Vox speaker suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gasp100, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I have a nice Avatar 2x12 loaded with Celestion Lead 80's (which I really like) but there is not quite enough shimmer/sparkle/chime for my Vox style amp(s). I think used Blues are going to be too expensive, even new Red Fangs are pretty pricey (and I can't find any used ones right now). What other speakers should I be looking for that have that high quality chime that pairs perfectly with a Vox amp? I need 2 - 16ohm speakers that can handle at least 15 loud watts, preferably at least 30+ watts handling or more. I'd like to keep the total cost for a pair below $300 (the less I spend, the better - this is for amp setup #2).

2. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

Weber Alnico Blue Dogs are great speakers, and will get you where you want to be.
    They're $200 each, but that beats $280-$300 for Celetion Blues.

3. djinn1973

djinn1973 Member

After listening to the samples on this page, I am partial to the Texas Heats. Have a listen and see what you think.

4. oldhousescott

oldhousescott Silver Supporting Member

+1 on the Weber's, and actually the ceramic magnet version of the Blue Dog is only $100. A pair is well within your budget.

Another option is the Warehouse Speakers Black and Blue. At $160 each, they're only slightly outside your budget.

5. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Third me to Weber. One suggestion is the Fane clones from Weber for a more detailed sound. These ceramic ones also are $100 - most times of the year. I know I shouldn't push for Weber more than I already have, but they're having a 10% discount on the aforementioned price this month, so ceramic Webers go for a bargain $90 each (no pre-Rola) right now.

6. Gasp100

Well, considering I have no idea what pre-Rola means, they do pique my interest at that price. So, even without being Alnico the ceramic Weber Blue Dog's might be the ticket?
    I've had the Texas Heat in another amp, it was pretty nice but not really what I want in this context.
    Thanks all!

7. Gasp100

Any opinions on mixing a Weber Blue Dog ceramic with a Blue Dog Alnico? If the Blue Dog ceramics can make my Vox amp sound sweet and chimey, I'll just pull the trigger. But, I might be able to budget one Alnico and one ceramic.
    Thoughts?

8. The Smith

The Smith Supporting Member

I have a ceramic Blue Dog. I remember reading another thread last year on a comparison between the alnico and ceramic. Some forumite did a double-blind test and found that he prefered the ceramic. It's definately a sweet, chimey, aggressive speaker. I believe the Alnico breaks up more at very loud volumes.

9. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

I would get a 30Watt Weber Alnico Blue dog and a 30Watt Weber ceramic Sliver Bell. The 2 speakers are suppose to match well together.

Celestion G12H30's mix well with Alnico blue type speakers too

10. earthlydescent

earthlydescent Senior Member

greenbacks. <------that means period

best speaker ever

11. Gasp100

Sorry to beat a dead horse
    :horse
    But anyone have an opinion on the Scumback H (or M) 75 HP's? I actually just sold an 8ohm H75 30 watt speaker which did sound nice with Voxish amps (even better with Marshall's though). I see someone has a few in the Emporium (the HP versions). These are ceramic but pretty high quality.
    I'm just trying to determine if Alnico is an absolute MUST to get the chimey top end with forward midrange and crang when pushed.
    Right now 2 ceramic Blue Dogs or 1 ceramic Blue Dog, 1 ceramic Silver Bell are at the top of the list.
    Why am I not considering all Alnico? Because with the AxeFX in house I'm not sure I want to dump much more cash into an existing tube amp setup.

12. TheLemon

TheLemon Senior Member

I think for that chimey keranging vox sound your going to need at least one alnico speaker
    I would mix an ALNiCO Weber blue and maybe a Celestion G12H30 for the tight low end
    I have the weber blue and loveee it in my AC15

13. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

I'd recommend getting 1 Scumnico. I'm really into the Blue/G12H30 mix and the Scumnico gets a similar magic all by itself. (You can get a 65 watt model that will easily handle your Vox). Just leave the other speaker hole empty - it'll make it lighter and you'll come in under $300.

:)

14. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Ok, now that's thinking outside the box, zoooombiex. Lighter, plus the power handling is there and it's under his budget of $300, too. Huh...why didn't I think of that?

:banana

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  15. zenfreud

zenfreud Member

Yeah, it's cool that it'd be lighter, but I'd personally be disappointed with the sound & presence of a single 12 if I was used to two 12's. There's something about having additional cone radiating area, even at lower levels.

And I'd also be cautious about mixing two different woofers, it can be tricky finding a good match. I had a Weber Alnico Silver Bell and another one of their speakers and the combo didn't work for me. (I don't remember which model the other Weber was, it's been some time, but it was a recommended match on the boards). One was noticeably more efficient and brighter than the other, sounded especially weird when I had modulation going on. I like to dial in an amp's controls to complement the speaker and it's harder to do that when your two speakers exhibit different response curves.

I'd recommend that the OP stick with two matching alnico 12s, Blues or similar.

16. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

Yeah, I did a lot of mix & matching and not all combinations work out. If the OP does go down a 2 speaker mix route, I'd recommend a Blue & G12H30 (or analogous speakers by other manufacturers such as Weber). It's a classic mix and the speakers complement each other very well.

17. Heartbreaker

Heartbreaker Member

Anybody tried 2 Red Fangs with this setup?