1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Vox Tone Lab SE... Thoughts??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jazzygeoff, Dec 3, 2005.

1. jazzygeoff

jazzygeoff Member

I heard a local jazz rock guy at a gig play one of these into a Tube Works Mosvalve power amp which drove 2 Rocktron 1 x 12 guitar wedges. I really thought the tone was nice and smooth and really bang on realistic in a 'Jeff Beck Blow by Blow' way.

I've done a forum search and didn't really come up with a lot of info on this unit. I Read the usual reviews at H-C etc. Bit of background I had bought a Line 6 Pod XT Pro but returned it since I couldn't get any better sound out of it than what I was getting out of my old school Yamaha DG-Stomp.

So really how does the Vox Tone stack up? I'd like to use it in a live setting most likely with a 1x12 cab with a Electro Voice EVM12L powered possibly by a VHT 2-50-2 or a Tube works Mosvalve.

Thoughts?

2. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Administrator Staff Member

3. Porkchop Xpress

Porkchop Xpress Member

4. journo

journo Member

Hi,

Thoughts?
    Keep your DG-Stomp or dwelve beyond the factory presets on a Boss GT-8. There is a amp model called Warm Clean that gives just wonderfully dynamic overdrive when cranked. Great cleans of course and effects beyond what you really need.

Cheers,

Mats N

5. jazzygeoff

jazzygeoff Member

Ok I just linked to that and read a few things. Now if I didn't get the instant satisfaction that I wanted from the POD XT Pro ... will the Tonelab SE get me that instant satisfaction? Or close? I'm basically looking for a clean verb with a light chorus and a medium crunch with soft verb/delay that can be whacked to OD land and a then a louder version of that. Volume pedal would be nice to do Volume swells etc. Wah is nice but it doesn't matter if it is from the unit or not. I really dig my Budda wah anyways and I am sure I can put it in front of the unit if needed.

Thanks in advance,

G

6. jazzygeoff

jazzygeoff Member

7. journo

journo Member

Hi Geoff,

At the risk of sounding boring. Try the Warm Clean in the Boss GT-8 and I think you'll be happy. I had exactly the same requirements and the GS-10 or GT-8 definitely gives me what I want. The GT-8 has a pedal that you can use for anything so volume is no problem. It has a couple of wah models too and a few of them sound really good. I prefer the wah model to any of my real wahs (1986 modded CryBaby, Dunlop stock CryBaby, Vox reissue).

It's a Boss so nice chorus, delay and reverb is there without doubt. As are a number of other effects. Two I particularly like is the Tone Modify (TM) effect. This takes you basic tone and changes it in different ways. I really like to use the H -> Hollow to make my PRS McCarty sound like a hollowbody. In a solo context it really doesn't fool anyone but in a band it is remarkably effektive. The Fat algorithm of the TM or the S -> HB give a bridge single coil more mids and general fatness. My Suhr Classic bridge sc and TM on Fat gives a quality reminicent of a nice P-90.

If you want to use your modeller primarily live I recommend the GT-8. If you're mainly interested in a unit for recordning then I suggest the GS-10. I have tried both very much and choose the GS-10.

Everything I've posted in the Sound Clips section (quite a lot) was recorded with the GS-10 in case you want to hear it in real use.

Cheers,

Mats N

8. Kewlpack

Kewlpack Member

9. jazzygeoff

jazzygeoff Member

Thanks Mats, I was sort of puzzled why you were pimping the Boss when I had asked about the Vox, I have checked it out online and am now going to check out the GT-8 as well. Thanks for the reccomendation.

What do you use your GT-8 with live? Do you DI into the board or use a power amp / cabinet combo?