• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Vox Valvenergy pedals

stagolee

Gold Supporting Member
I hear a buzzy “mosquito from hell” breakup fizz in the upper mids and highs that I’m not keen on.

Maybe I need to hear better clips?

-bEn r.
Are you talking about the gold (plexi?) one? I heard a little fizz as well. Reminds me a bit of the brothers.

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
I was hoping there would be more nutube stuff. If they work good direct, might be a good backup option too.

The-Kid

Pedal Art: CIOKS/Vboutique/Providence Dealer
Vendor
These look sick!!!

Cant wait to try one out and perhaps others will use Nutube as well for their builds.

eriwebnerr

I'm really tempted to grab the Plexi one even though I think if I waited a year it would be $50 on SDOTD :bonk
Well . . I did grab the Copperhead and I'm very glad I did! These pedals are legit. As some brief background, I favor edge of break up to really pushed JTM45 tones. I was a little worried because I thought it might be too high gain or too compressed. Really couldn't assess the full gain range and cleanup from the demos, but with the gain below half and less you get some really beautiful breakup with more complexity, headroom and better cleanup than your average pedal.

I've been through a lot of really good plexi pedals and this sits up there with the best of them. No joke. I generally play into a clean high headroom amp and then use the plexi style pedal like a second channel "foundation" and push it with other drives and fuzzes. I've used the Marvel Drive, JHS Charlie Brown, Gurus Sexy Drive, etc. all in that role. I had currently settled on a Zvex Distortron and am pushing that with a DryBell Unit 67 and a Chase Tone Red Velvet Fuzz.

As good as I still think the Zvex is, the Vox made it sound like a pedal in comparison. The EQ is also excellent on the Copperhead making more versatile and even capable of "transparent" OD tones if you want. Sounds fantastic pushed with other pedals and the cleanup and overall tone are what you would expect from a pedal running a tube at plate voltage. I was very impressed in that regard.

Now the BAD - the enclosure and the overall feel of the outside of the pedal is a bit cheap. The top part of metal but the sides and back are plastic. Kind of expected more given the price point.

The OLED screen is a bit gimmicky but I actually really like it at this early stage. I didn't expect to at all. Its cool to see it operate even in bypass, but I can see how that might get irritating in the long haul.

Price - I got a deal on mine but I think if they priced these a little more aggressively and got some better demos out there, they would fly off the shelves!

I have not tried the direct or preamp modes but given the ability to do that and its tone - it's definitely worth it IMO. Really considering the Mystic at this point!
Others who have ordered please chime in :)

your name here

Silver Supporting Member
The flashing display will cause non-gear heads (most musicians) to flock to ‘em like moths to a flame. I mean, I still think they’ll be a flash in the pan - after all, NuTube hasn’t made much of a splash in all the time it’s been out - but people do mostly hear with their eyes, so.... They’ll probably sell well enough. Especially if Korg floods YouTube by sending ‘em to every Demoer du jour.

Jim Marciano

Silver Supporting Member
Well . . I did grab the Copperhead and I'm very glad I did! These pedals are legit. As some brief background, I favor edge of break up to really pushed JTM45 tones. I was a little worried because I thought it might be too high gain or too compressed. Really couldn't assess the full gain range and cleanup from the demos, but with the gain below half and less you get some really beautiful breakup with more complexity, headroom and better cleanup than your average pedal.

I've been through a lot of really good plexi pedals and this sits up there with the best of them. No joke. I generally play into a clean high headroom amp and then use the plexi style pedal like a second channel "foundation" and push it with other drives and fuzzes. I've used the Marvel Drive, JHS Charlie Brown, Gurus Sexy Drive, etc. all in that role. I had currently settled on a Zvex Distortron and am pushing that with a DryBell Unit 67 and a Chase Tone Red Velvet Fuzz.

As good as I still think the Zvex is, the Vox made it sound like a pedal in comparison. The EQ is also excellent on the Copperhead making more versatile and even capable of "transparent" OD tones if you want. Sounds fantastic pushed with other pedals and the cleanup and overall tone are what you would expect from a pedal running a tube at plate voltage. I was very impressed in that regard.

Now the BAD - the enclosure and the overall feel of the outside of the pedal is a bit cheap. The top part of metal but the sides and back are plastic. Kind of expected more given the price point.

The OLED screen is a bit gimmicky but I actually really like it at this early stage. I didn't expect to at all. Its cool to see it operate even in bypass, but I can see how that might get irritating in the long haul.

Price - I got a deal on mine but I think if they priced these a little more aggressively and got some better demos out there, they would fly off the shelves!

I have not tried the direct or preamp modes but given the ability to do that and its tone - it's definitely worth it IMO. Really considering the Mystic at this point!
How's the noise? I had the vox straight 6 which also ran a tube, it sounded great but was noisy

Beydski

I’m curious about the cab sim. Andy’s demo of the cab sim sounded pretty flat...but I don’t think he had any reverb on it, which wouldn’t compare well to the mic-d amp.

Bucksears

Gold Supporting Member

Thx for the review.
I'm interested in hearing a review on the Mystic Edge.

eriwebnerr

How's the noise? I had the vox straight 6 which also ran a tube, it sounded great but was noisy
Noise level is really good. Very quiet pedal.

I’m curious about the cab sim. Andy’s demo of the cab sim sounded pretty flat...but I don’t think he had any reverb on it, which wouldn’t compare well to the mic-d amp.
I’ll see if I can try the direct tone tomorrow and report back

dswo

I would like to see -- well, hear -- how these pedals measure up against the Iridium.

Killshakes

I’m open to trying these, though I also think that the screen is a little gimmicky. It’s almost like they just had a bunch of little screens left over from the Korg Minilogue.

eriwebnerr

I would like to see -- well, hear -- how these pedals measure up against the Iridium.
When looking for clips I found this guy who does a Video with the copper head into the iridium and he does use it three ways and compare. the tones he gets aren’t great and don’t do it justice imo but it is something to go on.

eriwebnerr

I finally got a chance to try the preamp and cab sim modes and they are both very good! I still prefer running it in standard mode into a clean preamp to running it as a preamp into the effects return. The pedal seems to compensate and add something in each mode. In other words preamp is not just the normal pedal with more volume and cab sim mode is not a just a static filter on the pedal. You can keep the EQ about in the same place and it sounds good in each mode as long as you change the connections.

I was really surprised by how good the direct mode sounds. I also have a Nux MG-300 and I would say there is a bit more air and liveliness in IRs in general but the preamp of the Vox takes pedals better and is more full and dynamic. So I wouldn’t hesitate to use the Vox direct over the Nux. So far there really haven’t been great demos that do this pedal justice, especially in showing all the modes. I’m very happy with it. Worth checking out!

Trending Topics