Vox style amps. What all is out there?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by marvelboy_04, Feb 6, 2012.

1. marvelboy_04

marvelboy_04 Member

Ok, well I had switched out from 2 different vox style amps (top hat club royale and DAG15) to a Maz 18, wanting something a bit different and less glassy, and of course now I realize that the Vox sound is my favorite sound, and while the maz can get something like a Vox since its el84, its too much in the fender camp for my tastes.
    What all is out there for vox style amps?
    I know of top hat, morgan, valvetech, xits etc. Id love something multi channeled, with one being more just pure chiming clean, to in between, and the other that vox about to explode sound.

2. joe_k

joe_k Member

matchless. check them all out.

3. AcornHouse

AcornHouse Member

Hey, here's a radical thought: how bout a Vox?

4. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

Vox Handwired is what you want. You just described the two tones available, and the normal channel is just perfect, not too trebly, just right. The Top Boost is pure lift off.

5. JamminJoe

JamminJoe Member

Have you tried a Vox? I've had all 3 of those amps and while they sound good, none have a true Vox sound like Vox does.

6. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

I have a British made AC15tbx with Celestion blue for sale. Great Voxy tones plus it won't totally break the bank like the boutiques.

7. Gretsch&Vox

Gretsch&Vox Member

Since, you want the VOX sound, then check out the VOX tube amps. Why go to a different amp for the VOX sound? I have an AC15HW1(X) that I love.

8. Anchorage42

Anchorage42 Member

Second vote in for Matchless. Love what it does

9. gtraddict

gtraddict Member

I would say a Vox with a Blue Back in it

10. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

Besides my Hayseed, the other most "Vox" sounding amp I've ever owned was a Winfield Cyclone. Basically a 15wt AC30. I say that because it's more voiced like an AC30 rather than an AC15. Check them out if you get a chance.

11. ger

ger Supporting Member

12. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Vintage... OK, but they have their issues and of course *cost*. If you want a new Vox, then most likely it will be a model where production cost is more important than tone. Since there's many people that wish to avoid such an amp - there's the boutique market.

Although not dead on Vox, the Club Royale and King Royale from TopHat are incredible and are both inspired by Vox - better than any Vox I've heard (personally).

13. Chas

Chas Member

Go to the web page for Vox. They have plenty going on. The Bruno Amps I have to hear at gigging volume. I just snatched up a AC15 C1 (the new one with top boost and a master volume). The amp is a crunch machine. Very early breakup in this one but when you find that spot with the deep chrunch, then some swirl, and overtones galore. Then lastly you hear the bell like chime. IMO Vox>Marshall no trolling intended love them both.

14. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

Ummmmm, I have heard the Top Hat amps and they are very fine, but not a Vox. The new Handwireds are very good and very Vox. Period................, money is not the issue on the HWs, take a listen at full tilt with drums and you will like it.

15. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Guess you didn't see the "not dead on vox" and "vox inspired" in my post, huh? :aok

Ummmm, those two amps are *most certainly* based on the Vox AC30 Top boost. They're tweaked/voiced with the builder's signature sounds, but *very* vox *like* in circuit and sound.

And I'm not saying any particular amp that Vox put's out isn't any good, but when you move production from England to asia, there's a reason... it's because cost is *more* of a consideration than quality/tone.

16. Dale

Dale Member

Or lower cost with no loss in quality.

17. JamminJoe

JamminJoe Member

If you're looking for Vox tone, Vox-like doesn't cut it. I've had the Top Hat CR - nice amp but does not take pedals well, unlike a Vox.

18. scmavl

scmavl Enjoyer Silver Supporting Member

Matchless/BadCat are very chimey and Vox-like. I also hear the Gabriel amps are quite good.

19. Onioner

Onioner Member

Meh, Vox never did a great job capturing that Vox tone. Seriously. Others (Matchless, Morgan, etc.) have done it much better.

20. Gretsch&Vox

Gretsch&Vox Member

I disagree. I've had the British VOX amps and the Asian VOX amps sound every bit as good, if not better, than the British ones.