carry much Vox. I'll have to try Sam Ash on the other side of town.

Sounds like a great bang for the buck.

Thanks

Anthony

10. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I nabbed one of the mini-stacks a couple months ago, they're getting harder to find. I had my GC look up in their system and found one in New York that they could ship to Mpls. Well worth it.

A Pathfinder 15R head into a 4x8" cab. The kicker is the cab is loaded with little Celestions :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. aman74

aman74 Supporting Member

Thanks, your's is the post I saw. May I ask how much? That's pretty slick.

12. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Yeah, it was $249. Kind of a lot for a Pathfinder, but I just fell in love with the look and sound. You could really get the same effect just buying a regular Pathfinder and using the speaker out to run into your own favorite cab. My GC had a perfect used Pathfinder 15R for $79 when I ordered this.

13. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

If those 8's are the same "flavor" (magnet weight/type) that are on the 2 Vox/Cele 10's I got from Avatar when he had the batch of Celestion "warehouse buyouts" , they're killer inexpensive speakers . I wish Vox grillcloth wasn't priced like it was NASA teflon or somethin .

14. chago04

chago04 Guest

Someone on tdpri got one in a closeout a few days ago for 210$, so if you find one haggle them down on price, but I love mine.