Vox V848 is true bypass???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by joemail75, Mar 6, 2015.

1. joemail75

joemail75 Member

Spent all day researching how to mod my Vox wah only to ready it's supposedly already true bypass. Are you kidding me? Am I wrong in hearing some huge tone suck still? I would have never thought it was already true bypass but when I opened up the pedal it would appear it is. I usually run this first in the chain: would a buffer before make a difference? Anyone else agree they can hear a tone loss?

2. joegagan

joegagan Supporting Member

v848 were all true bypass. i have had a few in lately ( they sell quickly after i put a good pot in them), i did not do a compare on the cord into amp vs bypass signal.
    check your jacks. dunlop used pretty junky jacks that lose tension over time on these ( and all VOX dunlops). you can retension them, this may help.

the carling switch and wire size are sufficient for good tone.

it is possible your carling is making poor contact internally. dunlop switched to having alpha make their DPDTs shortly after this era. the carlings say mexico, the alpha have the dunlop D or the MXR cast into the switch body. otherwise pretty hard to tell apart. use jumpers across lugs to determine if the sound improves. if you get a stronger signal with external jumping, try an alpha made 'D' switch and see if it helps.

3. joegagan

joegagan Supporting Member

i don't think a buffer before is going to help, but try it , see what you think.

BTW, the V848 has a buffer on the wah board despite being TBP. pretty weird.