1. During the first week of August 2020, we'll be upgrading the software TGP runs on to the currently available up-to-date version. The software version is a significant upgrade, so there will be some downtime as we do the work under the hood. We've got a team of professionals, including the software development company assisting the process. We've conducted substantial tests using backups of the current forum to ensure a smooth and successful upgrade. We've gone to great lengths on the design of the theme (aka 'skin' or look and feel) of the forum to offer a better user experience for members and visitors. The default theme will be new, yet clearly influenced by the classic TGP look. We will have a dark version of that also easily selectable. Also available will be a "Classic TGP" theme that closely matches the current theme you are accustomed to using with the current software. There is also an easy width adjustment to make it set width or expand to your window width for each theme. As we get closer, I'll update everyone so hopefully, no one will be caught by surprise.
    Dismiss Notice

Vox Tonelab SE and Line 6 POD XT Live

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Scott Peterson, Oct 5, 2004.

1. dankayaker

dankayaker Member

Hey Scott,

I'm looking for a direct recording solution, from this thread I gather you're still pleased with the PodXT Live and the VHT ?

thanks

2. rpavich

rpavich Member

Scott,
    I just ordered a PODXT Live from MF "B stock' for 299+free ship.
    At the very worst; I get to use it for a month and send it back.
    I'm interested because I play at church (no amps) and I currently use a PFX9003 which sounds great but no switching available. :(
    The one thing I really do like about it is it reacts like a tube amp, more than other things I tried....back off on the volume..cleans up..pick harder...sounds meaner...I like that.

I usually just set it for a good "edge of breakup" sound with some light reverb and delay and leave it there, until this weekend when I programmed a second patch one button push away that was tremolo/fender clean. It worked so well it got me to thinking that it would really help the arrangements if I could use whats appropriate instead of what's convenient because of what processor I happened to purchase.

the price also was a good bargain, not a whole lot more than the 110.00 I paid for "no flexibility"

bob
    ps thanks for the good review.

3. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Administrator and Co-Founder of TGP Staff Member

FWIW, I still use the POD XTL quite a bit.

I have been using a Radial "Dragster" in front of it for the past month or so; that is a cheaper and IMHO, more effective way to use it.

I use it live and in the studio. For what I do, it is a great tool. But it is only that, nothing more. I don't try to replace rigs with it or anything anymore. But I get some good sounds out of it; but I build my own presets, nothing in it that I use is based off a preset or anything I have downloaded.

4. cam

cam Member

What is that doing for you? Is it just giving you the missing "tube feel" back? Thanks.

5. Scott Peterson

No, it gives back the feel of plugging into an amp; it kills that thin, bright, brittle sound you get plugging a guitar into something other than an amp. Try it, you'll be most impressed. I think it was $40.

6. cam

cam Member

Cool, I'll have to try that. Will any buffer do the same?

I do run mine into the power amp section of a Fender HRD, and it does sound better when I get it loud enough to start pushing the tubes. I think it sounds pretty good, but it's not perfect of course.

7. Scott Peterson

To a point, but this little box works perfectly for the job and is adjustable. And inexpensive compared to the buffers out there that are usually focused on.

I bought it mainly to use on my wireless (and finally, finally, something that works for that job) and on my pedalboard.

I am *very* impressed.

8. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Yeah, I've been using my bass podxt live for about a month now. I'm really not able to get a good sound out of it live.

I think I'll return it and buy some pedals instead. It's a shame, cos I really wanted to like it, but I can't get that "feel" out of it.

9. rpavich

rpavich Member

Scott,
    I've been living without an onstage amp for about 6 months now and I'm used to it..that should be no problem with the PODXT for me...

I'm hoping that the Radial Dragster is everything you said it was because I ordered one last night based on your comments and I'm going to try this rig at church this weekend...(I won't have the dragster by then)

This is a quote from a guitar mag over on the dragster:
    A guitar signal with high impedance doesn't go too well with the input on a sound card or a mixer that has high impedance - the purpose of the Dragster is to provide the guitar with an input it “likes” before the signal goes on to a wireless system. I connected the Dragster between my guitar and my DI-box and got both better sound and playing feel when using Sek'd Amplitude and such like. I also noticed improvement with the Dragster in front of a Boss GS-10 and PODxt. Not the least when playing electric bass...A Dragster is recommended to all users of digital modelers.

My main bugaboo on any of this stuff is that the feel isn't there BUT I'm happy with the feel of my 99.00 PFX9003 so I guess I might be easy to please.

I know that this stuff doesn't replace my dr z and 4 x 8" cab...but I've got no choice on the church gig...just trying to make my playing experience as satisfying as possible while giving the congregation a little different tone for different sections/songs.

bob

10. Scott Peterson

Bob, the Dragster is a great little box that'll surprise you. It isn't hype, just simple electronics. And works.

11. rpavich

rpavich Member

Scott,
    I just heard some clips from this site and I was very impressed....usually the stuff you hear from modellers is "buzz saw" distortion...nobody is willing to go to the "just to the edge of breakup" sound...which is what sets apart amps for me....that's "my" zone...

Listen to this guys blues tunes...very convincing I think

http://www.robtognoni.com/line6.htm

12. rpavich

rpavich Member

Scott,
    One last question: how do you organize the tones inside the unit to avoid the tap dance?

I'd like to be able to go from clean chorus for the verse, to a slightly crunchy rhythm for the chorus, to a pretty biting lead; all without stepping on multiple pedals.

I used to have a Genesis 3 that I taped a legend on the front of the footpedal so the 4 banks were visible to me at all times..

bob

13. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

You've really got a lot of us interested :)

I just went to Harmony Central and there is only one review on this, guess it isn't promoted enough, but...

A couple quick questions. The review mentioned there is no battery, and no power supply (it must be passive)?

He mentions that you "should set it at the end of the chain" after all the other pedals, I got the impression from looking (I could be totally wrong, it was the impression I got though) that you used it first?

I'm really interested in this.

14. Scott Peterson

The HC reviewer is wrong. You put it directly after the pickups; they "load" the pickups.

15. rpavich

rpavich Member

Stomp,
    I ordered one from MF and should receive it soon....I'll let you know how I like/don't like it..

PS Tonight's the first trial of the new PODXT Live..church gig...

bob

16. journo

journo Member

Hi Bob,

I wrote the review for the swedish guitar magazine FUZZ. After returning the Dragster after the review I missed it so I decided to buy one. I still use it and am very happy with it.

Cheers,

Mats N

17. rpavich

rpavich Member

OK,
    First off I have to say; I'm not saying that I'm dumping my DRZ amp!

I took my new XTL to church to practice and here are my impressions...

1.) Ease of setup: Very easy...two cords, one AC cord and a guitar.

2.) Sound quality; Very nice, as good as the Zoom unit I've been using. I downloaded some patches to use instead of the presets and that turned out to me a good move...a few of the patches I downloaded got "double takes" from the band members, they were so good. One that was called something like "P90 Variac Marshall" or something like that was VERY life like...it did the feed back thing just like my tube amp would...it will take a while to sort thru what I do and don't like as far as patches...

3) Noise level...just fine...no excess noise at all.

One person suggested to get better sounding patches, change the output mode from "studio direct" (the recommended setting) to "Bose PS1" even though I'm going thru the PA...they said big improvement. I'll give it a shot next practice.

Overall, I'm impressed enough to keep it. Sure it's no Drz Carmen Ghia...but I didn't expect it to be...but it feels more like a tube amp than I expected...

I have the Tonebone dragster coming and if that improves the feel more...then that's just the icing on the cake...

bob

18. rpavich

rpavich Member

Gig report while using the dragster...

The PODXTL did it's job in spades...lots of compliments on my sound.

I ended up going simple...one basic sound distorted and rolling the guitars volume knob off to clean up the sound when needed and using chorus or leslie and delay for some stuff...the only other sound I used was a nylon string patch for some quiet stuff...

It did a good job and was responsive as anything I've tried...

Thanks Scott for suggesting this alternative to me...again, it will never replace my DrZ amp but then again...its not supposed to...
    bob

19. Scott Peterson

20. akivisuals

akivisuals Member

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but after reading through all 24 pages I never saw any posts about your take on the Atomic amp in your sig Scott. Could you explain how that compares to the JBL EON that you were sold on? Also, which version of the Atomic are you using? I just picked up a used 18 watt version and think it sounds pretty great with my XTlive. Now, I just need to kill the squeak in that volume/wah pedal... Any suggestions? Thanks!