Vox sounding pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 62Tele, Sep 18, 2008.

1. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

I'm pretty much a blackface guy, but once in awhile I'd like a little AC30 tone in the mix. I know, not the same as a set of el84's giving it up, but I don't want to carry two amps. So what do people like in the AC30 voiced pedals - Sans Amp Liverpool, Carl Martin ACtone, etc?

Thanks!

PS - If you could tell me what amp you're running your fav through it would help.

2. M Hossa

M Hossa Member

3. Steven

Steven Member

Wampler Pedals makes a now Voxy pedal - there are some videos on his site. Sounds very very good IMHO.

4. paraedolia

paraedolia Member

There's also the VStack Tweedy right?

5. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

I've got the Indyguitarist CrankedAC on the way. Hopefully will be here next week.
    I'm using a Super Rever RI at the moment.

Out of curiosity, why do you not want to hear about the Carl Martin AC-Tone or the Liverpool? Both of those have gotten good reviews.

6. Phil M

Phil M Member

The Menatone Top Boost in a Can really does a great job of adding that flavor to an amp.

7. dsl

dsl Member

8. carltonh

carltonh Member

9. dsl

dsl Member

The Janglebox is great but it's a compressor - perfect for the Roger
    McGuinn/Byrds sound but not quite a "Vox In A Box".

Although, I could be wrong...:huh

10. TheFlash

TheFlash Member

I play a Menatone top boost in a can into a fender PRRI and it's a stunningly good combo for an ac30 vibe using a fender amp.

11. charless

charless Member

The OCD on HP setting sounds very Voxish ... thats what I use.

12. rollo greb

rollo greb Member

The OLC english channel looks interesting, though I haven't tried it. They even offer kits for those interested in building.

13. GTRICH

GTRICH Member

I got a Vox Over the Top Boost to play into my marshall styled head (vht pittbull). I am using it mainly for it's jangly clean tone with it's gain/dirt all the way down.

It breaks up real raunchy by itself when you crank the dirt/gain, but breaks up SUPERBLY when driven by an Eternity or a boost. It also gets real ugly (perhaps in a good way) when running into a dirt channel or another distortion box.

All things aside, it is my GO TO pedal for clean sounds. My Pittbull and Orange Rocker 30 cannot do the clean without this pedal. When driven by an Eternity, it is my goto sound for light to medium gain applications (think Larry Carlton).

I bought a B stock from MF for $99, and it is one of my favorite pedals-especially because it has a cool blue light emanating from it.

14. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

15. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

Top Boost in a Can!!!!Awsome!

16. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

Ι also have it and agree completely. It can function as a great tube boost or you can add its own gain if you like. I got it for Vox sounds in the first place, but I am not always after them, and it doesn't disappoint.

I use it as a dirt pedal with its own gain around 1 o'clock, slightly boosted from a compressor (or I turn the comp off when I want to take advantage of the nice dynamics that it allows). It also respects the original tone of your guitar, and you get hugely different sounds with single coils and humbuckers. Its only drawback is that sometimes I think it's TOO fat...