Vox Tone Lab SE... Thoughts??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jazzygeoff, Dec 3, 2005.

1. jazzygeoff

jazzygeoff Member

I heard a local jazz rock guy at a gig play one of these into a Tube Works Mosvalve power amp which drove 2 Rocktron 1 x 12 guitar wedges. I really thought the tone was nice and smooth and really bang on realistic in a 'Jeff Beck Blow by Blow' way.

I've done a forum search and didn't really come up with a lot of info on this unit. I Read the usual reviews at H-C etc. Bit of background I had bought a Line 6 Pod XT Pro but returned it since I couldn't get any better sound out of it than what I was getting out of my old school Yamaha DG-Stomp.

So really how does the Vox Tone stack up? I'd like to use it in a live setting most likely with a 1x12 cab with a Electro Voice EVM12L powered possibly by a VHT 2-50-2 or a Tube works Mosvalve.

Thoughts?

2. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

3. Porkchop Xpress

Porkchop Xpress Member

4. journo

journo Member

Hi,

Thoughts?
    Keep your DG-Stomp or dwelve beyond the factory presets on a Boss GT-8. There is a amp model called Warm Clean that gives just wonderfully dynamic overdrive when cranked. Great cleans of course and effects beyond what you really need.

Cheers,

Mats N

5. jazzygeoff

jazzygeoff Member

Ok I just linked to that and read a few things. Now if I didn't get the instant satisfaction that I wanted from the POD XT Pro ... will the Tonelab SE get me that instant satisfaction? Or close? I'm basically looking for a clean verb with a light chorus and a medium crunch with soft verb/delay that can be whacked to OD land and a then a louder version of that. Volume pedal would be nice to do Volume swells etc. Wah is nice but it doesn't matter if it is from the unit or not. I really dig my Budda wah anyways and I am sure I can put it in front of the unit if needed.

Thanks in advance,

G

6. jazzygeoff

jazzygeoff Member

7. journo

journo Member

Hi Geoff,

At the risk of sounding boring. Try the Warm Clean in the Boss GT-8 and I think you'll be happy. I had exactly the same requirements and the GS-10 or GT-8 definitely gives me what I want. The GT-8 has a pedal that you can use for anything so volume is no problem. It has a couple of wah models too and a few of them sound really good. I prefer the wah model to any of my real wahs (1986 modded CryBaby, Dunlop stock CryBaby, Vox reissue).

It's a Boss so nice chorus, delay and reverb is there without doubt. As are a number of other effects. Two I particularly like is the Tone Modify (TM) effect. This takes you basic tone and changes it in different ways. I really like to use the H -> Hollow to make my PRS McCarty sound like a hollowbody. In a solo context it really doesn't fool anyone but in a band it is remarkably effektive. The Fat algorithm of the TM or the S -> HB give a bridge single coil more mids and general fatness. My Suhr Classic bridge sc and TM on Fat gives a quality reminicent of a nice P-90.

If you want to use your modeller primarily live I recommend the GT-8. If you're mainly interested in a unit for recordning then I suggest the GS-10. I have tried both very much and choose the GS-10.

Everything I've posted in the Sound Clips section (quite a lot) was recorded with the GS-10 in case you want to hear it in real use.

Cheers,

Mats N

8. Kewlpack

Kewlpack Member

9. jazzygeoff

jazzygeoff Member

Thanks Mats, I was sort of puzzled why you were pimping the Boss when I had asked about the Vox, I have checked it out online and am now going to check out the GT-8 as well. Thanks for the reccomendation.

What do you use your GT-8 with live? Do you DI into the board or use a power amp / cabinet combo?