VOX Super Berkeley Reverb (All Tube)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Nickcha, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Nickcha

Nickcha Member

I just won an auction for this VOX Berkeley Super Reverb. It's the first run all tube model. I think (?) they came out in '65 or '66, and were replaced by the S.S. Berkeley II. Anyway, I've heard 2 of these tube models and both just rocked. I haven't received the amp yet but the seller did play it for me and the reverb and vibrato both work excellently. The amp looks like it just came off the showroom floor and has obviously seen light duty.

Does anyone have any experience with these or have any history on them? What speaker impediance do they need to see? Selectable?

I have a pair of '64 VOX Alnicos I'll use the amp with.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

2. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Cool. Those were made by Thomas Organ in the US wernt they?

Hows Clearwater?

3. Nickcha

Nickcha Member

Yes, these were among the first issued by Thomas/VOX.

Clearwater is very nice as always.

4. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I'll be curious to know what she sounds like. If its like the rest of your stuff it will be great.

Ben hankering for one of those Gretsch Guitars ever since I played yours. What model ddo you have?

Still building the Diffusers? I might need one with the recent purchases. I'm trying to figure out how to crank a couple of 100 watt Marshall just outside my Studio Walls and record without killing everyone nearby.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

juuuuuuust awesome... :cool: :dude

OT: i saw Paul Westerberg on his "14 Songs" tour, and he had a trapie shaped vox head.

was KNOCKED OUT by his tone. freakin' unreal how thick, meaty, chewy the overdrive was. like vox meets hiwatt meets porterhouse steak tone.

still haunts me today.

6. Nickcha

Nickcha Member

I'm selling one of the Amp Shields I had a TF this year.

7. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

8. 57special

57special Member

I had a Tube Berkeley Reverb combo, which is the same chassis. Very nice amp, lots of highs, very clear sounding and has that sweet, "toney" el84 distorted sound. Seem to remember it went to "6", which as we all know, is 4 less than 10.
    They used to be undervalued, but seem to be going for a lot these days.

9. fatback

fatback Member

Congradulations on the amp!

I found this little guy off craigslist.org last week...

[​IMG]

It's an early, (2 el84) '66 Cambridge Reverb, sort of the combo sibling to your Berkerely Reverb.;)

I'm not sure about yours, but my Cambridge has an 8ohm Oxford and a second 8ohm speaker out. I'm throwing an old Weber Blue Dog in mine so I don't thrash the original speaker.

Cool amps. Pull out a tele or P-90 guitar, crank it up to 5 1/2 - 6 and let the fun begin:D

10. Shea

Shea Member

What, you mean you didn't play the one that was at Tone Fest 2003? One of our guests from the Space Coast brought one over.

I only heard that one for about 10 seconds, but I've also had the pleasure of working on another one that a friend in St. Pete has. I really like that amp. The circuit has some Fender influence in it, but it breaks up like an EL84 amp does and the bass doesn't get flubby. The reverb is beyond lush -- you can get some crazy over-the-top reverb tones from that amp.

I recommend that you use the speaker jack that is on the back of the chassis, rather than the one that's mounted on the box. The one on the box is connected via a cable to an RCA jack that is on the underside of the chassis. The RCA plug on that cable can wiggle loose and fall out, so you'll lose the speaker connection and there will be no load on the output tranny. That's bad news.

Shea

11. Nickcha

Nickcha Member

12. Nickcha

Nickcha Member

Shea,

Good to hear from you! Yes indeed, I remember the one from TF'03. I was blown away by it. That's pretty much why I bought this one.

13. Shea

Shea Member

IIRC, input 3 is a tad hotter than input 2, which is a tad hotter than input 1.

Shea

14. Nickcha

Nickcha Member

Shea,

I only see 2 inputs...

[​IMG]

15. Shea

Shea Member

The third one is on the back panel, far left. You can almost read "input __" in that photo.

BTW, congratulations, you Vox fiend you!

Shea

16. Nickcha

Nickcha Member

Thanks. Cool, a 3rd input! Do you have any idea as to how I could get it to drive a 16ohm load? Or should I not worry about it and just run 16ohm cabs off the 8ohm out?

17. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

The least invasive thing to do is run an impedance matcher between amp and cab:
    https://weberspeakerscom.secure.powweb.com/store/zmatch.htm

18. Nickcha

Nickcha Member

19. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

That is the million dollar question! I'm not sure. Anyone??

20. Nickcha

Nickcha Member

Hey, that Z-Matcher is a really nice looking unit. If it does a good job w/o forcing any unwanted tone on the cab, it could be a very useful tool.