Vox Tonelab SE and Line 6 POD XT Live

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Scott Peterson, Oct 5, 2004.

1. niersbach

niersbach Member

I have the Genesis 3 and the Control X floorboard. I bought them the first week it came out. I really wanted a desktop model since I play on my computer so much and its the same exact thing as yours but its a desktop. I liked it a lot more than the pod when I played it at Mars Music. The only thing I dont like about it is the fact that changing setting on it is so cryptic...i mean there is a lot of stuff packed into it for it to only have a few little knobs here and there and a few buttons...just never liked the hit this button and turn this knob at the same time and it will turn this thing on. I am of the opinion that if you try hard enough you can get some great sounds out of all the recent modeling contraptions...its just a matter of figuring them out.

2. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Administrator and Co-Founder of TGP Staff Member

I had a good friend and co-guitar player in my band at the time own the original Cybertwin when it came out. Sounded great on its own; disappeared completely with the band.

I have no exerpience with the Cybertwin SE at all.

3. amosaic4u

amosaic4u Guest

interesting...i saw buddy guy play with 2 of them and it cut thru great at this small theatre,,, I would use it for recording along with my tonelab se and pod xt live and adrenelinn 2.

4. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

Scott...umm, damn. Those tones are pretty friggin good man. The gap is closing very rapidly now between real and model, it seems.

Dadgumit, now you got me thinking I want one. What's are your thoughts on the amp to use it with? Does it sound better with a tube amp or something like that little JBL you have?

What about running something like the bottom setup from this page:

http://www.tech21nyc.com/PE60Hup2.html

XTL feeding two power engines to get the full stereo feel with seperate XLRs going to the board?

ALso, did you happen to try your Tim into the front of the XTL to give more of a amp feel? That pedal seems to add that feel as well to less ampy feeling amps, I've found.

5. cam

cam Member

obviously, scott is pretty happy with his JBL setup. i run my XTL into a fender hot rod deluxe because that's what i've got, and we've got the same amp at church where i play. it's not bad, but i'm still tweaking to make it better.

a lot of people on the Line 6 Forum and on instituteofnoise.com are just giddy about their atomic amps. i may have to check one out one of these days.

6. Scott Peterson

I am indeed very happy with the JBL setup I have; and that is just that. I don't feel a need to compare amps or anything else... for me it is *done*.

I have since sold the TIM.

I like Tech 21 stuff, but have no experience with the Power Engines.

To me, the paradigm of "guitar/pedal/amp/cab" does not apply. Now it is "guitar/pedal/powered PA Cab" done.

The one caveat is the VHT Tube Valvulator 1 buffer, that is absolutely essential IMHO for what I want. YMMV.

7. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

Now I am reading up on the reviews of these Atomic amps. A couple of those and a XLT sounds like fun :)

8. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

Man, it's tempting... :D

Contents Of Your Shopping Cart
    Name Quantity Each Subtotal Availability
    2- Atomic Reactor 112 Tube Amplifier Slave (Warehouse Resealed) $449.97 $899.94 In stock
    Will ship today
    1- Line6 POD XT Live Guitar Amp Modeler Pedalboard (New) $399.99 $399.99 In stock
    Will ship today
    1 - VHT Valvulator 1 Vacuum Tube Buffer and Power Supply (New) $199.95 $199.95 In stock
    Will ship today
    Item Total : $1,499.88
    Please select a shipping method : : Free!
    Order Total : $1,499.88

Or

Contents Of Your Shopping Cart
    Name Quantity Each Subtotal Availability
    1 -Line6 POD XT Live Guitar Amp Modeler Pedalboard (New) $399.99 $399.99 In stock
    Will ship today
    1- VHT Valvulator 1 Vacuum Tube Buffer and Power Supply (New) $199.95 $199.95 In stock
    Will ship today
    2- Tech21 PW60 Power Engine 60 Matching Extension Cabinet for the Trademark 60 (New) $294.95 $589.90 More expected 12/03/2004.
    Preorder today.
    Item Total : $1,189.84
    Please select a shipping method : : Free!
    Order Total : $1,189.84

Both seem like really nice setups, but the Tech21 route gives you Stereo SansAmp XLRs out to the board. But the Line6 guys say the Atomic stuff is heads and shoulders about the Tech21 in terms of tonage.

9. AndyZ

AndyZ Member

I've been using 2 Atomics with my XT bean and it sounds killer! Live and for recording. The PE60 can't hold a candle to these. From another thread... Not sure what Mastervolume was doing to have his sound so-so. Maybe his patches aren't dialed in right. Just an observation, but it seems like from his post, he doesn't care too much what sounds he's getting for his worship band... so maybe "just okay" is good enough for him. Hard to tell without any feed back on what exactly he doesn't like about it.

10. Papajuice

Papajuice Silver Supporting Member

Hey Scott just noticed you used the deep editor was it the sound diver from the line6 site. And also what type of card do you have to put in the computor for the midi hookups. Don't mean to sound stupid but anything t make it easier, just spent 3hr downloading abunch of sounds and want to make my own.

11. Scott Peterson

I use the USB hookup and Guitarport to deep edit sounds/tones/patches.

No soundcard needed, you can monitor through the POD XT Live with phones.

12. Papajuice

Must be missing something on the Guitar port, did not see where to do the editing. But got alot of tone thru it. Guess it is time to down load a manual for it.
    Thanks. Scott It is great to get help from others.

13. Scott Peterson

Hook up your XTL to your computer with the USB Cable.

Download and run the Line 6 Monkey; it will help you to register and then update (if needed) your XTL.

Close the Monkey, open Guitarport. Once open, step on any preset and you'll see the Guitarport software load whatever preset you are stepping on. Change anything you like; once you have the tone dialed in, "Save To POD XT Live...." and pick your slot for your preset.

You'll never kneel on the floor again.....

14. dyer_maker

dyer_maker Member

I'm thinking about getting a pair of Eon 10's. Looking for some opinions on the matter. Right now I'm looking for something to run the XT into around the house. I'm not using the Live version and I'm not having any success using my Carr amps. I've considered getting some quality nearfield monitors but in all reality I don't have a true "studio" environment. You know the story stuff everywhere, computers are what not, not really the environment for proper imaging. I've also considered the Atomic but the Eon seems like a nice little package and doesn't seem to be too critical with regard to placement. It also seems to be the closest to how the XT was originally intended to be used.

What say ye? Opinions?

15. Scott Peterson

I say yes.

Here is why.

You can use them as PA speakers, if the need comes up. They will last, they are tough. They sound great. They will be easy to sell if you ever decide to do so (keep the packing boxes, you never know). And they are portable.

16. dyer_maker

dyer_maker Member

As I was typing and talking out loud durability did come to mind. Most monitors are pretty fragile, EONs on the other hand look like they are built to take some abuse. The occassional grab-and-go scenario wouldn't phase me with the EONs. Good point Scott!

17. Papajuice

Got everthing downloaded properly. Now it like a kid in a candy store going thru all these sounds and adjustments. And the Eion does sound nice, just got o steal my valvutaltor back from my son's efffects.

18. Papajuice

19. Scott Peterson