Vox to Morgan back to Vox?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by blake480, Feb 21, 2012.

1. blake480

blake480 Member

Has anyone ever done this, and why?

I've been playing a UK made Vox AC30tbx for over 8 years now. It is kind of my sound. My only complaints about the amp is the weight, and the fact i need to use a thd hotplate with it, and that it has needed constant service over the years. Other than that i have loved it.

I just got my first Morgan AC20 deluxe yesterday. I'm still waiting on the cab, so i haven't had a chance to A/B them yet. But the Morgan just seems so versatile, and built like a tank. I have only heard great thing about them.

I really hope the Morgan works out for me, because it seems like it is everything I have wanted my AC30 to be. I guess i'm just a little worried i will miss the fullness of 2x12's, and miss the extra head room when I'm jamming with my loud drummer :)

But i sure hope not. Can't wait to get this thing plugged in.

2. kmcw

kmcw Member

I have the deluxe head and 1X12 and have never missed my Vox ac30 2x12. Joe's cabs sound huge to me. Also you could always get a 2x12 later if you really need one.

3. Cody Anchor

Cody Anchor Member

My experience was the same.

4. SKYHIGH

SKYHIGH Member

Did you not think about getting the AC40 Deluxe instead of 20 if you are worried about the headroom? AC40 Deluxe also has power scaling to lower if it needs to be.

5. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

Dual 40 is the way to go

6. blake480

blake480 Member

I have considered going that route if the AC20 breaks up too soon. I actually like my main "clean" tone to have a little break up in it. So it might be perfect.

7. MasterEvan07

MasterEvan07 Supporting Member

Yeah, that's what I like about the 5E3 is that little bit of dirt pretty much from the word go...but I have been wavering about whether to go with a more headroom approach or not on a Morgan though I probably don't need it.

...then again, better to have and not need than need and not have...

...then again...several hundred more dollars...

8. spaceman_spiff

spaceman_spiff Supporting Member

Yeah, what the others have said....you won't miss the "bigness" sound of the 2-12s too much as the Morgan 1-12 cab is fairly "oversized". I had the Morgan 1-12 and AC30/6TB 2-12 at the same time, there's only a little bit more "bigness" with the Vox -- and it's quickly forgotten with the massive reduction in weight/ease of transport.