Vox takes its QC up a notch on the new AC15CC

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wordsonyou, Dec 30, 2005.

1. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

For those QC oriented people I thought I would post some pics of the new ac15CC innards for your amusement. I have to say that I am pretty happy with the build quality of the amp at the price point, the thickness of the chassis and pcb, the ruggedness of the hardware including screws and bolts, and the quality of cabinetry. Still not happy with the verb :( but as you can see from the pics they ain't using the highest quality tank. I have now installed a Vox blue to try it for a few days - my initial reaction was that the wharfedale sounded more suited to the amp but thought I'd let the blue break in a while before I get picky. BTW What a nice touch imho that none of the tube sockets are pcb mounted...kudos to Vox. Any of the brightness concens I had are now over - once I changed the preamp tubes to JJ's instead of the Chinese loaded ones, the bottom opened up even more and the top end sounded rounder. It is sounding grand.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. pyt

pyt Member

Thanks for posting this. I was wondering if these were built as well as the new AC30s. I wish the pots weren't mounted to a PCB, though. But, again, the price is good. And it's good to hear the tone improves with better preamp tubes.

3. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

I hear you on the pots but I think if they were to handwire those you could add 300 bucks to the price point. Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't vox been pcb mounting pots even on the Korg UK ones? It is good to see all the tubes not pcb mounted though.

4. ZiggY!!

ZiggY!! Member

whats going on with the reverb tank? why is it red to white and white to red?

I'd hate to lose a tube on stage...

5. v-verb

v-verb Supporting Member

Hmm...where did you get that inspired idea from...

Glad it worked out!

Familiar looking Blue!

6. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

That is because they are actually mislabelled:jo...not really a big deal..thanks for the heads up though.

7. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

Yes Nigel, you are a genius!!:NUTS LOL. Thanks for the tip though. I believe this amp would pass the Nigel taste test.

8. v-verb

v-verb Supporting Member

Thanks for the emoticon - not sure how to take it tho:FM

9. v-verb

v-verb Supporting Member

10. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

i still can't get passed the plastic switches and input jacks ... they make the amp look so cheesy.

11. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

Take it as the joke it was intended to be :BEER

12. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

They don't bother me but I wouldn't mind either if they kept the switchcraft switches on there...but ultimately no biggie for me - I could always switch them later if they fail or something.

13. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

14. 6ringing

6ringing Member

What are the cabs made of on these babys? Birch ply?

These look pretty interesting to me (esp. in fawn! Yow!), but I usually build me own amps and know what I like and don't. With only 2 preamp tubes, it was obvious that there was some ss business going on. Yep, I counted 3 transistors at a quick glance. All that stuff sucks some tone out of it, I'd rather they left out the reverb and trem. But this looks like a good candidate to gut and put in some nice p-t-p action.

Thanks for the pics!

15. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

THAT is the way to make a PCB amp. That looks like it will last for a long time.

I'm actually proud of VOX for the way that Mitch C. and Steve G. have handled this transition to the new factory.

Good work guys! If you're reading this.

EP (VCon)

16. ahermida

ahermida Member

A word of caution: I ordered the AC15 and it sounded good right out of the box. I decided to change the tubes - one of them came out with a little bit of work and I noticed that it was a Tung-Sol....I thought to myself..."yikes! (for reasons you'll read below)". When I tried to take the other preamp tube out I actually pulled out the socket with the tube still in it!. I've had many bad experiences with Tung-Sol tubes - they tend to fit too tight in the socket. Even when I replaced the socket, it was NOT easy to take the tube out of the original socket...this time I was using both hands! I had to insert a flat screwdriver between the socket and the tube base to get it out. I actually don't blame the amp.

***The problem is the size of the Tung-Sol tubes***

Once I replaced the socket (piece of cake to do...I left the other one stock) I was able to replace tubes easily. I tried a pair of Mullards (nice fat tone) and a pair of 12AX7-EH (well balanced tone). Still more testing to go but the amp is very nice.

Alf

17. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

hey alf, headroom wise what amp has more? the ac15cc, or the drri?
    thanx aldo.....

18. Pete Faragher

Pete Faragher Gold Supporting Member

Okay....I'm lost....how did we get from AC15 to some tart. Looks like a REALLY good singer to me. All the right stuff to be remembered for her musical prowess.
    Also she's with Sony. A very clever distraction so you won't notice the spyware being loaded on your computer from her CD.:Devil

19. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

I do believe it is birchply. Yep the verb and trem are SS no doubt bout that but the rest of that is tube action. Would have preferred tube driven verb and trem but wouldn't extra tubes for effects also suck tone away?

20. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

I did not have this issue and have been cycling tube after tube in and out, but I must say the tung sols were a tight fit indeed. Interestingly only the PI was tung sol on mine, the v1 was a no name chinese tube.