Vox Tone Room help

I figured out how to build a rig in tone room.. but for the life of me I can't figure out how to save it to the amp WITH THE EFFECTS settings. All I can seem to do is get it to save the "amp" to one of the 3 user slots..but not the fx

The instructions are extremely lacking & I see no demo videos on Youtube of a "how to"

Any tips?

aizenx

Yeah, I too can't seem to figure it out. It certainly isn't intuitive - there's like two save buttons - one for saving patches on your computer and the one on the lower right which seems like it should save to the amp, but doesn't (maybe they'll fix it in the next release?). I just found it easier to hold down the corresponding preset button on the amp itself to store it, once I got a tone I liked.

Elantric

There is a help file==

VOX Tone Room User’s Manual

©VOX Amplification Ltd.

VOX Tone Room
Introduction
VOX Tone Room is an application that allows you to edit various parameters of the VOX products from your PC/Mac/iPhone/iPad, and allows you to manage your programs and transmit/receive them with your computer. The edits that you make are immediately sent to the VOX products so that you can check the sounds as you edit them. Since VOX Tone Room can graphically display many parameters at once, all the capabilities of the VOX products can be handled more easily. VOX Tone Room is also useful as a librarian for managing all your sounds and settings.

To use this software with your VOX Product, you need a USB cable to connect with computer.
You also need an Apple USB camera adapter (sold separately) to use this software with an Apple iOS device.

This software is for the sole use of the customer for trial purposes only and not for copying or distributing. VOX Amplification Ltd. or any of its affiliates will not be held liable for any damage that may result in the use of this software. VOX does NOT officially support this software.

Apple, iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. All product names and company names are the trade-marks or registered trademarks of their respective owners.

Setup
Install VOX USB-MIDI Driver in order to use Windows/MacOS edition of Tone Room.
Both Windows and Mac versions of the VOX USB-MIDI Driver can be downloaded from the VOX website. (http://www.voxamps.com)

Connect the VOX Product to the computer, and then launch VOX Tone Room.

The user programs are sent from the VOX Product and assigned to the User Program Button.

Do not operate the connected product while program data is being sent.

DO NOT disconnect the USB cable, or turn the VOX Product off while working with Tone Room. It may affect your program data and information may be lost.

When the VOX Tone Room is launched without connecting any supported VOX products, the "Select target device" window will appear.

Librarian Operation
The librarian functions of Tone Room allow you to manage user programs on your VOX Product.

Choose a Program
You can choose a program by clicking the Program button.
The program data is immediately sent to the VOX Product so that you can check your sounds.

When a program is selected from the File Program list, the data will be transmitted to the temporary memory on the VOX Product and not saved to the user program memory.

User Program buttons are always linked to the VOX Product. When you click a user program button, the VOX Product will behave the same as when you press the buttons on the panel/footswitch.

Saving User Programs to file
To save a set of user programs to file, select “Save USER PROGRAMS As...” menu item.
In Windows/Mac/iPad, you can also use the “Save USER PROGRAMS” button in the upper right of the User Memory section.

Loading User Programs from file
To load a set of programs into User Memory section, select “Load USER PROGRAMS From..." menu itemand select a file.
The programs will be immediatly loaded to User Program Button on the VOX Product.

In Windows/Mac/iPad, you can also use the "Load USER PROGRAMS" button.

Opening Program Files
To open the file including a set of programs, use “Open File...” command from menu.
In Windows/Mac/iPad, you can also use the “Open File” button in the upper part of the Program List section.

The program data will then be added to Program List section.
You can open a maximum of three files.

Copy a Program to another button
To copy a program to another button, drag the program button to the desired destination.

You can drag the background of the Current Program section to store the current program as a User/File Program.

The previous User Program in the VOX Product will be overwritten when you copy a program to one of the User Program buttons.

You can't copy a program to a Preset Program Button.

Editor Operation
You can create your own programs by tweaking knobs and/or changing Amp models or Effect types in the Current Program section.

Since the Tone Room controls your VOX Product in real time, you can edit and test the sound immediately.

Choosing Amps, Effects
When you touch or click on the current Amp model or Effect type, the model/type list will appear in the Model/Type Select section. You can select a type from this list with your mouse or finger.

[Windows/Mac/iPad]

[iPhone]

Turning Effects On/Off
[Windows/MacOS/iPad] You can turn the effect on/off by clicking/touching the On/Off switch above the selected effect icon or dragging & moving the icon up or down.

[iPhone] On / Off switch is included in the effect types.

Knobs
You can tweak the knob value by clicking and dragging the icon vertically, using a mouse scroll wheel above the icons (left figure).
[Windows/MacOS] You can adjust the value of the selected knob (right figure ) by up and down arrows.

MIDDLE knob adjusts the tone for the mid-frequency range. NR knob applies a noise-reduction effect.

Please see the VX II manual for more information on how to create sound.

Naming a program
To name a program, click on the space above the EDITOR Window. You can type a name when the cursor appears. Press the return key to confirm.

The characters you can use in a program name are limited.

Saving a program to your VOX Product
When you have finished editing a program, you can write it to your VOX Product.
Select "Write Current Program..." from the Menu.

If you have Windows/MacOS/iPad version of Tone Room, Write Function button is available as below.

About Data Files
The program files saved by “Save As…” and “Save USER PROGRAMS As…” command have the *.vtxprog extension.

[iOS] It supports application file sharing with iTunes. Please read Apple's documentation for instructions of file sharing by iTunes.

Menu Item
Quit Tone Room

⌘ Q

Quit Tone Room. (Mac edition only)

New File

⌘ N
Ctrl+N

It will create an empty user file in a new tab.
On the right side of the tab, there is a ‘+' button to perform the same function.

Open File...

⌘ O
Ctrl+O

Open the program file on your computer. The program data will be added to the New Tab. You can open a maximum of three files.

Save File As...

⌘ T
Ctrl+T

Save current File Programs to file.

Close File

⌘ W
Ctrl+W

Close a currently selected file in the Program List. You can also close the file with the “x” button on the right side of the tab.

Load USER PROGRAMS From...

Load a set of programs into USER PROGRAMS from file.

Save USER PROGRAMS As...

⌘ S
Ctrl+S

Save User Programs to a file.

Write Current Program...

⌘ U
Ctrl+U

Write the currently edited program to your VOX Product. You can select the destination number in the pop-up.

About

You can confirm the current version of VOX Tone Room.

Help

Launch Help browser.

Quit

Ctrl+Q

Quit Tone Room. (windows version only)

System Requirements
Windows

Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (32bit and 64bit)
XGA (1024 x 768) or higher resolution.

Mac

Mac OS X 10.8 or later
XGA (1024 x 768) or higher resolution.

iOS

iOS 8.0 or higher, iPad or iPhone.

That's a lot of information, but it doesn't clearly answer the question of how to save a setting from the computer/iPad to your amp. Do you simply hold down one of the patch buttons on the VT amp once you have the Tone Room setting you want?

GrantRowlands

I'm in the same boat . . . I think ? I have a VT40X. I like some of the "Presets" ABC for each amp model, but some I would like to tweak a bit, and adjust the volume levels - as some are way to loud. That's the main thing I want to fix right away, the discrepancy in the Preset volume levels.

I've looked at the Help file (that you're pasted above) but I still can't figure out how to save any Preset alterations to the amp.
The 8 x A and B bank 'User' slots are no trouble to save. That part is not a problem. But having the huge volume differences between the Preset ABC patches is a real problem. It means they are kind of 'unusable' in their present state. I do hope someone knows how to sort that issue.

I'm liking the tones from the amp models though. There are some really nice tones in there, and the effects are reasonable as well. It's quite a nice little unit for playing at home. Loads of volume from the VT40X - almost too much for my needs, but I like the 10" speaker in preference to the 8", and that was why I went for the 40X.
Good luck with the Tone Room Editor people !!!

Kyleno

I just got the VT20X and have the same issue of not being able to load a saved preset. For example, I am trying to simply program the A1 to be a clean tone, then A2 to be identical with an added tremolo, A3 same as A1 with overdrive, A4 same as A3 with tremolo. Simply all having the same volume basis with minor fluctuations. Loading a preset just simply doesn't work :'-(

The work around that I have come up with is doing screenshots of each effect and amp and recreate them that way. A long way around but effective.

Does anyone know if there is a bug fix or patch available to fix this coming out soon?

Jules Porta

I'm in the same boat . . . I think ? I have a VT40X. I like some of the "Presets" ABC for each amp model, but some I would like to tweak a bit, and adjust the volume levels - as some are way to loud. That's the main thing I want to fix right away, the discrepancy in the Preset volume levels.

I've looked at the Help file (that you're pasted above) but I still can't figure out how to save any Preset alterations to the amp.
The 8 x A and B bank 'User' slots are no trouble to save. That part is not a problem. But having the huge volume differences between the Preset ABC patches is a real problem. It means they are kind of 'unusable' in their present state. I do hope someone knows how to sort that issue.

I'm liking the tones from the amp models though. There are some really nice tones in there, and the effects are reasonable as well. It's quite a nice little unit for playing at home. Loads of volume from the VT40X - almost too much for my needs, but I like the 10" speaker in preference to the 8", and that was why I went for the 40X.
Good luck with the Tone Room Editor people !!!
The software simply does not allow you to do this. You cannot edit and save the Factory Presets to their original assignment. Your best bet is to edit the Factory Presets and when you are happy with it, just save it to a New File which has 11 slots to save your modified patches. The downside is that you'll have to access them from your computer, or iPad/iPhone, you cannot access them from the amp front panel, unless you program them to the 8 User Programs. It is not very convenient, but at least you will not have the problem of the jumping volumes and when you retrieve them in this way you can be certain you will get the same results each time.

Jules Porta

As an additional tip, you know that you can also load 3 amplifiers to the ABC manual selection. Bear in mind that these Amplifier Presets are only saved with 8 parameters, noise reduction, presence, resonance, bright cap, low cut, mid boost, bias shift and class. In other words, gain , treble, mid, bass and volume, are not saved and have to be adjusted from the front panel when not using the software. I guess there is significant room for improvement on the software, but it doesn't seem Vox is making much of an effort to develop it. So we will have to make the best with what we have. The amp is great, I am very pleased with the sounds and possibilities.

Jules Porta

I just got the VT20X and have the same issue of not being able to load a saved preset. For example, I am trying to simply program the A1 to be a clean tone, then A2 to be identical with an added tremolo, A3 same as A1 with overdrive, A4 same as A3 with tremolo. Simply all having the same volume basis with minor fluctuations. Loading a preset just simply doesn't work :'-(

The work around that I have come up with is doing screenshots of each effect and amp and recreate them that way. A long way around but effective.

Does anyone know if there is a bug fix or patch available to fix this coming out soon?
You should be able to do it by just dragging the window of the modified patch to the desired slot, by doing this you can have 8 variations of the same patch,( 4 on that A option and 4 on the B ). Alternatively use the to right menu, Write Current Program, and a window will pop up where you can select the A1,A2,A3....etc options.

Jules Porta

I figured out how to build a rig in tone room.. but for the life of me I can't figure out how to save it to the amp WITH THE EFFECTS settings. All I can seem to do is get it to save the "amp" to one of the 3 user slots..but not the fx

The instructions are extremely lacking & I see no demo videos on Youtube of a "how to"

Any tips?
My take is that you cannot do this in the way you are trying to do it. If you want to save a complete rig (program) you can do it to one of the 8 User Programs ( A and B, 1,2,3 & 4), or to a New File on the left hand side of the screen, which allows for 11 programs per file. These are your only two options to save complete rigs with effects and all the parameters. Additionally you can save 3 different amplifiers to the 3 Custom Amps, which then will be accessible from the amp front panel, but only with 8 of the amp's parameters, gain, treble, mid, bass,volume and tone, are not saved, they work have to be adjusted to the occasion from the front panel knobs. What you can also do, is save Custom Effects to 3 "pedals" , each pedal has 4 alternatives to be chosen from ( so this again is a limitation, because the software has more choice , but several are not available to be assigned to the pedal buttons). For example, pedal 1 has 10 alternative effects on the Tone Room software, but there are only 4 available as Custom Effect Preset ( Compressor, Chorus, Overdrive and Distortion ). Having explained this, I believe that yet another solution to what you are trying to achieve, is to program one custom amp to your liking, and program the three custom pedals to the ones you want, then, without using the software, you should be able to select the amp with the rotary knob on the front panel, and subsequently recall each of the 3 pedal effects with the buttons, still you will have to adjust gain, the Tone knobs and volume each time, because these are not saved in this modus.

chriswood

Any tips?
Did anyone ever happen to figure this out? I just bought a VT20x and I have struggled all day trying to get the thing to work like a youtube video i saw. The person there would drag a preset to one of his lower bankds it looked like, and instanly it was transfered to the amp. Mine does not doin that at all. It says "not connected". I have tried different cables, different usb ports, using the upper user A and user B and User C, and it seems like maybe, maybe sometimes something changes, but not much.I am ono Windows X, but i havent found any known issues with that.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom