VOX Tonelab LE...UPDATE?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Teh RedWizard, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Teh RedWizard

Teh RedWizard Supporting Member

This pedal has been out for what,about 2 years now? Just looking for an update from those who've stuck with it...how is it working out for you? I'm seriously considering picking one up in the near future here,so any input/opinions are much appreciated.

2. Teh RedWizard

3. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Silver Supporting Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    I use mine weekly for praise & worship services. About a year ago the church switched to direct-to-board only, so I picked up the TLLE because I was previously using a Vox AD-60 at church. The models and configuration of the ToneLab are similar to the AD-60 so I never really considered any other modelers. For the most part, I'm satisfied. The church is having board issues right now, has been through 3 in the past three months, settings that are saved at rehearsal sound completely different as we get ready for Sunday service. So it's hard to tell if any of the shortcomings I'm hearing are from the Tonelab or the board. Generally, I like the Tonelab - it does it's job. I think it's high gain tones aren't as good as the Vox AC-15 & AC-30 settings but that's fine with me -- An AC-30 on the edge of break-up is my benchmark tone. The pedal modeling is a mixed bag. The treble boost is my favorite overdrive on it. The modulated delay sounds pretty good, which is important for the stuff I'm playing. While I prefer the tone of an amp, I'm happy to be able to carry the ToneLab and two guitars from my car in one trip.

Gator cases makes a padded case that works well with it. I'll see if I can figure out which model I have.

4. Teh RedWizard

Have you ever run it into a good,tube amp? That would be my application for the most part,and I'm more concerned with the effects than the amp modeling.

5. AshlandBump

Some, not much. When I get the chance to run an amp at home (gigging is limited to P&W right now) I use my pedal board that is otherwise neglected. I pretty much prefer any of the effects on my pedal board (e.g., DMM for delay, modulated delay, Vox Vibravox for tremolo/vibrato, etc.) to any of the effects on the ToneLab. The ToneLab's utility, to me, is the combination of the amp modeling and effects in a very light package.

6. Teh RedWizard

So as an effects unit into an amp,are you wanting to say that it ****ing sucks?

7. AshlandBump

No, just that I have pedals that I prefer to play through when I'm playing through an amp. Generally, I'll take an analog DMM for delay and modulated delay over a digital modeler any day. I'm not sure (haven't looked into it) but I don't know if you can turn off the amp models on the ToneLab so if you're using it with a tube amp and want the true sound of your amp with the effects provided by a modeler, you might be better looking elsewhere. Someone might correct me about whether or not the amp models can be turned off on the Tonelab.

8. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I've had mine for a little over a year I think....not using it much.

I do like it for recording, noodling, etc. I can't use it live, it takes me out of the music (that's just me) but on your comment...

I found that "through a good tube amp" it doesn't work for me at all. The patches that sound great in hedphones just don't work in tube amps for me, and when I adjust to the amp, when a "good tube amp" I never get a satisfactory sound. I believe it is because it really (for me) isn't that compatible with a good tube amp, because a good tube amp imparts it's own colour to the sound and it is more likely to interfere with the EQ on the LE.

I found that for running with an amp, the best sound I could get was running into the solid state Cube60 (might work great with a power block, etc. too, I only have the one solid state amp to try) with the Cube60 set to JC-120, clean, flat EQ.

Just my experience with it.

9. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Don't buy it for the effects. The amp modeling is excellent, but the effects, while they sound good are next to useless in that it's very limited on what can be combined with what. That's a severe limitation to the thing IMHO. I use the LE for amp sounds and a couple of effects, but the M13 for the bulk of my effects processing because it's so much more flexible.

I plug mine into a keyboard amp for stage monitoring and direct to PA. The patches I use to the PA sound awful going into a guitar amp, although I imagine they could be tweaked to sound decent. Running a modeler into a tube amp pretty much defeats the reason to use a modeler in the first place.

10. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Pretty much the same experience I wrote above. Through a tube amp (especially one that is not pristine clean with lots of headroom, but in my experience EVEN the clean tube amp is not the best use of the LE) I really couldn't get that many sounds I was excited about.

I could only get the best sounds from a flat-EQ'ed transistor amp.